Friday, April 3, 2015

C is for Cacophony

The chorus of crows across from my house
[For those of you who have read A and B... sorry for the lack of alliteration here--this was written in a more "to write well" spirit and I think it catches a mood.  I have shared this elsewhere, but it is a drabble and appropriate for the day]

I hear the faint hum and then see the leaf-bare trees against the strawberry sky. The hum becomes a buzz and I recognize it, though it would be indistinct to an untrained ear. As I turn the corner, houses momentarily block the trees from view but the sound grows more clear. Individual cries. Caw. Caw. A stray pair of birds veer as far as the street I am walking on and I am confirmed, but by now I have passed the houses and can see the branches well enough to recognize the congregation. A cacophony of noise welcomes me home.

[A drabble is a story in exactly 100 words]

[Cacophony also happens to be my very favorite word]

[Heavy alliteration will return tomorrow]

9 comments:

Anything and Everything Paranormal Blog said...

Neat post.

Sheila Siler said...

The first time I ever heard the word cacophony was in a song our choir was singing the phrase was "a cacophony of praise" - I fell in love with that word! You've done a wonderful description above. I'd never heard of a "drabble" before - thanks for enlightening me!

Jan Morrison said...

I love this word! Thanks dear tartlette!

Melanie said...

Interesting choice for the letter "C". We have a murder of crows in our neighbourhood and they usually start an hour or so before it gets light. Talk about loud! At least they're happy. Not so sure I am at getting woken up so early.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Has such a surreal feel to it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

A great word, for sure! And a nice picture of the crows!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I intimately acquainted with the word cacophony -- I heard it whenever I approached my classroom when I was teaching!!

Chrys Fey said...

You painted such a nice picture!

Helena said...

I love crows, your description of them, and that photo. Did you take it?