Thursday, October 16, 2014

In Which I Try to Face My Failure to Organize


Know how I hate pants? Makes it hard to apply a “Fly by the seat of the pants” methodology to keeping track of stuff and scrambling to meet the next deadline. I do alright (one word—west coast girls are language rebels and alright means just okay, where all right means ALL RIGHT which is perfect, not alright, but I digress) *cough* Anyway... Fine for the writing, but I have been BAD about all the little stuff, and some of that LITTLE stuff for ME can be BIG stuff for YOU... like announcing book releases, covers... doing that promoting of my friends so when it's my turn, I don't feel like a heel for asking.

I've been wondering if maybe a community calendar might serve us all well. ONE place where we all put our own important dates (maybe limit how many each of us gets so nobody goes nuts) but that A BUNCH of us could use to track book releases in particular, but maybe also a couple huge promotional things.

Does something like this already exist and as usual, I am the last to know?

If not...

I'm not sure the best location for this... is it a blog we are all allowed to edit? (that seems messy). A shared Google doc we can all check regularly? I'm willing to take advice here. I think it could help a BUNCH of us. And if it is EASY I could set it up, but it is highly probable it is above my tech-savviness. (taking volunteers...)

I could just keep a calendar, but I already know I find out SO MUCH last minute or late that it doesn't give me a chance to help much, and I really DO want to help.

Anybody else have an interest in this? Suggestions for how to go about it? Tricks you already do?

Maybe it is even we keep our own calendars but put together an email list for people who agree?

A Blog maybe isn't the most ideal place for a conversation, but that is sort of what I'd like to start if people have ideas... maybe we can problem solve.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If we weren't already maxed out on pages at the IWSG, I'd suggest that as a good place to list upcoming releases.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Perhaps a shared Google calender. I'm not really sure how that works, but it's an idea.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

This is a really good idea, Hart. I think my biggest problem with promotion is most of the people I follow on blogs are writers, and we're all just recycling the same things. Also, for some reason as lot of them are YA writers, which I really don't read much of. I think you're the only mystery writer besides Clarissa Draper. I love mysteries! I love memoirs! I love gritty, edgey realistic novels!

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm not sure about the best way to do this either, but i shared calendar with book releases would be great

Leslie S. Rose said...

First time visit to you blog - I totally cracked up at watery tart. I'm the last person to ask for calendaring. I'm still trying to figure out all the Google Calendar colors at work. Good luck in your quest.

Helena said...

I'm lucky if I can remember to hand write reminders to myself on the calendar that hangs by my desk. I like your idea of a shared calendar for releases, and if I come across one I'll let you know.