Thursday, January 24, 2013

Embrace Your Inner Freak


As the Sun moves unto Aquarius, the timing seems right, ya know?

I'm a Cancer, five signs away from Aqurarius, and there is no prediction whatsoever about how we should get along. But I've been thinking about it... My fabulous Grandma Alyse was an Aquarius...

And did you know I had three good friends when I was four... the friendships I've held longest in my life... ALL of whom I am still friends with... who strangely, ALL are Aquarians... Shelley was first... she lived across the street... then Peggy, who probably has been my longest close-all-the-way through friend... and Gary, whose Mom babysat me afternoons after nursery school and kindergarten (because school was half days and my parents worked all day) (and whose birthday it is—Happy Birthday!)

So I was indoctrinated early that people who marched to a different drummer really were more fun to hang around with. They had a better sense of self, more creativity of expression... and while Peggy was with me through those core insecure teen years, so I know it wasn't doubt-free, all these people became fabulously individual people.

You know, Aquarius is ruled by Uranus (yes, there is a joke in there... I will wait for Ron Weasley to tell it, but I've thrown in some man-butts to get you in the mood)... which is the planet that rules MYSTERIES and the UNUSUAL. And while AIR, the ruling element of Aquarius, sort of sprawls everywhere... you'd think it would be maximally flexible, eh? Yet Aquarius is 'fixed'

Tangent: each astrological ELEMENT (fire, earth, air, water) has three ways of being: Cardinal adapts the environment to suit IT, Mutable adapts to suit the environment, and FIXED—there is no adapting... anywhere (and now you know why Taurus is so stubborn—immovable element in an immovable mode, but never mind): So ALL signs are a different combo of element and way...

Return to regularly scheduled blog: The way my good old 'The Only Astrology Book You Will Ever Need' puts it is Aquarius has all these far out ideas (Uranus) but holds to them very stubbornly.


The Water Bearer by Richard Bulman
I think there is some wisdom to take from this. I think people who use society standards as their metric are ALL going to fall short, because they know their inner flaws and foibles, even if people looking from the outside can't see them. But people who decide to be their OWN metric, will always succeed. Because who could possibly be more you than you?

So I'd like to ask all of you to dig for those unique nuggets in yourself and embrace them....

[and if you'd like, you can appreciate that I managed a theme where naked men totally fit the topic, rather than being entirely gratuitous... Though it IS Naked Thursday

But I warn you, if you follow the painting link... it goes below where I cropped it and you will be able to tell he is circumcised... only go there if you won't be offended (he is better endowed than any of Michelangelo's models... I'm just sayin...]



15 comments:

Trisha said...

This is a really interesting post, but... the water bearer. He's noice. ;)

For some reason many of my best friends (including my mama) are Sagittarians. I'm a Leo. But others of my bestest friends are varying signs - one is a fellow Leo, and another is...err, well born sometime in April but not sure on the sign.

My knowledge of astrology really is minimal.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Safe to say, I am not going there, Hart!
If we were all just best we could be and not compare, we'd probably all achieve more.

Briony said...

Trisha - all the good people are Sags ;)

Diana Wilder said...

The best truly are Sags, I agree! Nice of you to post the link to the last item.. Why that hunk is working so hard to lift that small jug... But I digress.
Dang! and it's time to go to work!

Yolanda Renée said...

Now that's the way to wake up -- reading astrology -- what did you think I meant? :)

Naked Thursday, what a wonderful idea!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Woot woot! I'm an aquarius and i love it!
And also i love when you do these astrology posts, because i really don't know much about it

jack welling said...

If we were normal well adjusted specimens comfortable with our sexuality (or lack thereof ), we wouldn't be writers.

I suspect we all spent a great deal of our youth not going to the high school dance, not asking the waitress out, and not understanding our physical counterparts or their desires in the least.

Luckily, that behavior made us good observers and filled us with some bizarre urge to share (over-share ?). We answer this drive with prose. We understand yearning, loneliness, and joy of embracing our discomfort.

We make our characters uncomfortable in part because we know specifically what discomfort and the absence of a retreat feels like.

Then again, we buy wool sweaters and jackets which chafe. Thus, nudity.

YMMV.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Well, of course I had to click on the link and take a look ... pretty nice, lol.

I did have an Aquarius bf once, and he was the artist, musician type who didn't work and, to say the least, that was a very long year.

In our family, we have a lot of Libra/Aries couples. I am a Libra, my husband is an Aries. My Mom is a Libra, my Dad is an Aries. My husband's first wife is a Libra. Her Dad was an Aries and her Mom was a Libra. My stepdaughter's husband is a Libra.

Once, while at a party at my step-daughter's house, I announced these remarkable findings and asked, what does this mean? One of the other guests said, "I know! It means that you guys are all very dysfunctional!" What???

It was great catching up on all of this weeks posts. The poll results were very interesting.

Kathy M.

Old Kitty said...

Lovely Tart! You've totally made my Thursday evening with your most awesomely NAKED link. Thank you and good night! :-) Take care
x

Helena said...

Michelangelo's models aren't that well endowed, are they? And yes, I've noticed.

Damn - I'm a Taurus, which means immovable and stubborn. But I like myself anyway. And I envy you your life-long friends who are still there for you. Now that's something to be proud of!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So I'm far out and stubborn? I believe it.

Aquarius - February 16

Kas said...

My older sister is an Aquarius and definitely fits that description--stubborn to her own far-out ideas haha.

But I'm a Pisces, so we're both creative types although different sorts of creative. (When I read back through my comment before posting I realized this was a completely irrelevant remark and thought to remove it before I remembered as a Digressionista you would not hold it against me.)

I, too, love the astrology posts. I have always been fascinated by it, but don't know nearly as much as you do. Thanks for sharing. :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Hart,

Enjoyed the Aquarius post... I grew up with one... My mother. STUBBORN... WHOA... I am a taurus and needless to say my mom was far more unmoving than I could ever be.

Love aquarius though.. They are bright, interesting, appealing, and are generally a very passionate people.

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm a Pisces, but for some reason most of the people I know are Aries and Leos.

Shaharizan Perez said...

I just can't do it. I tried to embrace my inner freak and it's conflicted. I am a Gemini which is an air sign. I love water and am afraid of heights. How does all this work out? I have no idea. My inner goddess/ freak can't get it together. :D

This may seem like rambling. It was fueled by a legally addictive stimulant- coffee!