Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gemini Tendencies

In Which the Tart is Two Places at Once...

The Burrow, at Burrowers, Books & Balderdash, is beginning a nefarious plan tradition. TODAY, I explain it all to you and give you an example, and TOMORROW it begins. In brief, we have a history of writing DRABBLES (stories of exactly 100 words) to IMAGES. Today we have an EXAMPLE of a project we did in which several of us wrote to the SAME image, and TOMORROW we are POSTING an image, and asking you to join us in the fun... So head over there if you like that Drabble thing, or even if you're curious. Come on, I know you want to...


But I am ALSO doing my regular fitness blog HERE... So there.

And for today, I am offering a LIST.


THINGS I INTEND TO START DOING ANY DAY NOW *shifty*

1)  Lifting weights. My upper body doesn't carry the same unsightly BULK as my lower half, but my arms and back are actually capable of great hotness, if I really try. I haven't been really trying for a very long time, but I keep thinking, “I don't want author photos until my arms have achieved great hotness.”

2)  Using my exercise ball. I'm supposed to. My back feels a lot better when I do, so it isn't strictly for the six pack I crave... but somehow making the TIME is just really really hard...

3)  Giving up Diet Coke. Oh, I know—seems harmless, but I think in reality that when we try to fool our bodies, they fool us back—jokes on us... I was reading a comment at Sugar's blog recently from a person who says there is RESEARCH SHOWING people who drink diet pop actually gain weight—and I believe it. Now I don't know if it's because people think “Oh, look, I gave up the 200 calorie soda, so I can have the extra in dessert.” That's possible. I think it's more likely there is some “BUYA! Not falling for THAT one! Coming from inside...

4)  Journaling points: I haven't written down what I eat since maybe... February... See the trouble is I'm pretty good at calculating and then keeping track in my head—ACCURATELY... so that when I'm DOING IT, it works anyway. But not writing it down makes it too easy to STOP DOING IT... So it is time to get back to it.


Now this week hasn't been as bad as last week—I actually lost a little of what I gained—though not back to my low yet, but I am doing the wrong stuff all over the place... I just need to find my core... the WRITING got back to it this week, so hopefully NEXT week the fitness piece will too...

Because I TOO want to have an admirable behind...

20 comments:

Will Burke said...

I'm as much of a bum fan as the next guy, but if you can mix a sincere pride with a self-depreciating humour, THAT is real sexy!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I like the way your posting your to-do list--it gives you some accountability! I'm going to have to check into doing the same thing. Good luck with yours!

Anonymous said...

Are those photos in this post of you? If so, gosh! - we're so much alike we could almost be twins.
Although we look so similar it's strange that I have almost no interest in having an admirable behind. Strange, uh?

Thanks for another great post
All the best, Boonsong

Hart Johnson said...

Will-I'm blushing! Thank you!

Elizabeth--that is the HOPE--it works with the writing, and for a WHILE it worked with the fitness... lately not so much, but maybe the list will help. I love lists.

Boonsong--sadly--not me. I have taken some 'before' pics, but as I haven't yet 'reached' after... And I think everywhere there are people with different preferences on which body part is attractive, but there is also definitely a cultural piece to it. In the US it tends to be those parts hidden by a bikini, but I hear there are FEET places, HAND place and even *gasp* places people like FACES!

I like eyes myself, but confess to also liking a long, good shoulders (muscular but not too bulky, and a long, lean torso.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Appreciate the photos today, Hart!
And there's something in the dark syrup of diet drinks that negates the lack of calories. Try diet 7up or Diet Rite instead.

Mason Canyon said...

If only I could keep to an exercise routine. I can't even seem to make myself walk around the house twice. LOL Good luck with your to-do-list.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Old Kitty said...

Good luck with getting a pert and pretty bum!!
:-)

I'm in awe at your exercise regime - good luck!!! I think the best thing is to stay focused and to choose whichever works best for you.

Take care
x

Cheeseboy said...

I'm with Alex, photos are appreciated.

Don't give up the Diet Coke, it will only make you moody. At least that is what it did for me, although it could have also been the fact that I tried giving it up during my wife's period. At any rate, I am back on the stuff and loving it. (Although I prefer Diet Mt. Dew)

Hart Johnson said...

Alex and Cheeseboy--glad you appreciate the photos! I find them fairly inspiring, so I am fine posting some fit women now and again.

I am really GOOD about my walking routine--I think today was 70 minutes and I always do my 2+ miles each way commute as a walk... but yeah, the little extras... bad...

I had HEARD about the dark syrup, I think--it also has phosphates which leach calcium, so bad for bones... I have never tried diet Mt. Dew... I LIKE the caffeine piece, so maybe I will see if I like that--used to love the real stuff, but that was because it was basically straight corn syrup with a shot of caffeine! I also really like Sunkist's Diet lemonade (it is a sparkling one and is really good)... okay, so not all diet pop, just diet cola...

Thank you so much, all of you for stopping in!

Ezmirelda said...

Good luck with keeping fit! I'm rooting for you. My mom did this in June but she gave up after a week and a half. sighs...she even brought those expensive exercise equiptment & now they're just sitting in the corner of our basement.

CA Heaven said...

Cool idea with the image and 100 words. Will be back tomorrow, to check the image, and maybe write my hundred, unless my fantasy is completely absent or my mind takes of in an indecent direction >:)

Cold As Heaven

Hart Johnson said...

Ezmirelda-I actually started in January and did REALLY WELL for 3 months. Not sure if it is a coincidence... when my husband STOPPED quitting smoking (meaning he started again after 3 months) I somehow lost my momentum too--I wish your mom luck!

Cold as Heaven, we'd LOVE to have you join us with the Drabbling! I think they are a lot of fun.

Jan Morrison said...

OK - I'm going to have to do this myself but here goes - when I did the 'anti asthma candida' diet by which I lost 15 pounds and it wasn't too bad only I couldn't eat anything - anywho - I wasn't allowed caffeine and I can't take aspartame or any of that stuff - the only think I was allowed was hot water and fresh organic squeezed lemon. I think THAT was the thing that helped my weight fall off - I think lemon resets your whole metablolism. I think starting tomorrow - I'm going back on it. Yes. Of course it was also no sugar of any kind, no wheat, no corn, one small local type fruit a day (an apple or pear), no booze (aaaaagh), etc... but I do think the hot lemon did an amazing thing. bye now. I have nothing to say - I think yo ass is divine!

Hart Johnson said...

Jan-when I was doing really well I was having hot tea every night (usually with lemon) so you may be on to something... I will have to put that back on my list--usually an herbal, fruit tea... with lemon. Won't give up sugar completely as it is ALWAYS followed by a psychological backlash and binge... won't cold turkey the alcohol for the same reason... but subbing that tea for a drink or two each night oughta help!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a wonderful plan Hart. I also will substitute one cup of tea with lemon instead of my two cups of coffee in the morning. Cutting down on the sugar is good also but I just can't completely cut it from my diet since I know I'll crash and binge too.

Very inspiring.

Al said...

"low fat" products are something to be really careful of too. Often the manufacturers put so much sugar in them to make up the taste that the calorie count is actually much higher than the regular product. Moral of the story compare the label of "diet" products to the regular one, often (not always) the regular is better for you.

Hart Johnson said...

Chary--totally with you sister!

Al-Thanks for stopping in! I know I recognize you, but I'm not sure you've been here before. And, I definitely avoid those--it is one of my problems with my mother's house. I'd just rather 'use less' than use 'fake fat' or 'no fat' dressing, cheese, etc. I think USUALLY the 'regular is better for you. Diet pop is just a very old habit.

RaShelle Workman said...

Hart! Haarrrttttt! Thank you for stopping my my blog! I needed you. My upper body can be seriously hot too if I try and you inspired me. I've been thinking I need to start working out again too. Sitting at the computer all day doesn't do the trick. Lifting weights will. So, I'll join you. Hee hee.

Hart Johnson said...

RaShelle--YAY! Solidarity is sisters of the hot shoulders! Only got part of one rep in today, but having someone else at it is inspiring!

RaShelle Workman said...

Seriously!!!! I have these Usana (gifts) tapes/now dvd's from 1962(92ish) that are awesome!!!! I'm going to get toned girl and muscle(ie) in a non-bulky way. =D