Monday, June 27, 2016

Day 7 of 22: 22 Veteran Suicides a day Awareness Campaign



So today I was back at the counter, because cooking dinner was the time I had to sit around (you guys know I write these the night before posting, right?). And I made a decision.. the counter is lower than the dryer. So I was back to two sets of 11. And in spite of sharper corners, I will stay here until I am ready for a lower angle.

This article connects PTSD and depression showing PTSD symptoms are in fact the strongest predictor of both suicidal ideation and attempts.


For males the suicide rate among veterans is about double that of civilians. For women it is three times the rate.

Trauma focused therapy, the standard of care for people with PTSD may not be appropriate for people with suicidal thoughts. This creates difficulty in care. Those with intermittent but manageable thoughts may benefit, but care is trickier with those who have more persistent thoughts.

Unfortunately... telling us what is not helpful does not tell us what is...

6 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Keep up the program of creating awareness. I think this is great what you have taken on. It great when you can benefit from what will also benefit others.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

PTSD is such a mystery and very complicated. My heart breaks for how much we don't do for our veterans.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Even more challenging if the therapy doesn't work.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Oh, T, this is a great series. I love it. I'll have to catch up.

Terra said...

This is a great series of public awareness posts, to help veterans.

Helena said...

Thank you for keeping this topic front and center. The emotional and psychic pain so many vets are in is heartbreaking.