Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Half-A$$ed Update



I almost wrote lame. But a friend of mine recently posted on Facebook reminding me what lame literally means, so I'm trying to strike the ablist word from my vocabulary except where I mean it literally.

If you want deep thought from me today, that was it.

I do have a couple updates and a couple excuses, though, so there's that.


Borrowed, obviously: tagxedo.com
Editing Update

I am about a third of the way through the HARD PASS, which is the middle pass, but the one where I have to make big decisions, rewrite scenes and kill my darlings, for MEDIUM WRONG. It's going pretty well, I think. I am happy. Hopefully I will finish the hard pass before... NaNoWriMo. And then in November I can do my polish on my commute—inputting polishy stuff isn't too hard, so by December, I will be ready to share it.


NaNoWriMo

Ideas keep churning and I think I am going to work with a more thorough planning system than I have for a long time. Still not quite an outline, but I am starting a seven-book series, and I feel like I really want to plan my characters meaningfully. Each book will mostly stand alone, but there is also an underlying mystery that goes across ALL the books, so the pieces important to THAT have to be RIGHT.


The Big EXCITING News

Tomorrow, four and a half months after its release, The Azalea Assault gets its first REPRINT!!! I blogged a little about sales volume a little bit ago with my royalty statement, but what Michelle, my editor, said, when she shared this news was this:

There were 20,500 printed originally.
More than 19,000 have shipped and they have confirmed more than 16,000 SALES.
So this is sure enough, and the reserves low enough, that they are printing 2500 more.

She also sent me the art for The BEGONIA BRIBE cover, but it isn't finalized, so I'm not allowed to post it online yet. I was really pleased, though—it's very pretty. Feels a lot like The AZALEA ASSAULT, but the location is different (Elmwood Park—a real place, but pumped up on FLORAL, which is the primary setting for the story)


And now for my excuses for why this blog isn't better:

Our tub was clogged, so there was bickering, plunging and a visit from Roto Rooter.
My daughter was recovering from food poisoning, so needed chicken noodle soup.
My son needed a water bottle for Ultimate Frisbee.
I was elected to go buy these things, plus cigarettes for my husband which resulted in more bickering (I am always mortified to buy them. I feel like people think I smoke, which I never have.
Neighbors stopped by.
My daughter has pants that need a seam repaired.
I didn't have any good ideas.

*cough*

So there you have it...

Anything exciting going on in your world?


10 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh my stars, your poor daughter!! Glad she's recovering ok! Yay for chicken soup!

And huge congrats on having your book all re-printed!! How exciting and most NAKED!!

Take care
x

M.J. Fifield said...

I'd be mortified to buy cigarettes too. I don't think I would've been that nice.

Congrats on the reprint... that is exciting news!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome about the reprint, Hart!!!

Jan Morrison said...

You're such a doll to buy your fella cigs! Don't think anything when you buy them - that isn't the problem, no? Perception? Just keep on being sure you aren't a smoker and that you respect your guy enough to let him make up his own mind about smoking.
Good reasons to have pulled up (only in your mind) a little short on the blog. I will be borrowing them right now. ha.

jack welling said...

My fullest congratulations on the sales! You are in my Christmas gift basket bundle list for women this winter (that's 22 baskets) so that'll help. Have to keep the locals on the "A" list !

Lovely writing though. I've covered the first two chapters and have it in the "must read" pile on the bedstead. Getting through one a week isn't enough anymore. I'm going to have to get in college shape again.

Congrats. Great to hear about the printing. Wonderful news.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Congratulations on the sales, Hart. Huzzah!

Michael Di Gesu said...

YAY,

The TART has been reprinted! That is AWESOME NEWS!

Nothing too exciting here. Dreary skies, rain, humidity and 80 degrees tomorrow! I really don't like this temp fluctuations... pick a season already! One day scarves and coats the next shorts.

In a mess with the remodel. You know how I hate my space out of sots. This is been ongoing for a month now. EEK! Problem is I have to paint walls and trim... NO time.. What else is new.

On the positive, I started an new film noir novella. FUN! Talk about an unexpected genre twist for this M/G, Y/A writer.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

The reprint is very exciting.

Southpaw said...

You have some excellent excuses.

Oooo, congrats on the reprint. That's good news.

CA Heaven said...

Reprint is a good sign of money flowing in. Great! How much does the publisher pay you per copy?

Cold As Heaven