Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Leigh Moore and The Truth About Faking

So some of you might know I collect twins.  I have several super-fabulous 4th Thursday in June twins and ALL of us write.  Leigh and I discovered each other a couple years ago and were instantly good friends--similar brain processors will do that for you.  Leigh and I have shared ups and downs, neurotic emails, and done some beta reading for each other (which she is AMAZING at--much more amazing than I am, having true training in the trade, so to speak) but I had the great fortune to have her recent release, The Truth About Faking, among the books I got to read early.  I gave it a little excited review last week, HERE.

Most of you know and love Leigh as I do, so I'm preaching to the choir here, but you really should check out her book (and blog), and here she shares a little about accidentally writing comedy...


How to Write Comedy
By Leigh Talbert Moore

Hi, Nakeds! I’m Leigh *waves*, Hart’s friend, CP, and debut author, and I’m here today to teach you to write comedy.

First, open your wordprocesser. Next, put your fingers on the keyboard. Next…

What in the world is that over there!!! *runs out the room*

Okay, I’ll just put it out here. I don’t know how to write comedy. I’m just a goofy nerd, and occasionally it’ll bleed into my writing. When I planned out The Truth About Faking, it was going to be very serious and sad and deal with heavy topics like losing one’s religion.

A character does almost lose her religion in the book, but it’s in more of an apoplectic fit over the mother of my main character.

How did this happen?

I don’t know.

I blame a strong proclivity toward silliness. I grew up watching shows like The Monkees, I’ve watched Clueless a shocking number of times, when Napoleon Dynamite came out, the first thing my cousin did was call me. “This is your kind of movie,” she said. Now my children make me sit and watch AFV with them every evening. And I laugh.

I suppose shtuff like that’s bound to come out at some point.

The problem with comedy writing is not everyone laughs at the same jokes. I tried to get my older brother to watch Napoleon Dynamite with me once, and he just stared first at the screen, then at me as I laughed.

Finally he said, “Is this supposed to be funny?” I think he was weeping on the inside and wondering if I really was adopted after all.

My hat’s off to people who can write true, universal comedy, the David Sedarises of the world. His funny little voice helps, I think.

If I were to give one piece of advice if you’re going to try it, I’d say relax. Take a deep breath. Everybody’s so serious all the time, so start there. And if all else fails, throw in a pratfall. I always laugh when people fall, so you’ll have one vote right here.

Best to all of you! Keep writing and reading! I hope you like my book. Even if you don’t laugh, maybe you’ll enjoy the little message that managed to sneak in after all. Or just swoon over Jason. (That’s what I do.)

Thanks, Tami Hart for having me! Naked World Domination, out~ <3


Links:
AUTHOR


BOOK
B&N
Kobo:

Book description:

Jason just wants a date with Harley.
Harley just wants a date with Trent. 
Trent's still getting over Stephanie.

When Harley and Jason decide to fake date, they uncover a school of deceptions. Trent's got a secret, but so does Jason. And the more time Harley spends secretly kissing her fake boyfriend, the further she gets from her dreams with Trent. 

Worst of all, Harley's mom is getting cozy with her hot massage therapy student, and even Harley's Reverend Dad can't fake not being bothered by it. But when the masks finally come off, can everyone handle the real truth?
Tart note:  HA!  Believe it or not, my funny stuff never is intentional either... Well, not usually, anyway. I think it is funnier when it is more real. Thanks, Leigh!

13 comments:

Laura Howard said...

It's great that you didn't even mean to write funny. I sometimes feel like when people try, it doesn't quite work- like the Napoleon Dynamite debacle- it feels forced!

Laura Howard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Humor is so difficult to do. I just go for an occasional snarky comment and leave it at that.

LTM said...

LOL! Thanks, guys! I should've subtitled this, "Or what happens when a goofball invades your blog."

That's kind of the point, though. Comedy is HARD! I don't know how comedians do it!

I've been pleasantly surprised when people tell me they found TTAF funny. I was going for warm feelings. Laughs are just a bonus. :o)

THANK YOU, Hart for having me today! And thanks readers for putting up w/me! I hope you like my book~ :o) <3

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Leigh is absolutely amazing! She and I met a few years ago via blogosphere, too. I couldn't be more thrilled for her success.

Hart Johnson said...

Laura-I totally agree--it can feel forced. I really am NOT a fan of the Adam Sandler-ish stuff. I like smart funny much better. Silly works best with a British accent.

Alex-snarky works! I think it all needs SOMETHING funny!

Leigh *giggles* Hey, goofballs are good! I should know, eh? And I am not nearly as funny when I try--I hear I AM often funny, but I think much less so when I am trying.

Hart Johnson said...

HA! Sheri-you snuck in there on me! (and me, too!)

Sarah Ahiers said...

I still love that cover. it's so pretty!

RaShelle Workman said...

Leigh - you my friend are a gorgeous - inside and out. The Truth About Faking is on my TBR pile (like right on top). Can't wait to read. =)

Stacy Gail said...

Wheee, congratulations on the release of The Truth About Faking, Leigh! Comedy is so hard to do, but you make it look easy. I'm so excited for you and TTAF, and remember -- goofy is good! :D

LTM said...

Thanks, guys! Hart, yes. Sarah! Thanks, girl! RaShelle, you sweetheart. YOU are gorgeous. I can't wait to hear what you think. Stacy! Thank you, honey!

Thanks to all you guys. Love my readers! :o) <3

Helena said...

I love funny books, so I'll be checking out your "Faking" novel, Leigh. Congratulations!

LTM said...

Thanks, Helena! Hope you like it! :o) <3