Monday, August 9, 2010

Bonding at Sam's Club

A Little History

So when my kids were little we had a Sam's Club membership. It wasn't that I loved Sam's Club—after all, it is owned by the evil WALLMART, but when I had a child in diapers... three pets... A house to maintain... it just was sort of a necessity. Our area HAD no CostCo [read: highly preferable warehouse store] at the time (the existing CostCo's are still a comparatively long way away). So Sam's Club it was.

I worked full time. My husband was the 'at home' dad. So on the weekends I had the kids—he was fed-up and I sort of needed some bonding time. My husband was UNWILLING to do the Sam's Club trip because he had already acquired the delusion that we were made of money and the whole concept annoyed him. So to Sam's Club with the small childings it was...

Eight YEARS (part of which, my family looked like this—miniature kids and me at goal weight)... twice a month (or thereabouts)... the kids and me... Sam's Club. My son—you may not know this—is called Sam. And as small children are inclined to do... he figured if it was called 'Sam's Club' it was HIS. Never mind that the concept of a child having his own warehouse store is a little wonky. He would say, 'there's my club!' as we approached.

About two years ago the savings from the membership sunk under the membership cost... we haven't had a membership because between the drive and our current need, it just really wasn't quite worth it anymore.

But this weekend they had a 'anyone can come in' weekend, so my husband asked if it was a good idea to make a trip... Sure... there is some stuff we could use... I threw it out. BOTH KIDS REALLY wanted to go with me. WTF? They are 15 and 11 now, and they wanted to give up half their Saturday to go to Sam's Club with me? WITH EACH OTHER?


The Trip

(not my ACTUAL shopping cart... just representative) So I got them up at noon—they ARE teens, after all... got them fed... and off we went. They joked the entire time about 'buying in bulk' whatever they saw, they suggested we needed to buy in bulk... 'look, mom—there is a pack of nine phones. We could put one in the bathroom' *rolls eyes* Our house doesn't have nine rooms—no, wait... it has exactly nine rooms... but we'd need a phone in the storage room and laundry room... They negotiated—'you get to pick two snacks, I get to get two snacks.' They harassed me over things they were sure we needed and got all nostalgic over things we used to buy (I gave in and bought snack packs of applesauce). I guess what really struck me though, is that other than a couple movies, the three of us haven't done much with all three of us in a long time, and I think they really MISSED these Saturdays shopping together... such an ODD thing to get nostalgic about, but they WERE. And I really liked it, too. So there you have it... you never know where the moments might poke through. Take them where they come.


On that EXCITING note, I bought two thumb drives and two packs of NOTEBOOKS!!! I salivate when I buys notebooks. I love them... spiral. Three ring... Each one is a novel to me. And because it was Sam's Club, I have 10 of them... 10 novels sitting in the chair WAITING to be written. Makes me all squiggly just thinking about it! And blue, medium point pens! SQUEEEEEEEE!

29 comments:

Ted Cross said...

I so miss Costco. They are the only place that sells the best canned chili in the world - Cattledrive. I wish the company that makes it would lighten up and start selling through Amazon! We who live overseas can't get it anywhere.

Cruella Collett said...

What a wonderful post! Sometimes the strangest things create the fondest memories. I love the imagery of your kids being all nostalgic about this shopping trip.

And YAY for notebooks. How's the typing going, by the way? Is there juicy, cozy stuff heading my way soon?

Hart Johnson said...

Ted *teehee* I definitely like Costco better--they DO have some great stuff. That's funny about the chili though... My husband makes a fabulous home made, so I'm not even sure I've ever had canned chili.

Mari--yup--odd moments... I have strange children... The typing is plodding along slowly (on 13) but I am spotting a couple trouble spots... hopefully quickly fixable, but am feeling annoyed at myself at the mo...

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I like the idea of the mundane stuff being what everyday memories are made of. Like we *think* the kids will fondly think back on the great vacation we took them on, but in reality--they might just remember the times we took them to the store!

We have Costco, Sam's, and BJ's here...and I chose Costco. I fill up with gas there, too. But I usually just go every few weeks *inside* the store.

lisahgolden said...

I haven't been to a warehouse club in years, but I could imagine the fun of stocking up on notebooks and office supplies. In fact, we made three trips to Staples this last week. Heavenly. Even if the only thing I got was a new set of flags for my reference material.

Old Kitty said...

Awww!! It's great that you all enjoyed a nostalgic trip to Sam's Club! I hope you go to many more together!

It was definitely worth the trip for that pack of 10 spiral notebooks!!!

Excellent!

Take care
x

Jayne said...

It's funny what you can get nostalgic over, isn't it? I remember having a great deal of fun with my Nan in Tesco (food supermarket), they had an upstairs department of clothes and we'd go there, she'd count to ten and I'd go and hide behind the racks of clothing. Then she'd come and find me, or rather, saunter around slowly looking at what she wanted until I popped out from under a shirt. Happy days!

Mason Canyon said...

We have a Sam's Club here and a Costco is suppose to be opening up less than an hour drive from me. I understand they are a good place to shop. I must admit, in Sam's I can't help but wander up and down the book and magazine section.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Deb and Barbara said...

Ha -- Deb just sent me her blog-topic for Wed and it is bonding with her family over TV! Funny how our warm fuzzy memories can come out of even the most mundane things. Love it!
B

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth-I think they'd remember vacations, too, if we ever had any money for a good one... but yes... funny what gets sentimental.

Lisa-yeah, funny how much more I like Staples when buying for myself than when school shopping...

Jenny- *snicker* sounds so silly, doesn't it... But YAY! NOTEBOOKS!

Jayne-that sounds fabuous! Makes me giggle though--my friend Tara once wrote a hysterical little story about the Evil Tess of Co... (she was working in a little grocery that had trouble competing)

Mason-I love that book aisle too--that and the movies. I resisted, though wouldn't have, had I seen one from one of my writer friends...

Barbara-too funny! Yeah, I'm the parent out of the loop on the TV stuff. Daughter and I like some similar stuff, but those boys like inane TV...

Sugar said...

Ah, the good times.. I can't wait till my kidlings want to go somewhere, with me, together. *giggles* They always want to go, no matter where.. washing the car, getting girly things, putting air in the tire, etc... but- they practically knock down drag out fight over the coveted front seat. ugh!
Someday..my wish will come true, that they will just get in the #$#$%$^ car without pulling hair :)
and squeeeeee for the notebooks!!! *happy dance*

Talli Roland said...

I've never heard of Sam's Club but it does seem like an interesting place! I love the thought o buying notebooks in bulk.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's been years since we had a membership because it wasn't worth the cost. (Two people - how much do we really need in bulk? The canister of instant brown gravy lasted five years alone!)

Southpaw said...

That's so cute that they wanted to go with you! And it sound like they were, um, lots of help.

Hart Johnson said...

Sugar-we have the front seat battle too, though now that my daughter has her permit, she just insists SHE will drive, if she doesn't get to the front seat first.

Talli-yeah... I think the bulk shopping thing is much more an American phenomenon--in the UK, I have a hard time thinking they'd find enough unused space! And in Europe, I don't think I ever SAW a car that would have held everything we bought with 3 people.

Alex--yes... two have no reason for the bulk! (even 4 don't really, once the baby supplies are off the list)

Holly--yes... HELP. That's the word I was looking for *snort*

B. Miller said...

What a cool story, this entry really made me smile. Thanks for taking the time to go with your kids to do some nostalgic shopping. And thanks for sharing it with us! :D

LTM said...

SO funny! I'm still draggin my younins through the SC, and they whine and complain until we get to the cookie aisle... Bulk cookies... silence.

LOL! :D

It is true, though. You never know when it's going to happen. great stuff~ :o)

RaShelle Workman said...

My kids love to go shopping with me too. It really is a bonding time. Hanging out - getting to BE together. Ya sap, I LOVED this post. Sometimes I'll go, just so we can hang out and I can chat with them.

The Yard Bard said...

I was in a Sam's Club exactly once. I might consider going again, if there are notebooks to be had...

RosieC said...

How great that you all got to spend the afternoon together and you had fun doing it. It's those small family moments that make life so enjoyable. I've never had a Sam's Club membership, nor do I want one (CostCo would be nice, though). Glad you had such a nice time.

Unknown said...

Your minion is here, helping to spread the word. You like nakedness? Check out Naked Jen! She must be your long lost twin. I saw her on someone else's blog and just HAD to tell you.

http://nakedjen.blogs.com/

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like a better bonding trip than a movie because you can talk the entire time. Our household consists of two people and no pets, yet we belong to Costco and BJ’s. I don't know what's wrong with us!

Like you, I get excited over pens and notebooks.

Raquel Byrnes said...

I can't get over how my kids love to go to Costco with me too...although I suspect its the oodles of samples the old ladies in hairnets hand out as opposed to quality time with mom.

I love that you see each binder as a book. Its that type of thinking that will get you ten books done. Great job!

Cheeseboy said...

That is a lot of excitement for three ring binders. Also, I can't believe your husband wouldn't want all those free Saturday samples!

Hart Johnson said...

B. the amazing thing about nostalgic shopping is I HATE SHOPPING! But yeah... pretty groovy...

Leigh-Yeah, the cookie aisle is rough. They got mad at me there because I won't buy Nabisco (or Kraft--anti-tobacco stuff) so the refusal to consider Oreos made me briefly unpopular.

RaShelle--I don't remember them liking it this much when they were younger.

Yard Bird-I'd probably have avoided the whole thing, too, but I'm WAY cheap... and thus, a habit was born...

Rosie--had I a choice, I'd be all over Costco instead...

HA! Amy--thank you for the naked heads up!! EXCELLENT! Always like to know who the world leaders in nudity are!

Jane, that was exactly it exactly--all the laughing at what EACH OTHER was saying.

Raquel-those samples used to be exactly why they liked it, but I think we only had one on Saturday. This was a different level of Sam's-bonding.

Cheeseboy-I know RIGHT? But the hubster is a major food snob.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hart, you're so cute. I love the foto of your family. They are darling! I can totally empathize with your hubby on taking the kidlets there too. I can clearly see and understand why Sam would think that store belongs to him. As a child, I thought that the letter "E" was referring to me because that's what my name starts with! :P

Powdered Toast Man said...

I hated going shopping with my mom. It would take forever. Once I stole a pack of gum and she made me return it.

david Fleming said...

Hey girl - first time on your blog. I love it. I don't spend a ton of time on facebook, but I clicked on something you wrote to me and this popped up. So I read...and then read some more. You are busy, and definitely funny. I'll read some more. Sam's Club was warming.

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth-hubby shopped with the kids plenty, but in shorter bursts and closer to home. He was an at home dad. Love that you thought the letter E was yours!

PTM-*snort* Yeah, I had one shop-lifting episode and had to then go in and PAY for it. NEVER AGAIN!

David! So fabulous to see you here! yeah, the blog has taken over my life, but I love it!