Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Guy Fawksin the WriMo


Burn Baby Burn!

Erm... I meal Hello! Welcome to Insecure Writer's Support Group First Wednesday! And yes, I do plan to tie these three themes together with lesser ado than you might think would be required. But first, to set the mood:

Burning the Guy: a British tradition
The Fifth of November
    Remember, remember! 
    The fifth of November, 
    The Gunpowder treason and plot; 
    I know of no reason 
    Why the Gunpowder treason 
    Should ever be forgot! 
    Guy Fawkes and his companions 
    Did the scheme contrive, 
    To blow the King and Parliament 
    All up alive. 
    Threescore barrels, laid below, 
    To prove old England's overthrow. 
    But, by God's providence, him they catch, 
    With a dark lantern, lighting a match! 
    A stick and a stake 
    For King James's sake! 
    If you won't give me one, 
    I'll take two, 
    The better for me, 
    And the worse for you. 
    A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope, 
    A penn'orth of cheese to choke him, 
    A pint of beer to wash it down, 
    And a jolly good fire to burn him. 
    Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring! 
    Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King! 
    Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!


Know how I love NaNoWriMo?
Know how NaNoWriMo is all about setting aside your inner editor to just write FAST?
Know how it is permission to write CRAP?

NaNoWriMo is like Guy Fawkes, writing a book and the idea was probably pretty good, but the execution is CRAP. But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.

Now Guy went and got hanged and burned and all that, and I don't want you to do that to yourself. But maybe consider that NaNoWriMo isn't actually writing a BOOK so much as a first pass at your PLAN of what will eventually be your book.

So this is NOT wasted time, but if you act like you are done after this, you are libel to get burned. Got it? (this lecture is to myself as much as you--I have a few WriMos that I've never touched again, but it IS worth it anyway)

(was that such a stretch?)

15 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

You are my NaNo Hero, your stats rock. I'm trying not to edit as I go along or over think everything because I see how it slows me down, but damn, it's hard. :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Your NaNo word count is awesome! I'm determinedly trudging along, kind of like a tortoise. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No writing is wasted - it's all good practice.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Very true. Writing something is better than no writing.

T

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That was a perfect comparison.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If it makes you a better writer in the long run, then it's worth it.

Jan Morrison said...

I actually live in a community (all of Labrador and Newfoundland) that celebrates Guy Fawks night. They are up by the dump, right now, as I speak (or write), getting the bonfire going. I'm not going, for the second year in a row because I'm too tired to stand around in the cold - oh ya, it is snowing - and burn up imaginary folks. However, I love your analogy and will now go write my own insecure writers post. Thanks tartlette, you rock as always.

Kim Van Sickler said...

I do need permission to let myself free and just write my story. I am too much of an editor and it dampens my fire like a shuttered flue sometimes. This month, I vow to burn up the keyboard, letting my story snap, crackle, and pop. (Actually, I've just vowed in a previous bloggy comment to make my NaNoWriMo a two-month endeavor, trying to be realistic about the prospects with the new job and all. But I AM sizzling to write!)

Diana Wilder said...

Hm... Are we so tied in to the notion that our work springs fully clad from our heads that admitting the need to tweak and cut and rewrite is a sort of betrayal of writerly tendencies? Hm....

burn, baby, burn!

Julie Musil said...

Crap during November? Check! So far I've written 10k crappy words. And boy, even last year's nano novel is still far from being "ready."

dolorah said...

All starts are good :)

Why am I reading Guy Fawks to the tune of Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald?

Helena said...

Great advice, Hart--I can get too intimidated sometimes by the blank page or computer screen, but if I give myself permission to write crap just to get the words out, then so be it.

And what a cheerful ditty that is about Guy Fawkes. Burn on, Guy!

Holly Vance said...

Anne Lamott, "Shitty First Drafts." An essay we should all have mounted next to our computers.

Anonymous said...

I liked your comparison to Guy Fawkes. I'm one of those people who only found out who Guy Fawkes is when they watched "V for Vendetta".

I hope your novel writing goes well!

Michelle Wallace said...

Great comparison!
Wow. Your NaNo word count is very impressive.