Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Tapping My Inner Slut (Indie Life)

So second Wednesday of every month is an Indie Life blog... You should go see ALL the Indie authors, yes?

You know... there are certain advantages some of us have in this Indie world... because when I want to tap my inner slut... I sort of had an outer slut once upon a time (though at the time I called it feminism... you know... what's good for the gander... all that, but I digress).

Anyway.

So last Thursday (actually Wednesday, but only because I wasn't sure it would work the first time) I pushed publish on my FIRST episode of my FIRST self-published work. It's really out there.

And there are terms that just seem really apt...

Giving it away...

Flaunting it...

Putting out...

But then there are other things I am just less familiar with... For instance I've always thought 'teasing' was cheating... that part doesn't translate. HERE teasing is GOOD, not lousy. Though it IS still manipulative... which maybe I want to be? Am I figuring this out right? I don't LIKE manipulation! In fact I HATE being manipulated and usually rebel, tossing POO at said manipulators! But am I unusual that way? I think some people must like it or there wouldn't be so many who DO it.

And I can't give it ALL away or nobody buys anything!? Gads, this is confusing! So I give a little away and hope they marry me? But I don't WANT marriage! I just want really good sex! Okay, you can see how bumbled this whole thing makes me.

I completely come from the WRONG ideology. I'm all good with parts of it, but I never did master drawing the lines. I guess, though, if people LIKE it, they will keep coming back, yeah?

I think I was more adept with the drug dealer analogy. What does that say about me that I can push it as a drug, but not as a sex toy? Are you all feeling uncomfortable yet?

ANYWAY, episode 2 comes out next week. I am offering it free to anyone who reviews A Flock of Ill Omens (honestly)  by Sunday...

Oh, and the reviews are going well! All my actual reviews (4 at Amazon and 1 at Goodreads) come with 5 stars. I only have a 4 star average at Goodreads, but there is a person who gave it a 1 star when I hadn't actually sold any, and since she wasn't on my list of the 60 freebies I sent, she rated without reading (she has a single 4 star review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and 15 one-star reviews—me and a bunch of famous people... I figured it meant I'd arrived.

I haven't sold many copies, but I didn't really expect to--I gave away oodles and plan to give oodles more... first free day is next Thursday when the second comes out to buy. THAT, I would love help shouting about...

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll help you spread the word!
I just want good sex as well. Wait, did I say that out loud?

Agent 54 said...

Be careful.

Remember when all you needed for safe sex was a padded headboard?

Johanna Garth said...

This entire post made me laugh. Great Moliere quote and personally, I'm more comfortable with pushing sex than drugs ;)

Julie Musil said...

Yay for you! And you know what? I think giving away a taste is super smart. I think of "Wool Book 1" which is free. After reading book one I immediately downloaded the omnibus. So keep flauntin' it honey!

Liz Blocker said...

I laughed my way through this post, top to bottom. (Bottom to top? Top or bottom? Er...)

Manipulation is the not-so-secret tool of every artist. Oh well. The best we can do is try not to be TOO heavy-handed about it. And also, feel badly about it ;)

CONGRATS on self-publishing!!

Luanne G. Smith said...

What is it with those one star bandits? How sad does your life have to be to assign yourself the duty of bringing other people down? Blah.

Anyway, I do think there is meaning in the madness of free. I didn't used to feel that way, but I see how if you're doing a series it is beneficial to get people hooked on your drug and then have them pay for the rest. Neil Gaiman has a video interview that has made the rounds where he talks about piracy and how people stealing his stuff actually spread the word for him and increased his sales for American Gods. Word of mouth works, even when it's thieves talking apparently. :)

Unknown said...

LOVE that quote! LOL

Reading reviews will make you crazy, lady! Or maybe just a crazy lady? :D

Vashtiqvega43 said...

Congratulations on publishing your book! This is a funny post. I really enjoyed it.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Why buy the cow right? I'm glad you're getting good results Hart!

Jai said...

Well, I didn't realize you had another book out. But I've been away from the interwebs trying to write and I probably missed it.

I love your writing and just bought A Flock part 1.

I loved this post. It was great.

Kimberly said...

Yay for pushing the button! I've yet to do that - it's so scary. (but I'm going to!!!)

I just read about it on Amazon and pushed the buy button. This looks like something me and my daughter will enjoy!

Congrats!

Helena said...

Aack! I bought it already but I haven't read it yet, so my apologies. But I promise to finish it by this weekend and review it too.

I think you're doing just fine with reviews and sales. I know that the book world has adopted the movie industries' silly must-be-a-hit-immediately business model, but with books word of mouth is what really works, and especially so for indie books.

Kelly Steel said...

Congratulations! And well done!

Fun post!

Yolanda Renée said...

So funny and so true! Sounds like you have handle on it though! Love that you share the journey with us.

Good luck!

Oh and 1 point reviews - almost automatic anymore the minute you receive a 5 star one! And the nastiness continues!

DeConstruction of the Sekuatean Empire said...

Of course, you had me at 'slut' but I thought the flocks were birds, merely birds of ill omen, not flocking sluts!

jack welling said...

Hart

Love the layout at the top of the blog. Very nice. Great.

Can you make the cover images hot links to your favorite purchase site? I would bet the attractiveness of the covers will lead to some impulse buys. Great set by the way.

All the best.
Jack

Tia Bach said...

Yeah on hitting publish. Love this witty post, and it really all is confusing isn't it? Tease but don't give it all away is only great advice if you are talk book promotions. ;-)

So glad I joined Indie Life this month. It's always amazing to meet more indie authors.

Tina said...

Oh, my dearest Hart-Tart. You totally crack me up with your analogies!!! I don't know where the line is either...I totally want good sex. too. Who doesn't? I mean, even Alex said it out loud...
Tina @ Life is Good