Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jaguar, Jabberwocky & Johanna


mama and baby
Jaguar

These beauties are my favorite of the big cats (though I love all of them). They seem the perfect mix of sleek and powerful. And I especially love how on the black ones, you can still see the spot pattern—that's just cool... it's like they're super secret jaguars disguised as black panthers, though of course black panther is really just a generic term for black big cats, so they really ARE black panthers... but still...



The Jabberwocky

And when I say Jabberwocky, I DO appreciate the actual poem by Lewis Carroll, but I am throwing out some appreciation for sounds in general... how you can generate emotion with nonsense, just because certain sounds carry certain connotations with them. The Jabberwocky is totally creepy and frightening, even though the actual words don't say a thing.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
  Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
  And stood awhile in thought.
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
  The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
  And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
  The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
  He went galumphing back.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
  Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
  He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.

Read this one first
Johanna Garth and Losing...

Johanna is one of my buddies I met on ABNA, but has become great blogger buddy, too. And if you haven't read her books... they are women's fiction, but the two that are out are Greek mythology retellings based on the Persephone/Hades story. She does a great job. I've read both and thoroughly enjoyed them!

Losing Beauty

Losing Hope

You should follow Johanna's blog, too, though she has taken April off.




15 comments:

gae polisner said...

you do know i can recite jabberwocky by heart? <3

Old Kitty said...

My favourite sounding words - jubjub bird! I just like saying this phrase - jubjub bird!

Take care
x

Tonja Drecker said...

I love that poem! So glad you mentioned it. It's amazing all the things one forgets :)

Scotti Cohn said...

This post was absolutely brillig! And speaking of black jaguars, in my children's book Big Cat, Little Kitty, the illustrator did a magnificent job with her picture of a black jaguar, spots and all.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Your posts are always filled with fun and beauty. Thanks! The ghost of Lewis Carroll tips his mad hatter's hat to you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Johanna's book is a good choice!
And you can still see the spots of the jaguar even through the black coat.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Hart,

LOVE< LOVE > LOVE this cat.... Gorgeous!

Johanna is a real sweety. We've been blogger pals for ages!!!

Hope all is well with you!

Samantha May said...

I love big cats! Tigers are my favorite, but Jaguars are a close second. If there was zero chance that they could kill me instantly then I would love to play with them :)

The cat from Alice in Wonderland always creeped me out. That's the one cat I do not like.

The book cover is really gorgeous. It's so simple, but it's beautiful!

Thanks for visiting earlier. Happy A-Zing!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

My Aunt used to have a sleek black panther sculpture thing in her living room. I always thought that it was cool.

I'll keep my eyes open for Johanna's books now.

Great job on your A-Z posts, Hart.

Kathy M.

Jai said...

I love the Jabberwocky. I had to memorize it as a kid. It was frightening and cool all at the same time. I loved the words and the feel. It may have started my love of Stephen King.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Great post, and lots of tongue twisting with the Jabberwocky poem by Lewis Carol. Isn't that from Alice in Wonderland? And thanks for visiting my blog.

GeoffN. said...

Bit of tabletop gamer/Jabberwock trivia. The idea of a vorpal sword was coopted by the makers of D&D as a rare and powerful magic item that could be found in-game.

Also, this.

Geoff at ROFL Initiative

Helena said...

I once saw a tumtum tree and it was in bloom...

Who knew that Lewis Carroll was the ancestor of Dr. Seuss?

I love the title "Losing Beauty."

Unknown said...

Wow. Haven't heard that poem in ages. I remember it from my childhood. And you are right, jabberwocky is an awesome word. We need more words like it!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hart .. I love the photo of the Jaguar and pup .. just stunning.

While the Jabberwocky poem - I love it .. so great you wrote the whole thing out for us ..

Cheers Hilary