Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Two Tartlet Minis

On the second day of Christmas, her Tartness gave to us...

Two Tartlet Minis
and a Boy Toy on a Hay Bale...




Twas the night before Christmas
and out in the den
The cat was attacking
the lid of a pen

The tree gave a shaking
each time that she lept
and I wrapped my packages
while my family slept

When from the back room
I heard a faint hum
I swallowed my mouthful
of eggnog and rum

I perked up my ears
and listened once more
then I walked to her room
and I stood at the door

I heard a small giggle
and saw a flash of light
then I opened the door
and I glared at the sight

“If you're texting all night
then Santa won't come.”
She rolled up her eyes
Like I thought she was dumb

“Well you'll wake up your brother
if you don't go to bed.”
“I'm already awake.”
a scratchy voice said.

“Who do you think I was texting?”
My daughter asked me.
“Well you'll wake up your father,
So lights out, on three!”

And I heard the text clicking
As I shut both their locks
Merry Christmas to all
Even the cat in the box...


erm... sack, I mean...






Thing 1 says “Merry Christmas!”



Thing 2 says “Merry Christmas!”

4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love it! And Thing 1 and Thing 2 are cute kids, Hart.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Hart Johnson said...

Thank you, Elizabeth! They are trying... it is funny because for YEARS they fought ALL the time (Thing 1 hasn't forgiven us for taking her only child status away) but they do seem to do a little texting and are suddenly getting on just a tiny bit better.

M.J. Nicholls said...

Tartlet Mini sounds like a sleek little car. A Mini for very small ladies of the night. Eek. Or not.

Fun poetry action! You should write comedy poems under a pseudonym: the market is ripe around Xmas.

Hart Johnson said...

Thanks Burt!

Mark-you should see me with a Christmas carol! (maybe you WILL)--I love messing with lyrics of established stuff--I have an easier time with words than cadence, so borrowing from someone ELSES cadence is about my speed where poetry and songs are concerned.

Look at me! I'm a car! Oh wait... those are my children...