Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

My husband gave me a bad time last night, something to the effect of, “What-- resolutions you'll never keep?” And it's true, I don't always manage all of them, in fact sometimes I manage none of them. But I'll tell you what I told him, because I believe it's true. I do a far better job on these goals when I set them as resolutions than when I don't. I think it is the “on your mark, get set, go...” thing. A starting point I can anticipate forces my hand. It may ALSO help that January is a miserable, depressing month anyway. I went to college on a quarter system, and winter term was short (typically only 9 weeks) which meant that there were ALWAYS tests and papers, the whole freaking term. There was no opportunity to take any down time. And you know what? I always got my best grades winter term. (spring was worst because suddenly the hot, naked men came out of the woodwork, but I digress...)

Anyway, I think there is a trigger in my brain that in winter I can grit down and just get to it. So without further ado...


I. Book Tour Fitness Plan

A. Lose XX pounds through following Weight Watchers eating (counting points for food), modified for my lifestyle as detailed a few days ago, and adding exercise as follows.

B. Aerobic activity 6 days a week minimum.
    1. Walk to and from work ALWAYS (barring ice, sub-zero temperature or more than 4 inches fresh snow)
    2. Do intense aerobic activity 4 days a week (enough to sweat) for at least 45 minutes.

C.Strengthen core and build muscles (20 minutes, 6 days, alternate)
    1. Exercise ball for core
    2. Use hand weights for arms, shoulders, legs...

D. Increase flexibility: You know, I used to be really bendy. I was a gymnast once upon a time, but after 25 years of fitness exercise without adequate stretching, it's gotten bad. I will do 10 minutes a day, immediately after the muscle stuff.


II.Make every Feasible Effort Publish
A. Write, Write, Write: continue nightly dedication following the plan I've laid out to meet all the pans I've got going at the mo.

B. Continue Networking
    1.Facebook
    2.Blog network
    3.Dig deeper for connections (follow up on Borders woman)

C. Follow Query Plan until it works

D. Edit in designated months (those corresponding to query intense months)

E. Participate in Friend NoWriMo in June and NaNoWriMo in November.

F. Amazon contest if queries have no nibbles in January.




III. Work harder at making myself easier to live with.

A. Dedicate a Saturday a month to an organization project (for hubby)

B. Try to keep my crap out of the living room so at least ONE room is clean.

C. Try to fully listen to kids.

D. Meditate on this mother thing.


IV. Work at organization in the NON-writing parts of my life

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hot naked men in the spring term in Oregon? - you have great hindsight = have the happiest of 2010. This is the year you will get the WHOLE TRILOGY PUBLISHED. I know it, ordain it, will it; ask angels for it. xxx <3

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm suddenly feeling really, really slack!

I like your plan about being easier to live with. I think I'm going to work on that one, too...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Hart Johnson said...

Thanks to both of you!

Elizabeth-you do a TON--it is just so natural to you that it doesn't always register.

Marian--I think they only SEEMED naked compared to the rain gear required until April, but it sure was a clear transition from frog men to near nudists.

Jan Morrison said...

wow! that's a tight plan. Stick some nakedness in there and some chocolate and you'll do fine.
Happy New Year dear Tartlett!

Hart Johnson said...

Ack! I forgot the Naked World Domination Plan! How could I forget to put that? Oh right... because if my strategies are released then those prudish folks out there can set up defenses! Can't have THAT!

No worries. Nudity is ALWAYS part of the plan!

Happy New Year, Jan!