Thursday, July 28, 2011

Possum Protest

This isn't HIM, but ours is LIKE him.
Primary progeny peered into purple. A Possum posed, then paraded from the periphery into our garage proper. He placed paws and pranced, priming himself for people. Primary progeny went in the other door. Papa not present; she told me.

Perchance... possum poo provided proof of persistence. Pesky possum parks his posterior on our property! People peeked in peripheral places, but possum is perhaps paranormal... alas... paranormal possums wouldn't poo...

Perhaps a party with pounding will displace possum! No pasta, pears and pale ale for him! Possum parties provide pokes and prods. People will prevail! If pernicious possum would just appear.




A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

This drabble happens to be a TRUE story... we've had a regular garage visitor in the form of a possum, and the bloody thing POOed in there! He doesn't seem to live there, though, as I hear they are stinky, and we've not experienced that...erm... and we can't FIND him... But consider this... if you are going to frequent someplace you've not been invited, please be considerate about where you poo.

Erm...

See, now I wouldn't mind THIS guy...
And this whole thing brought up THIS...

Why do Australians and New Zealanders have CUTE possums, and we are stuck with ROUSs? Aren't the Australians RESPONSIBLE for the things? *scratches head* though I don't know why anybody BROUGHT them here from Australia... the black squirrels from Japan, I get. They make me happy. Possums? Not so much. Could be worse, though. Out in Oregon they ran the size of Volkswagens. The daughter called this one huge, but I think she meant... you know... compared to the chimpunks (our other garage guests)--he is more house cat sized.


And in other news: third Draft of BEGONIA BRIBE is with readers... I sent a version Sunday but only the first half had gotten a polish (I just wanted to meet the original deadline I'd given, in case they'd penciled me in—so they could get started...

Or these!  So cute!
Now I turn serious attention back to KAHLOTUS while they are reading. Amy (Double-Agent 2) asked about it this week... which excited me. I love to hear that she is eager to see how my changes come out. I told her mid-August, so I have my work cut out for me—I am on chapter 7 of, I think 40. About half of it is smaller changes, at least initially, because Helen's PoV is already there and the only changes will have to do with ripples from the other changes. But the other half I need to think on and rewrite—which details HAVE to be there, even though they are currently known only by the OTHER PoVs in the first draft? How do I rewrite it realistically so she WOULD know?

I also thought hard, based on feedback from Leanne... what is the solid, underlying theme, or goal for my MC? I've come up with it. Purpose. She lived a sad life, afraid, in pain... and she escaped it without really living it. She has a second chance now, and maybe her death can be more meaningful. Oh... and based on a blog by my new Potterhead buddy SP, at Harry Potter for Writers, I decided to write intentional character arcs for more characters than just my MC. Two of the characters really had them anyway (Helen and Serena) but there are a few more important characters and it seemed giving their personalities intentional direction gave me some nice conflict and would make the story more satisfying.

I honestly sort of like doing this in the REWRITE rather than the first draft, as I think I can be a little heavy-handed if I try to do that from the start.

So there we have it. The PLAN. BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

18 comments:

ViolaNut said...

So I heard the possum drabble in the voice of the infamous Randall... *snort* Going to go print your cozy today and hope to get cracking on it tonight, as I only have a 4-hour workday. Good for sanity, bad for wallet. :-P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck with the rewrite. Don't know why we got the ugly opossums. Least it wasn't a Tasmanian Devil, Hart!

Al said...

I have to say our possums beat your opossums for cute hands down.
Sugar gliders are the cutest I think.

Sue said...

Love the drabble, and I think your possum is cute with his little snub nose and sweet ears! Ours get in ceiling cavities and thump around in the wee small hours, are extremely destructive and fight loudly - always at around 3am with a stray cat. I think they're a different species (?) to yours. Are yours a marsupial?

They're were introduced to NZ from Aust, and have become a pest there. They process them for the fur and spin it with wool and alpacca to make a wonderfully warm, lightweight yarn. I'm wearing snug socks and jacket right now - toasty warm!

Er, sorry, that's probably more than you wanted to know.

I'm exhausted reading what you're up to, hope it all goes smoothly.

Unknown said...

I think they're cute!
Writing stories with so many Ps must be difficult. Hope you have a great re-write.

Shelly said...

Loved your Drabble, and feel your disgust with possums. We have the ugliest ones on the planet all over the place down here. We absolutely got the short end of the stick when it came time to distribute the possums of the world.

Old Kitty said...

Pandas are perfectly pretty too!

:-) And most NAKED! Take care
x

Hart Johnson said...

Leanne-YAY for a 4 hour workday! Though, yeah, I hear you as an hourly worker... (get that editing business going, chica)

Thanks, Alex! Though... I'd like to see a Tasmanian Devil--he was my favorite character from Bugs...

Al--Sugar Gliders, eh? even sound cute!

Sue--you must be using the Ugly to Cute scale (which i frequently do... and usually do with Possums... just not when they are in our garage. I like raccoons better not in our garage, too). I had NO CLUE they used them for wool though!

Clarissa-there are easy letters and hard letters--for me, P is easier than most, though a little low on verbs...

Shelly-yeah, who do we talk to about possum equity!? teehee

Jenny-I LOVE Pandas. We don't even have UGLY pandas here... not a panda in site...

Michael Di Gesu said...

Good luck Hart....

Re-writes are all the rage these days. I am on another one for BG. I got some terrific feedback from my CP'S. Now to just implement the ideas into my ms... HA!

Your possum points were quite funny.... Nice use of all those P's.

I have a fun HP article for the Thestral Gazette at Laruel's Leaves, http://laurelgarver.blogspot.com/ if you've tot a minute.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love the alliteration.

Helen Ginger said...

Totally liked the drabble.

You have a PLAN. Not a plan, but a PLAN. Isn't there a saying that starts, The best laid plans of mice and men.... Gotta have a plan.

Misha Gerrick said...

Aw man. I think your possum is cute too. On the other hand, that might be because we don't have them...

I like the character arcs idea. Good luck!

Hart Johnson said...

Michael-*snort* Good to know I am fashionable with the rewrite trend! I will have to check out that post!

Michael-is there an echo? Thank you!

Helen--YES! a PLAN!!! But you forgot the evil laughter...

Misha-they actually ARE sort of cute... erm... except when they hiss... it really IS the ugly to cute scale though...

Johanna Garth said...

Your possum is pretty cute! I've never seen a fluffy possum before and I think I might trade possums for raccoons which is what we have in abundance.

Good luck with rewriting!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, I see more raccoons than possums here, too--about the same ratio as Oregon, I think. Raccoons are cuter, but definitely more aggressive, too. (and smart--they will work in teams and take of garbage lids). But I find their little bandito faces too endearing to dislike them...

Tonja said...

Last week a possum walked across my back yard. My daughter said, "Cute," at the same time I screamed, "Oh my God, evil possum!" I stared at it until it walked out of our yard and then far, far away. Possums creep me out.

Powdered Toast Man said...

Go find where that opossum lives and poo in their home. Take a tinkle while you are at it.

Missed Periods said...

The creepiest thing I ever heard was that my friend woke up and saw a possum perched on her dresser watching her. I think I would need therapy after that.