Tuesday, July 26, 2011

An Idea Worth Exploring

I visited very few blogs yesterday (sorry about that)--I am feeling a little overwhelmed with keeping up (catching up?)... but one I DID read, which I haven't for a while, as I usually feel stronger obligation to my buddy blogs than the blogs where I'm just a fangirl, was The Rejectionist.

There must have been a sense of kismet at play... She had recently been to PORTLAND... (you know... MY Portland...) for a conference and while she was there had a little magical experience at Powells.  You should go check out her account, and then come back so we can talk about it.

Some of my favorite books...


Did you go yet?

Because NOW I want to talk about this for real... this idea of leaving little love letters in books for the next reader who comes along.  It's a bit of brilliance, isn't it?  Makes a reader feel connected to the LAST reader of the book... makes a reader feel more connected to the BOOK...

Ha!  Can't do THIS on Amazon! *cough* 

Okay, so I don't really want to stick it to Amazon--I love Amazon in a lot of ways. But I ALSO really love local (particularly Indy) book stores.  Wouldn't it be BRILLIANT to start a campaign whereby we all went into our local Indy bookstore and left a love letter (about the book) for the next purchaser of the book that most enchanted us?

I considered libraries, but we can't do it when we check a book back in, or it risks falling back OUT--halve to go in and put it between the pages while it's on the shelf waiting to be selected...

Still... I love the Indy Bookstore idea because I really want them to survive and I think they are in more danger than libraries.

What book would you leave it in?  I am still trying to decide...

I think, while I have some deep favorites, that it needs to be a book that has some magic to it. The obvious answer would be Harry Potter, but I ALSO think I'd like it to be a lesser known treasure... one I don't think the world has had a chance to learn about... love letters, after all, are a little bit private...

Hear that Nicola? I am headed in for a little mischief...

22 comments:

Sue said...

That is so much fun! I love the letter and the drawing. I think I'd leave it in ... oooh I feel like a kid in a lolly shop - so many options to choose from. Perhaps The Secret Garden?

What a lovely lighthearted distraction from the heartache around the world. thankyou

Sue

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Very interesting idea! I also read a post yesterday about a reader who likes to leave sticky notes in library books, saying things like "loved this part" or "this chapter is good" that kind of thing. I'm not sure I would like to find other people's sticky notes in my library books however.

Jan Morrison said...

Yes, good idea. Isn't there a thingy by which people leave books places and they get sent on. I know there is but I'm a bit muzzy this morning and can't remember what it is called. Oh well. I think I would leave a note in so many books. Maybe all that I read. How would that be? I have a friend who is a mad reader and she writes on the edge papers for her daughter who is coming up behind to read those books. I like this. Maybe all books should have a space so you could just write in them - especially library books. Here is something weird. My mum died in 92. She was, of course, in the middle of a novel. I read it while I was home and the ending was such a lunch bag let down. That, I realize, has nothing to do with the topic at hand - but perhaps I should go into libraries - find that book and write a note - "Dear Reader, this book had great potential and satisfied up until the ending BUT as you know - that is not nearly good enough. Love, a concerned stranger"

Old Kitty said...

Oooh I do know that lovely Words a Day blogger and her poetry group did something like this last year - they left poems in books that they loved in bookshops. Very sweet idea!

Time to get NAKED! Take care
x

Unknown said...

OMG that's a brilliant idea! I wish we had an indie bookstore around here... *sigh* Stupid middle-of-nowhere.

LTM said...

this is the sweetest idea ever. Now I want to go to the bookstore w/my little notebook~ <3

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Hmmm...leaving a lil bit of tart in the books you have visited. That's interesting. I think I wouldn't mind that at all.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

That is a great idea and...so non technical. Requirements: Paper, writing utensil and a book.

Woot!

Misha Gerrick said...

That sounds like a great idea! Now you have me thinking about it too...

VR Barkowski said...

Yay indie bookstores! Love this idea. I'd probably choose The Hobbit. It's the first "adult" book I ever read. I still reread it once a year, even though I never reread books. It's a pilgrimage. In fact, I may spend the afternoon sketching hobbits.

erica and christy said...

The only bookstore we have is Borders, which of course is leaving (and even that one was 20 miles from me). No indies (except for one local store that sells books by local authors - mainly nonfiction). :(
erica

Hart Johnson said...

YAY! I'm so thrilled people like this! I feel so sad for those of you with no nearby stores! I know though, we are down to only one Indy--it is just the way things go.

I'm excited people like this idea!!!

Kit Courteney said...

Great idea!

I wonder if Jan is thinking of this:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

I've had the little badge on my blog for ages and love this idea.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think leaving them in lesser-read books would be best.

Johanna Garth said...

I love this idea!! My brother-in-law is visiting and headed to Powell's this morning. I'm going to tell him to look for 'love notes'

Talli Roland said...

Oh, that's a great idea! Here in London we have a lot of charity bookshops (secondhand stores), where I love to browse and stare at the inscriptions people have written and wonder about the story behind them.

Hart Johnson said...

Kit-that Book Crossing looks very cool! I love the idea of a book traveling around!

Alex-I think so, too--it just seems a better reward when it's a more hidden treasure.

Johanna-YAY! Portland is such a great place for books. I totally wasn't surprised that was where this happened.

Talli-I think second-hand is a great place, too! (and those may be easier to come by than Indies)--I love the inscriptions, too.

Ciara said...

Love this idea. HP was my first thought also.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, too! Keep us posted. The only indie in my town is a 2nd-hand mystery bookshop. Cute, but limiting (although I did cut my teeth on Agatha Christie). Our Borders closed during the first round, and there's a B&N. Sigh.

-Vicki

Arlee Bird said...

What indie bookstores? I don't think I have any near where I live. They do sell books in Walmart and Target, but they usually don't have the books that I read and like.
I'll stick to my Amazon reviews I guess.

But I'd love to find a "love letter" from a previous reader of a book in the pages of a book that I bought. That would be kind of cool.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Alison DeLuca said...

Thank you for pointing me to The Rejectionist, because that is one heck of a blog. What a great read! And what a great idea!

I have a friend who, right now, is on a fashion-buying tour of Europe. She is incredibly beautiful and has an entire room in her apartment as a closet.

Here's my dream: to go on a second-hand bookstore tour of Europe. And have an entire room in my house filled with books. But instead, I'll have to waste my money on shoes, and food, and stuff.

Hart Johnson said...

Ciara-definitely the most obvious!

Vicki-we have an Aunt Agatha's like that--no reason not to do your mischief there!

Lee-so sad to be stuck in box stores! The do okay on the YA, but definitely don't have much variety.

Alison-she's hysterical--I really enjoy her. Glad to point you there! (And I'd buy books before clothes, too, obviously. I really want a designated library, but first I have to get rid of these blasted childings...)