Monday, July 4, 2011

Blowing Stuff Up

Photos taken by my friend Marjorie
You know, I'm not a girly girl. HWMNBMOTI and I have happily swapped gender roles in several life domains. I've been the primary worker; he's been primary caretaker and cook. I make the bigger decisions (of COURSE he has input, but it is at my suggestion we've done things like moving across the country or buying houses) where he manages ALL the little stuff (heck, I'd forget we had children—I should NOT be trusted with DETAILS).

But there is nothing like the 4th of July to bring out the girl in me and the boy in him. I prefer to sit back with a frozen adult beverage and say 'ooooooh, pretty!' and he wants to blow stuff up.

My IDEAL of the 4th is to go someplace across a lake or bay from the big display, so it isn't as crowded, and WATCH. But he likes to participate. Sadly he likes to pick and choose WHAT and so it is costly (though not as costly as a vacation, so my option is out anyway). This year I put my foot down on finances. He argued that if you spent at least $200 then they start throwing in extras. I responded 'then go in together with the neighbors and pool your bargaining power'. (see what a problem solver I am) We can't afford $200. So he did—talked to the other neighbors who enjoy watching and several pitched in.

Another gorgeous Marjorie photo
It is actually a fun little party. Our FABULOUS neighbor has a pool. There are about 6 families involved, two with small kids--two with medium age (one is actually the son of a neighbor, but as they live in Canada, they always come HERE for the 4th--best way to maximize on holidays), one with in-laws visiting from China. My kids each have friends joining. We are a family with FAMILY across the country, so Thanksgiving and Christmas can be a little bittersweet. This holiday that is more a friends occasion—nice summer barbeque—has become one of our traditions.

But when I watch my son and his friend eager to light the fireworks, and my daughter hanging out watching with me, it is ever-so-clear.

Boys just like to blow stuff up.


I wish you all a truly fabulous Fourth if you are in the U.S. Be Safe!

25 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

LOL, that is so true! My boys liked it more when we bought a big package of fireworks and set them off in the street in front of my house, than when we took them to the fireworks show.

Jessica Bell said...

I hope you have a great day, Hart!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like to blow stuff up in the virtual world, but in the real world, I'm the dude with the water hose ready, just in case. Happy Fourth, Hart!

Talli Roland said...

Hehe! So true. Men, eh? :)

Hope you have a fabulous day.

Mel said...

Erk. I applaud your monetary limit. My hubby frequently spends close to $1200 on his "Little Fixation". Happy 4th!!!

Jan Morrison said...

We've avoided the whole thing - I mean Canada Day not the fourth and blowing things up BUT I agree. They like anything of a destructive nature. I was tearing down a shed once in a home I lived in which was in front of a senior citizens' complex. The men were out helpling me like anything and when I was burning up the refuse from the thing - they were beside themselves. ah. so easy to distract.

CA Heaven said...

I don't.

I stopped blowing up stuff many many years ago. In fact, I haven't used any kind of fireworks after I got old enough to do it legally. New Years Eve is the big fireworks day here. People used to blow up all kinds of stuff in their gardens and in the streets. Since a couple of years ago, all private fireworks are banned. Now the fire brigade in our city arranges common public fireworks, which is both much nicer and safer than this private warfare we used to have.

Enjoy your Constitution Day, with or without adult drinks >:)

Cold As Heaven

lisahgolden said...

Happy Fourth, Hart!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I used to like blowing stuff up, too! When I was younger we had bottle rocket wars. No, not the safest of activities!

Mel Chesley said...

Happy Fourth to you as well! I like to watch as well as occasionally blow stuff up. Remind me some day to tell you about the "near miss". Not exactly a story I can put out there publicly without being dragged out into the streets. But Oh! so funny. XD

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Beautiful pictures. I can never get mine centered.

Here people spend $800-1000 for fireworks. I cringe at what I consider a waste of money, but now the state has banned fireworks except for New Years Eve.

I look forward to watching the display over the Pacific from Magic Island here in Honolulu.

Happy 4th of July.

Golden Eagle said...

Happy 4th of July!

Old Kitty said...

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!

Yay for Naked fireworks display!! I much prefer big organised displays where I can watch and go "ooooh... ahhhhhh"!! LOL!!

Take care
x

M.J. Nicholls said...

We celebrate 4 July here by going about our normal business and doing everything absolutely the same. **envy**

Trisha said...

Hehe, in my experience, boys DO like to blow stuff up - but I've known girls who are real firebugs too ;)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sounds like you have/had a fun day planned. What fun...

This is ONE fun holiday. The weather was picture perfect in Chicago today and I spent the whole day out. Morning on the lakefront biking and powerwalking, and at the zoo for a fantastic picnic at the zoo, which gave me time to read Liz Fischera's new book. A GREAT DAY.

I can't wait to see you at the end of next month Hart!

ViolaNut said...

Hmm. Chick. Enjoy blowing things up. Go figure. ;-)

Laura said...

Hi Hart - hope you had a great weekend. Don't I know it about boys - mine was a proffesional pyrotechnician for 12 years... can you imagine?!
Lxxx

Carol Kilgore said...

Yeah, they do!
Hope you had a Fantastic Fourth.
Gorgeous photos :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Wow...Marjorie is kickass at capturing fireworks on film.

RosieC said...

Ah, well, we live so locked within the city limits that even if the hubs wanted to be blowing up lots of stuff, I don't think it would be legal. Of course, this didn't stop a friend of his bringing over a bunch of explosive s**t one year, and them sitting super drunk on the back deck and setting off some into the 100 yr old trees in our backyard. I happened to come home when when dud landed on our garage roof and started to spark. Oh, I ripped that guy a new one. We rent, so if he burns the roof off the garage, it's our responsibility. If we didn't, and this guy burned a hole in the roof, at least I could make him pay to replace the shingles. Needless to say, we don't associate with Mr. Dud anymore (and I should definitely call him that from now on).

Happy 4th!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Yes! My husband and son were setting stuff off like crazy yesterday. :)

Sounds like you've had a good holiday weekend...hope so!

Cheeseboy said...

Why didn't I think of this pooling together with neighbors?! Brilliant.

We do like blowing crap up.

Helena said...

Oh, how they like to blow things up! And make lots of noise. I like sparkly fireworks, but what's with the ones that only go bang? No thrill at all for me.

Hart Johnson said...

Thanks so much everyone! And I'm sorry I've been so absent! Yesterday was packed and today was work nutso stuff. All the fingers survived the night, so that was good--very fun party, though I was definitely too tired and a little hung over today which isn't great working conditions. Totally with Helena on pretty good, but loud without pretty, not so much...