Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Barely Blog

Harry reading an excerpt
Harry Dolan Book Signing

So instead of writing a blog post last night, I went to a Harry Dolan author reading... which was definitely good for ME, but it leaves me with just a short blog for YOU...

I was reassured that Harry and I have some things in common... for starters... an enjoyment of reading fantasy but brains that don't seem to come up with those ideas... instead we get the twisted murderous thoughts... erm... or something...

Writing linearly, but knowing where the story is going... though his plotting sounds more detailed than mine... The audience asked if mystery could be WRITTEN off the cuff, characters leading the show... I resisted correcting them and telling them the term was PANTSING... Harry didn't think they worked together... I also resisted telling them about Elizabeth... or that my last novel I knew MOSTLY where I was going, but changed my killer three times there at the end...

It's hard to sit in an audience and not chime in on the answers. Is this just me? I think this is a function of graduate school when we were reinforced for this... or maybe it is my own personal narcissism.

Me with Harry and Liz Crowe
Unlike me, Harry writes slowly and begins each day fixing some of the day before. He supports himself with his books. I don't. There is a possibility he is doing something better than me on this front...

Anyway, my boss was there with her mom and a friend... and my buddy Liz was there... we made Harry pose with us... (he was fabulous by the way—I really enjoyed this)


And


I Can Share My Title Now!!!

*Drum roll, please*

My first Gardening theme Cozy Mystery, due out next June if nothing changes, is called...

(wait for it)

THE AZALEA ASSAULT


(the second is currently slated at THE BEGONIA BRIBE and the third will have CC)

I really dig that alliteration thing. It pleases me... and Emily, my editor, said the artists were excited by the idea of Azaleas for the cover because they are such a bright flower. I personally like the contrast of such a happy flower and MURDER!

And that's what I have today...

Happy Tuesday people! Just because it's not Thursday yet, no reason not to be naked.

23 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Assaulted by Azaleas!! Wonderful!!!

I love your title theme!!! Yin and Yang, Beauty and the Beast! Brilliant and oh so NAKED!!!

Awwww yay for Harry!! Take care
x

Unknown said...

Sounds like a winner title to me! ha ha just notices looking at it from where I am posting. Reading the title down---The Ass---sounds very naked to me!

Sarah Ahiers said...

OMG - LOVE the title! Congrats!
Also, i love how we're opposites, because i enjoy a good mystery, but can't think one up to save my life and instead, write fantasy

Ann Summerville said...

Love the title.
Ann

Misha Gerrick said...

Awesome name!

I know exactly what you mean about the chiming. Even when my gran (who also supported herself with writing) speaks.

And in a way it makes sense. She taught me in the beginning, but I spread my wings and flew. My methods and style differs completely from hers.

But neither of us are wrong. We're just different.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome. How exciting!!!! :) Enjoy the journey, my friend!!

Hart Johnson said...

Jenny-I love how you put that! The yin and the yang--nice!

Siv--nice spotting--does indeed sound naked!

Sarah-very interesting. I see fantasy as more pure imagination and mystery as more puzzlemastering...

Ann, thank you!

Misha-so glad I'm not alone there! I mean... they TEACH us to be strong and outspoken, right?

Lynn-thank you!!! I definitely am!

Johanna Garth said...

Love the titles. I'm a gardener and now I'm going to spend all day thinking about the CC Camelia Capers, nope? Okay, that's all I've got for now. Can't wait to see what it is when you do the next unveil (oh, and of course also to read the book)!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I like the title. I shall be reading your book. Hopefully you shall see it in yourself to do a book signing in Salt Lake City. I would love the chance to meet you :)

Anonymous said...

I love the title. It is a wonderful contrast.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Love the title.
Can't wait for the book.
Congratulations, again.

lisahgolden said...

Congratulations to Harry on his book!

I love those cozy titles. I can't wait to see them on the shelves at my library and bookstore.

Unknown said...

Really cool titles! I love it. And that looked like a fun reading.

Krista McLaughlin said...

I love the title, congrats!

I find myself not correcting people when talking to another author. Some times I do want to give them the correct term and explain processes, but I don't want to come off as a complete nerd. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Hart!!!!

Jan Morrison said...

Tartlette - fun name! OK, now about those pesky C's. How about calla-lily conundrum? Or carnation cull? Or Cruel Chrysanthemum...? Or however you spell that.
My second Kitty MacDonald book has a murder in a garden. The title is Earth Bound. ha.
Jan Morrison

Hart Johnson said...

Johanna-Camelias is good, though that is actually Cam's name... I am thinking Carnation Conspiracy... or something--I know the basic plot.

Michael-thank you! My advance isn't really adequate for real travel, but I will shout if I get there!

Thank you, Medeia! And thank you, Mary!

Lisa-Cozies really do have some great titles, eh?

Clarissa-it was fun--Harry has a nice sense of humor, and it was great to hear his process.

Krista-I don't mind the nerd thing, but I try to curb my MEEEEE thing.

Thank you, Alex!

Jan-Chrystanthemum I think is the right time of year actually. It's SUCH a mouthful! And Earth Bound is great! It fits the tone of your books, too.

CA Heaven said...

Seams like you found a good alternative to writing a blogpost.

I've been to an author reading only once, in the students society, when I was a student. It was fun.

It's been really hot here today (for our scale), more than 20 degrees (70 Fahrenheit); maybe that's a good reason to get naked >:)

Cold As Heaven

Helena said...

Never did trust those aggressive, aggravating azaleas.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love your title! Very enticing!

So cool that you got to go see Harry Dolan read. I haven't read his second book yet, but I really enjoyed his first (and he and I happen to have the same agent). And I agree with you, I am fascinated with other writers' processes. It's so interesting how we can all take different paths to achieve the same goal.

PK HREZO said...

lol! Alliteration pleases you. So cute.

Cool titles! Sounds like a fun story to curl up with!

Jenny Milchman said...

*Love* the title!! Love the series!

RaShelle Workman said...

Hart - Love your cozy titles.