Monday, July 18, 2011

Down Time

I was almost completely offline for three days...

You would have had to be asleep or absent to not know the last half of last week was spent in a Harry Potter frenzy... Thursday night was the midnight movie attendance... and then... a bit of a...

Source
I don't want to call it a funk. It was happier than a funk, but it was extremely anti-social. I think I spent five hours just READING on Friday (rereading Deathly Hallows)... sitting and reading... I think the last time I did that was when Deathly Hallows first came out. I just... have too much to do, normally. But it was WONDERFUL. Hubby was working... kids slept three hours longer than I did... just quiet house, me and a book.

It's funny how you can crave something and not know what it is. I needed some downtime.

I turned on my computer to check email, but think I spent half hour tops...

My neighbor came over in the evening and invited me to sit poolside and share my excitement about the movie... That was nice too... quiet company and a cocktail...


And then Saturday I decided it MUST be done.


See, there is a downside to writing longhand... it is how I must write at least a part of my stuff... my brain flows through my fingers and a medium point pen onto lined paper... I can't DO emotion, tension... the good stuff... on a screen... but it all has to be TYPED.

[note: just recognized a use for voice recognition software. I've known I couldn't WRITE that way--the brain not flowing out the MOUTH even remotely, but bloody hell if I couldn't TYPE that way... reading what I wrote...]

So Saturday and Sunday I typed about 8000 words... previously written mostly, but I am not the world's speediest typist, and I DO do some editing and fact checking.

So Second Garden Cozy is TYPED and hopefully by the time you read this, my hard copy edit is done with the exception of a few scenes I have noted that need writing--my goal is Saturday for entering what I have and writing what is missing.


Can I tell you a secret? This is a big deal, but it's real hush hush... stop reading now if you're a blabbermouth.

Last Monday my editor emailed me requesting my synopsis for the first Garden Cozy... because TUESDAY THE ART DEPARTMENT MET TO DISCUSS MY COVER!!! SQUEEEEEE!

And I was told my title... but that I really can't share yet, but it wasn't just THIS title, but the next, plus the theme... I'm so excited and I so wish I could share... You totally will be the first to know!  (erm, other than the Burrow, but you know... they are practically ME they're so close... in fact it's possible they know already....)


NOTE: If you are in southeast Michigan, tonight is your chance to catch a Harry Dolan reading!!! It is at 7pm, Nicola Books in Westgate Mall—the last surviving Independent Bookstore in Ann Arbor, and proud guardian of this Fairy Door (there are two book fairy doors—the other is in the library). I'm very excited to meet Harry in person and get my book signed, and I'd love it if any of the rest of you are showing up! Give a shout if you are—I'd love to meet some other local authors face to face--Liz, I am counting on you, sister!
And here is proof someone lives there.
(inside the fairy doors, I mean... I have some blogs about fairy doors. If you are curious, look under the Ann Arbor tag... we are collectively odd... which I love)

23 comments:

Crystal Pistol said...

Congratulations, my friend! You work so hard at this writing business. You deserve all the success in the world.

I'm glad you got some downtime. We all need that now and again. :)

Christine Murray said...

Down time is good, glad that you got some time to relax.

Can't wait to hear about your titles! :)

Old Kitty said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Yay for your book cover!! Wow!!! How exciting!!!

Fairy Doors Rule!!

I think you had a most thoroughly and utterly NAKED weekend!!!! Yay for you!! Enjoy Mr Dolan!! Ahem!! Take care
x

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Congrats on all your news. All that and HP, no wonder you needed down time.

Hart Johnson said...

Crystal-we definitely do! Thank you!

Christine-As soon as I get the okay!

Jenny-I LOVE the fairy doors! (the art fairies have a bunch of candy offerings... probably because art fair starts this week)

Mary-Yeah-it was a lot... Man, it was nice to take a little break and just focus!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

So glad you got some downtime! And congratulations on getting all that typing behind you, too!

Sarah Ahiers said...

i'm super excited to hear your title/theme when the time comes.
And i, too, was in a bit of a funk after watching HP. I was sadder than i thought i would be

Creepy Query Girl said...

So exciting about your title and art cover! Congrats! And I can't believe you write things out longhand! My hands get cramped just writing out a check. It's pathetic. lol. I've got some surprise down time this week and can't wait to soak it in;)

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth--man, it ALWAYS takes a lot longer than I think. I think about you switching modes and don't wonder at ALL why.

Sarah--yeah, I don't think I was exactly sad but I was really reflective and didn't want company...

Katie-yeah... the longhand thing is a long habit... I've been writing since before the home computer... Glad you have some downtime!

Jan Morrison said...

I loved that you took time away. And yes, I did notice. I figured it was a Potter-Related Thingy (a PRT)
love,
Jan Morrison

Carol Kilgore said...

Downtime is essential. If we don't take it consciously, it still happens and we don't realize it until afterward.

We're opposites...I create and emotionalize onscreen and edit with pencil or red pen.

Krista McLaughlin said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for you!

And I hope that you enjoyed the movie. I loved it! :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Everyone needs some downtime to get that mojo flowing again.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all your book and writing news! Woo hoo!

I have considered taking some down time today, but here I am on the computer. Maybe later. Maybe I'll read with lunch. Hmm...

-Vicki

VR Barkowski said...

I am so excited for you! I may just stand here tapping my foot until you're allowed to tell everything. They don't call me the 'want to know it all, want to know it now chick' for nothing. I earned the title.

Like you, my brain flows to my fingers. If I write at the keyboard, all the emotion has to be added afterward when I revise (which, not coincidentally, I do with paper and pen).

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great news about your books, Hart!

Hart Johnson said...

Jan--definitely Potter related--some savoring involved... read half of Deathly Hallows on Friday. It was so nice.

Carol-too funny. Now I ALSO edit hard copy... me and the screen are sciency, not writingy...

Krista-glad you liked it! yes, I really did, too, though better the second time.

Michael-definitely helped the mojo!

Vicki-definitely take it! And thank you!

VR-exactly! In a WriMo I do a combo and some scenes I make a note to do later so I make sure they get maximum emotional impact. And THANK YOU!

Thank you, Alex!

erica and christy said...

I was offline most of the weekend, too - for a camping weekend with about 50 relatives - very fun and HOT!! Congrats on the 2nd book and hope your cover is everything you want it to be!
erica

Johanna Garth said...

OOOH! That's exciting! Glad you had a little downtime. Summer should have some of those moments built in, even though it feels crazier than crazy most of the time!

lisahgolden said...

Such good stuff all the way through. From some much needed downtime all the way through to your books. Congratulations!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I write like you do Hart - all longhand and then I enter it all later. Good news about your cover.

Cheeseboy said...

I was just reading Mr. Cavanaugh's review on this movie and it sounds like one I need to see.

Powdered Toast Man said...

Congrats. Who is this Harry Potter you speak of?..lol