Friday, July 1, 2011

BuNoWriMo 2: Status: DONE

No reason. They just amuse me.
So FIRST, I need to apologize for how little I've gotten around to blogs this week. We are between Admins, so in some ways I'm doing two jobs, and in others, I'm catching up with stuff I should have had my butt in gear and done earlier. I am running up against deadlines and just am having to solidly WORK at work...

Then at HOME I am trying to get the rest of my Cozy typed (along with blogging). The former though, is on a schedule, so I don't have much browsing time...

And TODAY, I am at Burrowers, Books and Balderdash sharing a little (read: a fair bit) about my day job. (goes up at noon GMT)


Okay... Now to the Topic


The Second Annual BuNoWriMo is done

It officially wound up at midnight. There was the disappointment this year in how Facebook changed its group function—there are no longer discussion pages, which we will need to resolve... if not for BuNoWriMo, then definitely for ABNA. I didn't like having to scroll pages to look for topics... oh, sure FB notifies you if someone replies on something you commented on, but WHO IS NOT TIRED OF THAT!? For Pete's sake Mark Zuckerman, enough already.. The OLD group system was superior... I will check on my OWN darned group if I feel compelled. Do not TELL me every time somebody says something.

*cough* But that is Facebooks fault.


As for the people participating in BuNoWriMo, THEY were rock stars! The support level was incredibly high, whether people were doing their own thing or following traditional paths--answering questions... succeeding, failing... There were 121 of us signed up by the end (though I know some half dozen of us who are there twice, and another two dozen who are there to support, but didn't plan to write.

I know a BUNCH of people who 'won' traditionally, and a bunch more who wrote a lot more of than they might otherwise. I think the biggest successes are people trying to establish a writing habit that managed to write most days... going from writing irregularly to writing almost daily is a habit we need to make if we want long-term success—and by that I don't necessarily mean PUBLISHING success, though that is tied in. But I think our brains, imaginations, and all that habituate through daily use... we get stronger, faster, more efficient. I know after a break to edit, I have to work for a bit to get back into writing... think how much HARDER that would be if I'd been away from the craft entirely.  Writing when inspired... probably not going to get us there... But if we write daily, soon we at least end up inspired regularly.  Stephen King may be freaky, but he is very wise in his quote:  if you show up daily, eventually your muse will too. (or something like that)

So THANK YOU everyone who participated or supported this process! Have a great weekend!!!

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations! You've accomplished a ton this month! Good luck with everything going on at work. Hope you'll at least have a long weekend?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats that you hit your target! I'm not crazy about the new groups on Facebook either. I'd set up a group for my series (rather than a fan page - oh well) and I've not switched it over - and when they do the switch, all of the members will be gone and have to rejoin. I might just let it go since my series is done. For now.

Old Kitty said...

Boooo to new facebook changes! :-(

Yayyayayyay for the success of BuNoWriMo!!!!! Huge congrats to all of you!! You are all NAKED stars!!! take care
x

Sarah Ahiers said...

well i didn't hit the 50K, but i did hit 40K. I'm hoping to have the whole first draft done by the end of July and i think that's doable.
Yay for BuNo!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Hart! I was busy revising this month and hit my target early, so that's just as good.

Connie J Jasperson said...

Wow Hart! I do NaNoWriMo and think that I am a rockstar for that, but look at you! That is amazing!

Ebenezer Adokwei said...

Congrats my friend..Good works surely pays off and worth the tussle.
Hope u good.I just dropped another bomb of a poem on my blog so come check it out, comment and share with friends.Good day.

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth, I DO get a long weekend, so that's good. And it might be hot enough to hide in my basement...

Diane-you can email your group and ask them to join the page--I've seen a lot of people do that... you just need to start the page before the group goes.

Jenny-I LOVE a naked celebration!

Sarah-I t hink 40K is great! And to keep up the spirit for 2 months, probably a better pace.

Congrats on hitting your goal, Alex!!!

Connie-NaNo is great--That is why we started BuNo--there are people who can't DO November, and then nuts like me ho want to do it twice... teehee

Ebenezer-thank you! I will check it out!

Unknown said...

A bit sad that it is over but I continue to write every day and I made the goal with just over 50000 words, which is alot for me. Have a wonderful week-end and stay safe.

Alison DeLuca said...

Wow - I am impressed, and inspired! Plus, I like the llamas. (or are they alpacas?)

Krista McLaughlin said...

Congratulations on finishing! I'm about to start Camp NaNoWriMo, for the month of July. I hope I can finish too. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never understood Facebook. Congratulations on BuNoWriMo! :)

Cheeseboy said...

Sounds like a really cool, worthwhile project. And FB always screws everything up.

Love the spitting llamas.

Trisha said...

BuNoWriMo was really fun! Thanks to you and the other hosts for providing that forum :) I had a great time interacting with other writers on Facebook, despite the lack of easily trackable discussions.