Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Plotting Sideways


So for BuNoWriMo this year, I am trying something I've SORT of done, but not really. I've dappled in the idea of it for mysteries, because it seems to make sense, but this is the first time I am coming at it for a suspense (which admittedly has mystery underneath it, of course, but it is more a 'what the heck happened' than a 'whodunnit'... though who dunnit matters quite a lot, but the finding the what and the who will happen simultaneously). All they KNOW is the AFTERMATH.

So what is this crazy idea of mine? I timeline more than outline normally—you know that, yes? This is because outlining makes my writing sound canned (but pantsing writes me into a sad corner of abandoning my book). I need more room to meander than an outline, though. But see... with a mystery, there is an underlying story that needs uncovering.

So I am outlining THAT. What really happened before the book ever starts? Who is involved and how do they execute it. I've done a lot of this (for this book--not much prior to this), but NEXT, I am going to go through and figure out how my MC learns of it.  Use another color of pen and write in how somebody SHE gets involved with learns it.  Then I can sprinkle info by manipulating when she meets people, rather than having them hold back anything (that often irritates me--seems contrived). I really think I am getting there.


So WHY would this be so urgent? BuNoWriMo starts FRIDAY!!!!

If ANY of the Following Apply to you, PLEASE consider joining us for BuNoWriMo:

۞ You want to write a book in June.
۞ You want to FINISH writing a book in June (ideally that has at least 50K left, but you can finish one and start another if you prefer. (have I made it clear I'm easy?)
۞ You want to do a major rewrite in June
۞ You want support for some OTHER large writing project and would like to declare your commitment and do it as part of a group.

Joining is EASY PEASY if you have a facebook account: Go HERE and request to join. I let anybody in... I just can't find the button anymore to make it an open group, but besides that, I like the convos to be between members, even if ANYBODY can be a member.

If you need more information before making a decision, you can see HERE.


16 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Good luck with your most NAKED outlining!! Yay too for your shiny new lovely scrummy idea! Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hart, I'm going to be doing BuMo so I can complete a large portion of my next book, but I'm not on Facebook - what do I need to do to sign up?

Laura said...

Soooo excited!!! All I've got to do is find my desk under the pile of rubbish, do a bit more outlining - though I much prefer your take on timelining as I need a chance to meander to keep me interested... and, well, do some customary panicking :)

Hart Johnson said...

Jenny *hugs* You always cheer me, you know that?

Alex--sent you an email! I'm so glad you want to do this and hope we can figure it out!

Laura-can we panic NOW?! teehee I'm so excited you're excited!!!

Talli Roland said...

Good luck with the outlining! Go Hart go! (Lamest comment ever, but it's TOO HOT!)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A timeline is a great idea. I had to do one for my five book series. With ten main characters, I needed to be sure I was keeping all of the storylines and main events in order. A lot of the timeline never ended up in my books, but I always knew what the characters were doing when they were off screen.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

This just might be perfect for me. I'm finishing the outlines of two new projects. Hmm.... Accountability partners?? I should probably check this out.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Sounds like a cool exercise.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

Sarah Allen said...

I think this is a great idea, I may have to try it. Best of luck!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Hart Johnson said...

Talli--pretty hot here, too, but I work in an air conditioned building, so I'm okay at the mo. I would think there is some fun stuff in London when it's hot.

Diane-yeah, anything with THAT MUCH going on would definitely need one! I've seen some of JK Rowlings--they're awesome.

SA-YAY! I hope you join us!!! Definitely all for accountability!

Maurice-thank you! It's been fun... now to see if it works!

Hart Johnson said...

Sarah- erm... blogger will not be responsible for results... *shifty* Seriously, though--I hope it works for both of us!

Jan Morrison said...

oh oh...now I think I need to do something like this but it would be hard because I haven't the utter faintest of what I'm writing about. NO! I'll keep to my plan - 25 thou on a book that I only know the title of - and finish the RW revision. yes. I'm so hyped!

Carol Kilgore said...

This is almost like what I've done for my current WIP. So far it's working great. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm ... tempting. I'll think hard about this as I really need to rock and roll on my MS.

Tina said...

I tried this last year. Crashed and burned. It's not the year for me either this year, though I am taking on a SCHEDULE at Life is Good. And I'm still co-hosting at the A-Z Blog, and the behind the scenes stuff actually takes so much more time than I think it's going to. I think those two committments will be enough for me this year, but I stayed on board and did encouragement and congrats last year, so can I sign up as official cheer-leader or something like that? I really enjoyed the conversations last year.

Tina @ Life is Good

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun month. Not sure I can join but I'm still thinking about it.