Monday, May 7, 2012

Crazy Cozy Blogfest

Four weeks from tomorrow!!!

[Blogging A to Z Reflections coming Wednesday because I can't seem to keep track of what I'm supposed to do when]

So some of you may have seen this. I posted it last month for C day, but the fact of the matter is this. When we are blogging A to Z, we don't always go the places we normally go, so I figure MANY of you may have missed this. And now that it is less than a month away, I am here to BEG YOU to participate and help spread the word...

The rest of this particular blog is a reshare from earlier--so if you DID see that one, my apologies... but I figure it is all the same info, and I am running behind, so I thought I'd borrow...

Hurry! Tell all your friends!

Special thanks to my buddy Joris Ammerlaan for our buttons
Wait. It's possible I should tell YOU first.

See... I have my first ever book release June 5th of this year. And on the SAME day, my friend and mentor, Elizabeth Spann Craig is releasing the first in a new series of hers... Both Cozy Mysteries... both tons of fun! So we thought we'd share the fun with you.


First: What the Heck IS a Cozy Mystery?

Cozy Mysteries are like Mystery-Lite—there is still a dead body (or two), still a mystery to solve, and still lots of twists and turns. But they are low on gore (murder happens off the page), low on violence (happens off the page), low on sex (though not necessarily anti-innuendo or ogling—again, just not on the page) -- the whole thing is kept very PG-- and because the sleuth is an amateur, they are also low on technical forensic or police procedural language, making them very approachable. (and far easier for a non-cop to write)

But in ADDITION, they also tend to have a lot of humor, some quirky characters, a recurring cast, and frequently there is a THEME (Elizabeth's is quilting, mine is gardening).

Now of COURSE we want to promote our new books, but because cozies are so fun, we thought we'd SHARE the fun!


Crazy Cozy Blogfest

The idea is to think of the craziest, zaniest set-up for a cozy mystery you can—this is strictly for entertainment value—we don't plan to take these ideas and actually write series (though if you think YOU want to, go for it!). But we are asking you to come up with a wacky theme, a zany sleuth, a crazy setting for your OWN Crazy Cozy Mystery idea.

Include:
1)  Sleuth (age, occupation, maybe a little family info)
2)  Sidekick (either friend or foil, but someone who always seems to be around)
3)  Setting (town, city, or other sort of place)
4)  Theme (go nuts)
5)  Twist (be as creative as you like)

Write it up in 150-250 words (so short)--for the blogfest portion anyway—we want people to be able to read a bunch of these without too much burden. Keep the traditions in mind, but we are judging on entertainment value--which we enjoy most, not how realistic it is to make a best seller. We want people to laugh.  WE want to laugh. (so consider those rules more like guidelines, really)


And then please include either our book brief descriptions, a brief word of promo, or a link for people to FIND more if they want to (all related info below).

Prizes: (yes, I said prizes! erm...not extravagant, but we wanted to give you something) Each Elizabeth and I will choose our favorite and BOTH winners will get BOTH books (signed).

We'd love help promoting the blogfest, as well. Feel free to take the button and banner and/or share the Linky Tool below. And I'm sure you will be hearing more about this over the next two months.


Quilt or Innocence
Beatrice has a lot of gossip to catch up on—especially with the Patchwork Cottage quilt shop about to close. It seems that Judith, the landlord everyone loves to hate, wants to raise the rent, despite being a quilter herself… But when Judith is found dead, the harmless gossip becomes an intricate patchwork of mischievous motives. And it’s up to Beatrice’s expert eye to decipher the pattern and catch the killer, before her life gets sewn up for good.

Elizabeth Spann Craig: Elizabeth writes the Memphis Barbeque series for Penguin/Berkley (as Riley Adams), the Southern Quilting mysteries (2012) for Penguin/NAL, and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink. She blogs daily at Mystery Writing is Murder, which was named by Writer's Digest as one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers for 2010 and 2011.

As the mother of two, Elizabeth writes on the run as she juggles duties as Girl Scout leader, referees play dates, drives carpools, and is dragged along as a hostage/chaperone on field trips.

Links:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Indie Bound
Mystery Writing is Murder

The Azalea Assault
Cam Harris loves her job as public relations manager for the Roanoke Garden Society. It allows her to combine her three loves, spinning the press, showing off her favorite town, and promoting her favorite activity. She's just achieved a huge coup by enlisting Garden Delights, the country's premiere gardening magazine, to feature the exquisite garden of RGS founder, Neil Patrick. She's even managed to enlist world-famous photographer Jean-Jacques Georges. Unfortunately, Jean-Jacques is a first-rate cad—insulting the RGS members and gardening, goosing every woman in the room, and drinking like a lush. It is hardly a surprise when he turns up dead. But when Cam's brother-in-law is accused and her sister begs her to solve the crime, that is when things really get prickly.

Alyse Carlson: Alyse Carlson is the pen name for Hart Johnson who writes books from her bathtub. By day she is an academic researcher at a large midwestern university. She lives with her husband, two teenage children and two fur balls. The dust bunnies don't count. This will be her first published book.


Links:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Indie Bound
Confessions of a Watery Tart

11 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh lovely Tart! Four weeks to your most NAKED of book launches! Hoorah!!! Happy happy dance!! Take care
x

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Can't believe it's a month away! Looking forward to it, Hart! And I can't wait to read all the mock cozies. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You two are going to have so much fun with that blogfest!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I'm nervous about writing this, but I've been on board for awhile.

Yay for you and Elizabeth.

T

Megan Bostic said...

Happy for you, and what a great idea! Brainstorming now!!!

LTM said...

Yay!!! I can't wait for June 5, and I'd love to hop on! Maybe I'll bump my blog post to Tuesday that week. Azalea Assault is too much fun! :o) <3

Johanna Garth said...

Go Hart!! Can't wait to read my first cozy mystery! I know, it's pathetic that I haven't read any before but you are inspiring me!!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh both both books sound fun. I'm not a big cozy mystery person, although Mason Canyon has been working on that a lot the last year, lol! I did like Murder She wrote, does that count?

writing a piece? hmm, I'll have to think about that. But it does sound like fun.

Congrats to both of you!

~Sia McKye Over Coffee~

Alison DeLuca said...

Congratulations! Both books look gorgeous.

Helena said...

Okay, so I THINK I filled out the link form correctly, but for title link I put Crazy Cozy Blog. Am I right?

Anonymous said...

I'm in. I already came up with a few ideas. :)