Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Are you READY!?


Ready for WHAT, you say?

Why BuNoWriMo, of course! But you don't have to be QUITE ready just yet. You have ONE MONTH to tie up loose ends and prepare!

What the heck is BuNoWriMo, you say? (Like how I'm just putting words in your mouth here? Call me a control freak... or just a freak, I'm easy...)


BuNoWriMo stands for Burrow Novel Writing Month.

Most of you will recognize the 'novel writing month' bit from NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month, which happens every November. But clear back in 2009, my writing group, at my prodding, decided to participate... we had two members who finished first books that month, so it was a grand success on that front, but we had a graduate student and three teachers among us, plus the student and one teacher were additionally working RETAIL in bookstores, and we reached the easy consensus that November, as months go, is sort of bad TIMING for people with anything to do with either education or retail. Why not do this in the SUMMER?

Because of the tag 50,000 words in 30 days, we chose JUNE—yeah, school is still going for the first half for a lot of people... but it also isn't yet into the solid 'flee for vacation' part of the summer. People are motivated.


So we decided to host a WriMo for ANYONE who wanted to join us. My post on the matter was my first experience with a post going viral... well not viral viral, but at the time I was getting about 200 hits a day with my newish blog... that one got close to 700 and was my top post for a LONG time... the Key? Deb Ohi (who is FAR more famous than ME—she is a writer and brilliant cartoonist) saw and retweeted me to her bizillion followers.

So our newbie, novice writing group (well, we'd been together 3 years, but we were VERY new at the social media thing) managed to collect 108 people to participate! Last year it jumped another 20. We hope to have even more this year. So... if you are so inclined, and we hope you are... if you'd like to participate, Here is how:

WHAT: 50,000 words in the 30 days of June. (that is 1,667 words a day—about 7 pages)
WHERE: We coordinate from Facebook--a group. I THINK it's open, but if not, request to join, I get the request and approve all comers. BuNoWriMo
WHEN: Erm... June...
HOW: Just add yourself! I will be talking about it HERE about once a week, and giving info THERE about as often--not enough to feel spammed, though once it starts, there is discussion, but that is sort of the POINT, yeah?

And tomorrow I will give you a sneak peak as to the novel I plan to write (and the gorgeous cover I fear I could NEVER live up to)

And for anyone curious about the Burrow, we are four score blondes and brunettes between ages 16 and 19 ½... We blog here, and do a couple projects a year here.

[All BuNoWriMo graphics designed by Joris Ammerlaan]--and there is a bunch... once you join the group, so you can choose something you identify with.


22 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Having True out to the world and starting this month on the revision for The Rock Walker has me thinking I just might do it this year! We'll see but it is tempting me in a way that it hasn't the past couple of. Would it be cheating to actually finish the one I started about three years ago?

Karen Baldwin said...

Phew! You're right, can't quite think of another writing challenge coming out of A - Z. Hmm? But then, maybe I will think about it.

Jessica Bell said...

I've never done this, or the November one. And guess what? I am SO in this year :o) hehe. I'm totally up for the challenge. TOTALLY! :o)

Hart Johnson said...

YAY! Jan and Jessica!! I'm so excited to have you two virgins on board this year!!! erm... Seriously, though!

And Em--we will wear you down... it is what we do BUWAHAHAHAHAHA! teehee

Unknown said...

I'd love to join the fun, but I'll have family in town from France for half the month of June. One of those weeks, we'll be in Florida in a beach house. Bummer!!!! But I'll be cheering you ladies on from the sidelines :))))

Tina said...

I joined last year, but never really got going. Life got in the way..but I'm considering joining this year and actually DOING IT. My book will NOT write itself, and believe me, I've tried all kinds of bribes, but NO. It just sits there. Taunting. But I get over it and go do some laundry or deep clean the kitchen. Worthwhile tasks, yet they do not put words on the page. I enjoyed hanging out with you last year though - thanks for letting me come to the party, by the way!
Tina @ Life is Good

Hissy_Fitts said...

Not sure I'mm up for this, but I need to step out of my safety zone. So, here goes.

Laura said...

I'm in for the second year running. Last year was the best writing experience I have had to-date. So going to have to plot a bit more than last year though!!!

Looking forward to it!
Lxxx

M. Carlson Davis said...

For once June will not be crazy for me. Count me in. --Marjorie

Hart Johnson said...

Nicole-understandable! Guests and traveling really DO throw a wrench in things. So we appreciate the support!

Tina-*snort* Bribing hasn't occurred to me. I guess it's good to find out second hand that it doesn't work! Glad you're in!

Cherylyn-EXCELLENT! We're thrilled to have you! Talk that daughter of yours into it, too!

Laura-that is SO COOL that you found it such a great experience! I'm really excited about that!

Marjorie-WONDERFUL! Welcome!!!

M.J. Fifield said...

I work in retail (sadly) and you're so right about November being a terrible time for NaNoWriMo in that case.

BuNoWriMo sounds cool. If I get this month's goals taken care of, I'll totally have to jump on board.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Nope. Not participating in this.

Hart Johnson said...

MJ-Excellent! I hope you can!

Oh, come on, Michael, where is your sense of Lemming!?

Cherie Reich said...

Have fun with BuNoWriMo! I considered writing a novel in June, but I have so much I need to work on, so I'm holding off until November again. Maybe next year.

LynnRush said...

Wow. That's a great idea. I can't participate but I'll be rooting you on for sure!!!!

Unknown said...

Not sure if I will be doing this again this year. My son is visiting from Denver for the first time in July so I am pretty busy trying to get these renovations, for this never ending house project, as much done as possible...Sigh...

Jen said...

Love this! I just joined the Facebook group. Looking forward to writing and meeting some like-minded folk.

Katie said...

Like I said at the ABNA forums, I'm trying to finish a novel rewrite (a from scratch rewrite) by June. but I'll be curious to see how this goes. I should add the feed of your blog to my list so I can follow you over here too.

-Katie/Ari

Hart Johnson said...

Glad for the support of those who can't and YAY for a couple more who CAN!!!

D..J. Kirkby said...

I am clearly nowhere busy enough ye so I am off to find your Facebook group!

Melissa Sugar said...

Why not? Count me in. I am sort of in a self induced holding pattern on final revisions for my current novel and I can't think of a better way to jumpstart a new novel and let the other rest for a while. I am glad I heard about this. I seem to do much better with every project if I have a deadline. I also do better when I have people I know who are facing the same challenge. I am getting more and more excited about it as I type this. Off to find the fb group now,

MichelleDEvans.blogspot.com said...

Oh fun!
But I'm still fixing up my last 3 NaNos ... Not ready to start anything fresh and probably won't be til November
Happy writing everyone
Xx