Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Going and Coming

[Drat, forgot to schedule... this is Wednesday's post]


ABNA BeDone

It is not shocking surprising or unexpected that I didn't make the finalist list for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. After all, had I MADE it, they would have contacted me last week: I now see why... All the finalists have lovely pictures of themselves posted... not a single person chose to display him or herself as a llama. Contracts are probably formally signed... flight and hotel reservations made (cheaper 30 days out, after all),

The books all look pretty good. Here, see for yourselves. I was a little shocked at the YA entries as TWO of them involve MCs who can talk to the dead, and that is a primary plotline for my planned BuNo project (BuNoWriMo explainer below). Funny how some themes make it into the collective conscious. I am confident mine is different enough, but it was jarring when I saw the first, and BAFFLING when I saw the second... I was thinking, HOLY COW, how does this HAPPEN?! That said, they both look like GREAT reads (very different tones from mine—far lighter, I think—you KNOW how dark and mysterious I am *shifty*) (do you think if I say that often enough, people will start to believe me?) The third YA looks great, too—I'm not sure if it classifies as sci-fi or dystopia, but the premise is unique and appealing. I'd totally read ANY of these books.

The adult ones look pretty good too. I haven't read ANY of the excerpts yet, but plan to... you should, too... There is now VOTING involved, and to vote fairly, you really need to read all of them in a category, wouldn't you say? I am not saying I've never voted for my friend when I knew someone pitted against multiple others, but I generally at least get a FEEL, and if I have time, I read them all (I confess I probably end up biased anyway, but there you have it). Anyway, I don't know ANY of these folks. They are not board regulars, unless they use other names. They certainly aren't Mansers (my home thread there), as I was the 'only horse left in the race' who was regular there.

I guess the BIG point though, is that ALL these books are publishable... ALL of these people have made a FABULOUS accomplishment. I wish them the VERY best.

Many people knocked out are ALSO publishable... but maybe in an iteration or two down the road... So congrats to us, too...


As for that next book...

BuNoWriMo is Coming, 
BuNoWriMo is Coming!

One week, my friends, until the Burrow's version of NaNoWriMo... 50,000 words in 30 days... that is 1667 per day for you math geeks. *looks in mirror* And we Burrowers aren't too picky... if you want to keep going on something ELSE... okay... if you want to write 50K worth of short stories, have atter. If you want to set some alternative goal... start or end on a different day... We are EASY PEASY (or I am, anyway, but you knew that). This is about writing as a group, grabbing some of the contagious enthusiasm, encouraging each other, and giving in to the SPEED. Permission to write crap... just WRITE. It will all have to be changed in the rewrite ANYWAY... best just get the story out!

I know not everyone likes to or wants to write fast, but I find a great many of us, if we give in to it, and address the clean up in the rewrite, do really well with it. Personally, I have a cleaner story as there is no time for tangents (my most pernicious temptation). So we would LOVE it if you would join us!

As for me... I have about 7,000 words to write to wind up my first draft on my 2nd Cozy between now and then... I will be about 10K short of 'done' but it is better filled in on the rewrite anyway (like I've been saying). I've got a bunch of spots already that say 'a scene that does this'... I can make it, but I am cutting it close...

If you want to join us for BuNoWriMo, we are on Facebook, here. The group is open!

And Happy Hing Day!!!

26 comments:

Southpaw said...

You did amazingly well in the contest. Kudos to you!

I'm trying to tidy up my rewrite so I can be ready to start on June 1st.

Beverly Diehl said...

Congrats on getting as far as you did, though I'm sure it's got to sting a little bit, too, not being among the finalists and trying to be happy and gracious for them.

Keep in mind, that while many best-selling authors have won contests here, there and everywhere, others have been the overlooked dark horse. I'm putting my money on YOU.

Trisha said...

I'm feeling ever so SLIGHTLY out of control at the idea of BuNoWriMo, however I am also excited about it! :D Can't wait. The trick will just be deciding which story to write. :P

Like the others said - you did really well to get so far, and it's a great sign if I do say so! :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I am pushing to join you. June is my birthday month and so why not celebrate by giving myself the gift of writing like a mad woman?

Well done to you for entering the Amazon contest. I'm going to click on the link you gave and see if I know any of the winners!

Stacy Gail said...

Woo, you ROCK, Your Tartness! You did an amazing job to go so far, and I'm so proud of you I could bust (but I won't, because that would be messy).

BuNoWriMO!!!!! Erm, I'm having, shall we say, ISSUES, with my current project, but I'm going to push like mad to get it done by June 1st (which will make my editor happy :P). I might wind up being a rebel this year, but I'll wear that badge with pride!

Smoochies,
Ze Penguino

LTM said...

((BIG hugs)) I know your writing is fantastic, and isn't your agent looking at the MS now? something will happen. xoxo

P.S.
Prolly going to have to go on hiatus for June. Whole lotta moving going on. :p

mooderino said...

I would have voted for the llama. Good luck with the next one.
regards
mood

">Chapter One Analysis: Fight Club

Arlee Bird said...

At least you were in it. You are a winner in our eyes and hearts.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Old Kitty said...

Gorgeous and ever so NAKED naked Tart! Your llama dazzled the world and will go on to greater shinier things!!! Llamas ALWAYS win in the end!! Yay for you!!!! You made it and are gonna make it -you just wait!!! Hoorah!! Good luck with the BuNaNoMonaLisa - hang on let me get that right! - BuNoWriMo!!! Yay!!

Take care
x

Unknown said...

You have such a contagious optimism. There are always awards out there, I am sure you will get your share and one day so will I. Does it really matter anyways? We are doing what we love and that is reward enough for me. I have joined the crazy write off and made myself a get naked suit, now I am going to just write and if I don't make the 30,000 words, oh well at least I tried, it was 30.000 wasn't it?

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Oh, they don't know what they're missing at ABNA! You did a great job with the contest.

Good luck with BuNoWriMo...I think I'll try to keep up with y'all. I have something new to write (well, it's an outline, though. Maybe I can make it work that I write the outline and start work on something else.)

Hart Johnson said...

Holly-I really hope you can join us!

Beverly-thank you! I've seen a few of these stories that get cut earlier but then get polished, and some of them do very well, so I will keep trying!

Trisha-YAY! That out of control thing is part of the rush! Fabulous!

Karen-PERFECT Birthday celebration! I'm a June baby, too!

Stacy-thank you! And you will look LOVERLY in your rebel boots! Though if they have high heels, you may want to just stand instead of walking...

Leigh, you are forgiven... moving does INDEED make things like this pretty impossible...

Moody-YAY for Llama votes!

Lee-Oh, thank you!!!

Jenny-*snort* Oh, making faces at ART! Now THERE is an idea!!!

Siv-YAY! Glad you're joining us!!! And the naked suit will help--far easier to write fast with those inhibitions relegated to the corner.

Elizabeth-however you want to do it! We'd love to have you join in!

CA Heaven said...

BuNoWriMo might be the push I need to get my damn novel finished >:)

Cold As Heaven

Creepy Query Girl said...

Getting as far as you did is a mad accomplishment and I'm sure you're book is just as publishable as theirs. IT looks like you have a great attitude and jumping into Burrow NANOWriMO sounds like just the ticket right now. Good luck and enjoy!

Sarah Ahiers said...

i am TOTALLY ready for BuNoWriMo!

Anonymous said...

Tangents are your most pernicious temptation? Omg, that just so rocks - as do you, Ms. Tart. Congrats on getting as far as you did in ABNA and thanks for sharing the links to see some of the finalists.

I can't fathom committing to a month like that (heck, I just got back to blogging!), but I give big kudos to those who do. Good luck with your new endeavor and wrapping up the wip!

Christine Murray said...

Congratulations on getting so far! You should be really proud of yourself! ;)

Hart Johnson said...

CaH-YAY--I hope you WILL join us!

Katie-thank you! And I am VERY eager to WRITE. I am writing now, but I am eager for something that has really been pestering me...

Sarah-Excellent!

Kimberly-teehee- Well digression IS my religion... Thank you! And you could set a smaller goal, if that is what works...

Christine-thank you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it as far as you did! Your novel is awesome and different - it will find a place eventually.

Good luck with BuNoWriMo. June is too busy here for me to be productive enough.

-Vicki

Johanna Garth said...

I'm still completely in awe that you made it to the semifinals! I have complete confidence your book will be published soon and when it does it will go straight to the top of my to-read list :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Well you definitely gave it your all! Kudos to getting so far.

Anonymous said...

Congrats for getting to the semi-finals. It's definitely a sign that you are on the right track.

I also think you might be on to something with the BuNoWriMo project. As writers I think sometimes our brain just gets in the way of fully embracing that creative little muse in us all. I will have to look into this. Thanks!

Margaret Duarte said...

Congratulations on making it to the semifinals. That's awesome. You're almost there.

Hart Johnson said...

Vicki-thank you! I wish you could join us!

Johanna *blushes* Thank you!

Michael-or at least my MOST, but I got more where that came from *snort*

Sophie-I hope you will join us! We'd love to see you there!

Margaret-almost and then I missed it completely! But I will keep working at it. Thanks!

Sylvia said...

You have every reason to be proud!

RosieC said...

This should be fun. I have about 40K to finish my rewrites of an old novel. I'll find the other 10K somewhere :)