Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Elizabeth Rocks!

Okay, it may not look like it, but this theme ALSO began in Austin... well, it BEGAN when I decided to come out of the closet as a writer and stumbled across Elizabeth, but it was certainly reinforced in Austin.


The Austin Part


Stacy and I talked writing, quite a lot... It is to be expected... we have been friends about 6 years, but both of us just managed our first publishing contracts within the last year, so we paced and worked and toiled together, and now we are panicking together...

The first question, if I am keeping things straight, came when we were talking promotional plan... see... I signed on for a well-oiled machine, and have not yet been ASKED my promotional plan, where Stacy said it was a very stressful thing. My response? When the time comes, I am going to look and see what ELIZABETH does and I'll do that (certainly not so well, but it is a GOOD plan, and so I will aspire to it).

The next one... Stacy was bowing to my blogging prowess... because... you know... you guys are fabulous, and somehow you are all reading ME... (of course I am reading most of YOU, too...) but Stacy said she didn't know how I blogged almost every day. “Do you know anyone who blogs every day?” And you know what? I DO! Elizabeth!

I only wear glasses to see...
The last one I remember, though I'm sure there were at least a few more... we were waiting in line to go through the metal detector into the capitol (didn't even manage to be frisked—RATS!) and Stacy brought up taxes... and did I know you could deduct your writing space... and I said, “Well of course I know! From Elizabeth!”

We laughed considerably that Elizabeth was the answer to every question, but in a way that was full of admiration and fun. It's nice to be able to find all the answers in one spot.


The Primary Lesson

You see... I can be a little flighty (mostly memory stuff) but I have a pretty firm grasp on what I know and don't know. It became clear VERY FAST after joining this blogging community that there was A LOT to learn...

You know what ELSE I know? It is FAR EASIER to learn from someone who knows what they are doing... someone open to questions when you need answers... rather than digging and sorting fact from fiction and having trouble finding the pertinent information.

source
The best move I made in this social networking thing was identifying someone doing everything right... someone generous with her knowledge... and following her around.

Her style and mine are relatively opposite, Elizabeth is helpful, where I am more the frivolous version. But it has helped me over and over and over again to know where to look when I am trying to figure something out.

Whatever it is you want to do, figure out who is doing it right, and go ahead... shamelessly follow, ask, praise... You will learn what you need... You will get something... THEY will get something.



How do I know that?

Among my ABNA friends I've had a few strokes in that direction—thanks for guiding... pushing, sharing... it feels good. It builds good will.

Writing, unlike other professions, doesn't HAVE to have losers to have winners. If we ALL succeed, the whole business benefits and we all win. It is one of the few places I've seen that competition really has great will between competitors. Today they are supposed to announce the ABNA finalists, and I will cheer and be THRILLED for the winners... I've had a really good ride. I've made a lot of friends, learned a lot... and honestly, I think I've helped a few people. It is a win for all.

And to everyone who says to me, 'holy cow! How did you get 500+ blog followers?' I am THRILLED to point at Elizabeth and say she showed me how.


Speaking of, Elizabeth has a book release next month as Riley Adams: Finger Lickin' Dead. Watch for it! (she is visiting here the 14th)

13 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

One of the best parts of blogging for me has been the friendships I have made over the months -- like yours -- and yours with Elizabeth.

In that, all of us with open hearts are winners, Roland

Unknown said...

Great post and so true. This community has been a godsend :)

Old Kitty said...

Awww lovely gorgeous Tart!!!! Yay for wonderful bloggie friends!! Yay for your infectious NAKEDness too!!! That's the best ever!! Truly! take care
x

Jan Morrison said...

I agree at every point. Elizabeth is the pentultimate blogging and writing mentor. She radiates the paramitas of generosity, patience and discipline. Maybe we should have a 'Shower Elizabeth with Love Day'. She rocks and I'm glad bloggers like her and like you, my little tartlette, are in my life!

JMCOOPER said...

Ooo! Ooo! I'm the one who said "Holy cow, 500+ followers! :-) I am now following you AND Elizabeth. Thanks for the tips and congrats on your recent contract! I hope to make that post myself someday!

RosieC said...

Great points, Hart. I'm still working on my super stalker abilities through the blogosphere. Finding the answers is never easy, so it does help to ask folks. :)

Sorry you didn't get frisked *shifty*

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Wow! I'm speechless! Actually, I saw your blog in the car this morning while I was sitting in the carpool line, reading blogs on my phone. The kids were wondering when I suddenly went, "Hey! That's me!" :) Thanks for making me feel good about my general publishing/promo strategy. Sometimes I feel like I'm just fumbling around in the dark!

Stacy Gail said...

Elizabeth, you came up so much in our conversations that I'm sure your ears must have been burning! Hart and I suspect you don't sleep and may even be in possession of a Time-Turner (HP reference :P).

You do so much for the writing community, and whenever I don't know something usually all I have to do is hit your archives to find the answer. Rest assured you are SO appreciated. Oh, and erm, please keep doing your thing so Hart can follow you, and in turn I'll keep doing what I do by following both you and Hart. Makes oodles of sense, ne? :D

Great post, Your Tartness -- I'm blogging about our (mis)adventures in the art museum later today. Miss you, girlie! *hugs*

Johanna Garth said...

The blogging community is amazing! And you're right. One of the best things about being a writer is that other people's success can be almost as sweet as your own. It's such a good feeling when you realize there is absolutely no need to feel all competitive-y!

Laura said...

See, I think you're rather fab... so if you think she's rather fab, I think that I might like her too... and that's how it goes - I have met so many wonderful people in the last 3 months I can barely get my head around it and the amazing support this community offers. Bloggy-loving
Lxxxx

Hart Johnson said...

Hey, my friends! Work took over my daytime (DRAT!) but I will try to catchup!

Roland-back atcha! We DO all win, don't we?!

Siv-I know, I love it, too! Helps SO MUCH!

Jenny *hugs to you* YAY indeed for naked bloggie friends!

Jan-Yeah, what you said! (you have all the fancy words for it, even).

JM-HA! And I thought of you when I wrote that! YAY! Glad you commented, too, so I can head over and follow you back!

Rosie-You do pretty good. I know studently time makes it tough.

Elizabeth-too funny. See... reading blogs on your phone... now THAT is efficiency!

Stacy-a TIME TURNER! You've solved it!

Johanna-it IS pretty amazing, isn't it? To get to wish others WELL and mean it because we all boost each other as we go.

Laura-AWWWWW--you made me warm and fuzzy! Pretty amazing how it goes when you really commit to diving in, eh?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Elizabeth does rock!
And I never would've gotten through the release of my first book or built up my blog to its current state without the help of my online friends.
Which means you rock as well, Hart!

CA Heaven said...

I just wrote a similar comment in another blog, and I repeat it here: Elizabeth's blog is one of my favorites >:)

Cold As Heaven