Thursday, May 12, 2011

Divine Order

So I've been paying a fair bit of attention for a few years now... New authors launching social campaigns... Hopeful Authors launching social campaigns... And I've learned something YOU need to know...


Build Following FIRST, Book Launch AFTER.

Here is why:

1)  If you launch to promote, people will shun your one-trick pony, but if you launch when it's promotion time and FAIL to promote, the opportunity is lost. You need to prove yourself interesting in ABSENSE of promotion, and THEN launch... then the launch may in fact be perceived as ALSO interesting.

2)  You need to PAY IT FORWARD. Nobody has a reason to TRUST you will PAY BACK. If you start up for a promo, in fact, there is every reason to believe that's all you've got. If you promote OTHER authors first (for one to a dozen years) BEFORE you launch, you have collateral for others to shout from the rooftops (or car hoods, or gutters, depending on your audience) when it is your turn.

Work it! If you promote for others, let them KNOW! Otherwise... they don't KNOW! If you know what I mean... I mean surely it's good karma to promote books of others ANYWAY, but this networking thing works better if you reinforce the connections...


And while that is a WISE bit of wisdom I just shared with you, it is all I got today... and probably I will have nothing at ALL tomorrow, as I have a HOUSE GUEST coming! I will try to blog Saturday to make up for my negligence...

In he MEAN TIME....

It's Thursday, you know what THAT means!

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've tried hard to follow that advice, Hart!

Old Kitty said...

Oh it doesn't help that blogger is being all un-naked today!! Booooo!!
LOL!!!!

Time to get Naked and to listen to some wise NAKED words about book launching!! Yay! Take care
x

Katie O'Sullivan said...

Great promo vs. support advice ;-)
....but it's too chilly today to get naked. Can I keep my socks on?

Hart Johnson said...

Jenny-Man, no kidding on the Blogger trouble! Scheduled post went up almost 4 hours late! Very VERY un-naked!

Alex-you've done GREAT at it!

Katie-socks are an ACCESSORY and are therefore allowed. teehee

Carol Kilgore said...

I can't get naked :(

We have had house guests for three weeks. Family in transit.

Help me.....

M.J. Nicholls said...

I once had a goldfish that died on Christmas Eve. I didn't cry because Christmas was four hours away and I was getting chocolate and boy things. We flushed it down the toilet on Boxing Day.

Chris Phillips said...

Basically I just scanned this, but to be successful I should write things backwards to make them more interesting, buy ornate fish, and be naked. Gotcha.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post!
Thanks.

Alison DeLuca said...

I totally did it backwards epub then promo; am now scrambling to catch up. Oh, well - at least it's Naked Thursday

Margaret Hall said...

Ok...I am "flyin' blind" here~!! Thursday, --- naked -- ummm---wanna' help an ol' lady out here??..LOL...I admit I am STUPID...!! =) Anyway, about the promo, I want to promo many and do it all the time, so I "hear" ya'~!
See you around the blog corner...

Hart Johnson said...

Carol--see, if you get NAKED, maybe those house guests will realize their time is up.

Mark--Poor goldfish... death pushed aside for a holiday...

Chris--naked backward fishing... looks like you've got it...

Lynn-thank you!

Alison-I think that is pretty common, and on the ABNA boards I've seen a ton, but that isn't the only place.

Margaret- teehee-- you're not stupid. I'm just nutty... And YAY for sharing the promo love!

Christopher said...

Good advice! :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

Great advice, Hart. I've enjoyed blogfests and the 'company' of other writers long before launching was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

Sometimes its nice to just be with other people who understand what you're thinking and going through.

Plus, where else am I going to find those gorgeous pics you post? ;)

CA Heaven said...

Just returned to my hotel room. Getting naked? Yes, why not >:)

Cold As Heaven

Mel Chesley said...

You know, I've been working that angle for awhile now. Well, not recently, but awhile. I have a website, I have all the information up there as if I already have a fan base and have been working towards the time when I need to promote.

Actually, I think I need to create a whole new page of fellow authors on my site. People I "know" through networking and promote them to help promote me for when the time comes...

Hm.... better get busy!

Southpaw said...

It's weird, but it makes sense. My big "I don't know" is how to promote others or rather the best way. Now, that I have a consistent amount of followers at least when I do promote something, someone will see it. ;)

Old Kitty said...

I got very NAKED on Thursday but Blogger sort of had a fit and took away my comment here and everywhere else too! :-(

I can't remember what I said in my comment then, I just remember the NAKED bit! :-) take care
x

Unknown said...

Can I put some clothes on now? Getting kind of chilly...lol! Good advice!

LTM said...

short and sweet and always awesome. Thanks, girl! I'm so glad I'm finally seeing the light over here!

((hugs)) to you~ :o)

CA Heaven said...

I commented on this post a couple of days ago, in my hotel room when I was up in Murmansk, before Blogger broke down, or maybe it was the FSB who blocked me >:D

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the Hell I wrote, but probaby it wasn't very important.

Cold As Heaven

Cheeseboy said...

You're advice is always so wise. Especially when it involves nudity.

Anonymous said...

Great advice!