So in the course of learning the stuff that went into YESTERDAY's post, I learned something interesting about tele-com... if you press '*67' and THEN dial, you come up as calling from a 'restricted number'--there is no evidence you called... the recipient can't see who you are to screen, and the phone keeps no record of where the call came from.
Help me here. What would be the PURPOSE of this 'service'? A service that is FREE. The conspiracy theorist in my says SOMEBODY has a vested interest in this, which is never the plain old public. So I thought maybe we'd brainstorm who this would help.
1) Prank callers (this is in fact what my daughter said was 'the only use' she knew.
2) Teenaged couples trying to double check their parents aren't around so they can 'sneak in'--if you know what I mean...
3) Addled parental couples trying to double check no kids are home so they can 'sneak in'--if you know what I mean *shifty*
4) Burglars double checking that you aren't home, so they can sneak in.
5) Stalkers who just want to hear your voice but remain anonymous.
6) Lovers who don't want to leave a record for your spouse.
7) Militant libertarians who just don't think there should be ANY records. Ever.
8) Regular libertarians who do it on principal.
9) Spam calls telling you how to vote and the like that don't want to be screened.
10) Tele-marketers who don't want to be screened and are trying to avoid getting in trouble because you are on a Do-Not-Call list.
Any takers on my conspiracy theory? I'm thinking of taking up a really obnoxious campaign on the matter unless somebody can give me a SINGLE DECENT REASON for the existence of this "service".