Monday, April 1, 2013

Anteater, Apocalypse and Angels!!!


WELCOME to anyone who's never been here, and Welcome BACK to anyone who HAS! My theme this month is simple: An animal, an amusement, and an author (or book) for each letter... I will try to keep it short and sweet. For reference, this blog is WRITING and HUMOR for the most part. And though I love nakedness, I keep it PG.  And be sure to check out the OTHER A to Zers!


Anteater

I love giant anteaters... they are strange and beautiful, and just LOOK—the baby rides on mama's back! How cute is that? I've been to a fair few zoos over the years, and the only zoo I've been to that has one is the Detroit zoo. *huggles anteater*



Apocalypse LOVE

I know... who's amused by an apocalypse? ME! That's who!!! I have always loved movies, TV shows, or books about the BIG END... or rather... the people who have to survive it... I think the set-up brings out the best and worst in people and it makes for AMAZING drama! I'm even in process of writing my second book of this sort. Here is a list of just a few that I love:

Tomorrow When the War Began, by John Marsden (7 book series)
The Stand by Stephen King
Road Warrior (movie, back before Mel Gibson was annoying)
I am Legend (movie)
War of the Worlds by HG Wells
Survivors (BBC Series, two seasons)
Jericho (CBS Series, two seasons)

[Also love Alice in Chains and Aerosmith *nods*]


And ANGELS!!!

I'm featuring my buddy Stacy today, who's NOT an angel, but she just had her fourth book in her series accepted—two of these are out and the third comes out in May, so I am blurbing you on the three you can get at!

Nobody's Angel

Investigative journalist Kendall Glynn is horrified when a friend and colleague signs off permanently during a live newscast, jabbing a pen into his jugular. Kendall's no expert, but judging by the strange white veil in the anchorman's eyes, she would swear he was a man possessed.

A descendant of the accursed Nephilim, Zeke Reece prowls San Francisco by night, keeping the city free from paranormal phenomena. But even he is no match for whatever malevolent force is behind a recent rash of murder-suicides. And when a beautiful and tenacious reporter becomes the next target, Zeke has no choice but to stay close to her, until he can find the evil spirit and cross it over.

The closer Kendall gets to the truth, the more danger she's in. Fortunately, a sexy and mysterious masked stranger keeps swooping in to the rescue. Kendall's life depends on finding who or what is responsible for the killings, before it finds her.


Savage Angel

Feel nothing. Sara Savitch's personal mantra has been hard to live by ever since her torrid one-night stand with army doctor Gideon Mandeville. Descended from the Seraphim, angels known as heaven's soldiers, Sara may be an expert fighter, but she's an amateur when it comes to relationships.

Physically unharmed, but still battle-scarred, Gideon has returned to Dallas in the hopes of regaining his faith in humanity—and in himself. Instead he's walked into a nightmare. His father is on a serial killer's hit list, and has hired a personal bodyguard—the very woman who has haunted Gideon's dreams for a year.


Wounded Angel (coming May 27)

A descendant of the Angel of Vengeance, Nate da Luca was gifted with an uncanny ability to find things. It made his job as a detective a breeze—until he learned the hard way that some things should remain hidden. After that, his powers vanished, along with his belief in himself. Which is going to make tracking down Gabriella Littlefield for his latest client a challenge.

Personal trainer Ella Little paid a hefty price for her life—now all she wants is to live it in peace. Then a sexy hulk of a man turns up in her gym, reigniting desires she thought she'd left behind along with her real name and hair color.

Desires she can't deny even after she discovers Nate's no stranger to her dark past.

Before he can convince her the attraction is mutual, Nate's going to have to earn Ella's trust. But a demon is playing for keeps in the world of humans, using Ella as bait, and the last thing they have is time…



35 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hart .. I love Anteaters .. I hadn't realised the little ones rode on their backs ..

Good luck to Stacy ... cheers Hilary

M.J. Fifield said...

I love that you're amused by the apocalypse. Of course, as a devout Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, I suppose they amuse me too.

Ermie said...

Anteaters are very cool! Not so keen on Angels, but Apocalypse... now you're talking! :-)

Laura said...

I wanna huggle an anteater too :)
Love Stacy's books - may have to grab them all if only to ogle the beautiful covers!!!
Lx

Blogging AtoZ @ChickLitLove

Old Kitty said...

Oooh! Love angels too - especially the NAKED kind!! Oh but not as much as gorgeous giant anteaters!! Yay! Take care
x

Sean McLachlan said...

Last night I finished Earth Abides, a classic post-apocalyptic book from 1949. It won the first World Fantasy Award. Sociological and ecological in focus, it skips the survivalist gunplay, magic breaking into the real world, and zombies of so many other books of the genre. Weird how a book from 60 years ago can feel like a breath of fresh air.
I'm in the early stages of a book in that genre and this was an inspiration. i won't get rid of the gunplay though. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to Stacy!
You're right, I've only seen a giant anteater in a zoo once.

Charity Bradford said...

Great idea for a theme, and the Angel covers are amazing. I could look at two of those all day. ;)

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I love Anteaters too, but I love the concept (storyline only) of an apocalypse.

T

Yolanda Renée said...

Anteaters, beautiful...okay.

Apocalypse -- Did you see the end of Walking Dead.

Angel cover art, awesome!

So, three A -- words, does that mean three everyday? Cause I'm having trouble finding one! :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love THE STAND and I AM LEGEND! And, of course, THE WALKING DEAD, on TV. :)

Happy A-Z!

Hart Johnson said...

Sean-I'll have to look for that! Sounds like the angle I like too. I'm not as much a zombie fan. Humans are rotten enough without being undead...

Tina said...

Love your theme! I also love anteaters and platypus plural, which spell check is refusing to let me in on the secret spelling...
Those books sound right up my alley...how many books can a Kindle hold? Cuz I still haven't finished reading all the ones I bought during last year's challenge...sigh.

Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I believe the ABQ zoo had a giant anteater. Those things are huge!

Anonymous said...

Love your trio of As! Anteaters are awesome!

Jan Morrison said...

wonderful crazy theme - I'm doing the same as last year! I like anteaters too - they are sooooo bizarre and seem shy. I can't wait til Bright Angel gets published and then you can put it in your angel book list! Ha. Though it isn't about an actual angel but a trail in the Grand Canyon.
Congrats to your buddy - it looks excellent good!

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Detroit zoo and seen the ant eater. They always shock me with how big they are.

Sheila Siler said...

Quite a theme you have going there! Hope you have a great time with the challenge!

Amber T. Smith said...

You are absolutely NUTS doing three words/themes for each letter!! Anteaters are cool, not keep on apocalypse stuff, and LOVE those Angels... (Stacy is my 'E', by the way *winks*).

Chancelet said...

That's a wonderful picture of anteaters. I never knew they carried their young on their backs. Also, I love disaster movies too!

Al Penwasser said...

Speaking of apocalypse....
After my son watched "2012," I asked him how it was.
He replied, "Okay...for a movie about the apocalypse."
Oh, my. Sounds like he has my sense of humor.
Poor kid.

DiscConnected said...

I have heard good things about Jericho.

It seems like most of the apocalypse stories these days center around zombies, and George Romero's first film back in the sixties did it best (in my opinion).

Hopefully your work takes a different spin...

Larry

Nagzilla said...

I like your theme. Very cool!

Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

Shelley Munro said...

Anteaters are such funny looking animals. I've never seen one in person but would like to.
I used to like Jericho. I was sorry when they ended the show.

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

I love angels! Wonderful to know about these books.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Mary Montague Sikes

The Daily Bern said...

What an interesting combination!

Nick Wilford said...

Oh, I'm glad it's the baby riding on the mummy's back. At first glance I wasn't sure what was going on and how many animals were involved... O.o

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Nobody's Angel sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Anteaters are pretty sweet!! (Haha...sugar, ants, sweet... Sorry. I had to.)

VR Barkowski said...

Anteaters, apocalypses and angels—Look at all these "A"s, Tarty! You've got "A"s coming out of your… um...never mind.

I think anteaters are cute too. These days whenever I think of the Apocalypse, Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD comes to mind. Not the movie though, the book.


~VR Barkowski

Helena said...

Okay, so I really, really like the covers to Stacy's books. Even without the blurbs (which hooked me), I'd want to open these books.

I know a few guys who say King's The Stand is their favorite book. One of these days I'm finally going to read it.

AND HART -- I gave Begonia a shout-out on my blog today. It was fun.

AJ Lauer said...

Hooray for Anteaters! And apocalypses :) I actually have an apocalyptic book, if you want to check it out: http://amzn.com/0615715850
Happy A-Z'ing!

AJ Lauer
Twitter: @ayjaylauer

Anstice Brown said...

I love anteaters, they're so cute and weird. I like that your theme is a mix of random stuff, it will be fun to see what you come up with. I too love a good apocalypse story. Well done to your friend Stacy for having her 4th book accepted-mega achievement! The covers are HOT!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I actually bought an apocalyptic book on the strength of the title alone: GO-GO GIRLS OF THE APOCALYPSE -- it was actually a fun read. And all those male angels probably won't hurt female sales!

Arlee Bird said...

I too am a big fan of apocalypse stories. Love the Mad Max series.

Off to a good start!

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

mymy said...

the "end of the world" always fascinates me...including angels. interesting books!