Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ibex, Insanity, and Ian


This bad boy is a Nubian Ibex... not sure how an Oldbian one differs
Impressive Ibex

Just LOOK at the horns on that big boy! I am completely convinced Pan was actually an Ibex, because MAN, what do those say about virility! *wolf whistles* Even Aberforth ought to be impressed!

The ibexes (ibices?) I've seen aren't nearly so testosterone-filled as this mighty fellow, and without the huge horns, they look more deer-like, but this makes clear that goat connection, which is more accurate.


Insanity Is I?

Wait, what? (is she INSANE?) I think we've established that, but this mid-section is on amusements (because I find mid-sections amusing—see how I did that?) *cough* But seriously... I find the breed of insanity I practice HIGHLY amusing... and the other kind... well lets just say I like my fiction infused with it. I don't want people to ACTUALLY be mentally ill in real life. I've has some crazy people in my life (still do) and in reality, it's not so fun. But I LOVE stories that cope with it—whether a sympathetic sufferer or an underlying psychosis of the villain. I am fascinated at the human mind's protective capacity, even if what it has to do to protect the host is create havoc with reality.


And Last but not Least, One of my ABNA Buddies

Ian Healy: Ian writes some sci-fi/fantasy and some superhero stuff. He has a unique, smart style that mixes a good story with a fair few chuckles, all the while giving you realistic characters you can root for. I've read a few of his short stories, plus Blood on the Ice, but here I am giving you a peak at Just Cause because I like the sound of it, and a link to his page of books to go see for yourself:

A NEW HERO FOR A NEW ERA

Mustang Sally has some speedy shoes to fill. This young superhero has waited her whole life to join Just Cause – the premiere team of American heroes. Now she’s hoping her super-speed will earn a spot on the same team to which her parents and grandparents belonged.

AN OLD GRUDGE FROM AN OLD ENEMY

A chance encounter with the villain who killed her father changes everything. Even though she’s only an intern, Sally devotes herself to finding the man known as Destroyer. With the help of her eagle-winged best friend Sondra and her super-strong love interest Jason, her investigations uncover a sinister plot stretching all the way back to her grandparents’ era. Sally and Just Cause must risk everything to halt Destroyer’s plans and save the entire world.




12 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You know, in a name-the-animal game, I'm not sure I could have come up with the Ibex...I'm glad to read this post! Those are definitely impressive horns.

Love reading about insanity in crime fic!

Thanks for the introduction to Ian. :)

Jan Morrison said...

Ibex - trust you, my friend!
insanity - uh, being a therapist best not go there in a comment - but my wip has as its heroine a young woman thought of as mentally ill. And the book you're touting - looks like a great read! Thanks, Tartlette ...

Roland D. Yeomans said...

JUST CAUSE sounds fun. And the Ibex is certainly distinctive! Have fun today, Roland

Alison DeLuca said...

Yay, Ian! He's always a lot of fun, with his own brand of Iansanity.

And speaking of that.... I'm right there with you, girl. Love the ways the human brain goes awry. Love it.

Have you ever read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? Amazing.

Matthew MacNish said...

Whoa! The horns on that fella.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm not going to lie. I LOL'd at your Nubian/Oldbian joke. Bravo. Bravo.

Mark Means said...

Nothing wrong with a little crazy...it helps us cope! :)

Just Cause sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Left and Write

Tina said...

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell..."
Here's a quote I got off facebook and added to my favorite quotes:
We don't like the term "insane"...we prefer "mentally hilarious"
That's what you're talking about, right? Cracked up at your comment at Alex's today ;-)

We don't like the term "insane"...we prefer "mentally hilarious"

Cynthia said...

I think it would make sense for certain extreme villains to suffer from some mental condition- narcissism, for example.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to Ian!
Those are some big horns...

Helena said...

Can you imagine the neck muscles on that ibex?

Unknown said...

The books sound like fun. What's not to love about superheroes? And the Ibex's horns are very impressive. I would not want to meet him in a dark alleyway!