Friday, April 19, 2013

Quail, Quibbler, and Quinn


QUAIL!!!

One of my very favorite birds is the quail. You know why? It's the head bobbles.

But MAN, could you imagine HAVING one of those bobbles? I'd constantly be jerking my head because I'd think I saw something out of the corner of my eye... yet no. It's the bobble. Still, they are darned cute.


The Quibbler

I wish I knew how to make a bunch of sappy hearts here. The Quibbler represents so many things I love...


* Belief in the absurd in spite of lack of evidence
* Doing what's right even in the face of danger
* Starry-eyed, delusional open mindedness...
* LUNA (she is one of my VERY favorite characters)
* My HPANA days. I was actually a part of a thread that was SO prolific that once a month we'd publish a 'Quibbler' to summarize our theories (both the real and the delusional). MAN, it was fun to be that immersed in a Fandom...



Quinn Review: Or rather, my review for Delirium

For a plot reminder, Lirium is a 'debt collector'. In a rather ugly future, when the years of life a person has left fall below the monetary value of what they 'owe' then they're, for want of a better word, 'exchanged'--the life is sucked out of them and their debts canceled... Nice and elegant. But what happens to the life collected? That life force is then given to some vastly productive person—a brilliant or talented person who will undoubtedly do society better than the people forced into collection.

My review:

This future world is cold and cruel... but Lirium doesn't seem to quite grasp that, initially. He is smart, but he is also doing something dark and miserable, so it is better to keep the blinders on. The author does a great job painting it--the necessary coping mechanisms for the job he has to do, the way nobody will look at him. The hints without ever saying it about the vast disparity being created in the world between people who are gifted in some way, and those who are not--a disparity that literally sucks life from one sort and gives it to the other. It's excellently crafted. This was my first test of an 'episodic' story, too, and I think it does well with giving an arc of the story that leaves me wanting to know what else is going to happen. I am definitely eagerly awaiting more.


And I promise to get back to getting around today... I had hella work stuffs mid week, so had a couple days I was awful, but back to it!!!

12 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Great Q's

And the book, on my TBR list - what an interesting premise.

Happy Friday!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The bobble would make me nuts, too. I already fight my long hair.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh, I love The Quibbler too, and for all the reasons you listed (well, except the last as I was not a part of your HPANA days).

And quails are adorable. I love it when they make appearances in my yard.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Luna is one of my favorites, too. :)

I know Susan mentioned on her blog that this was a darker story than her others...sounds like an interesting installment!

mshatch said...

I have been hearing good things about Susan's The Debt Collector.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't believe I've ever heard of the Quibbler.

Johanna Garth said...

I really like the premise. Sounds interesting and I read one of the books you recommended (name escapes me at the moment) while I was gone and LOVED it!

Sarah Ahiers said...

man, that Quail is ADORBS!

Helena said...

Well, I feel dumb. I completely spaced out that the Quibbler is a newspaper from the Potter books.

And of course Quinn's is on my list.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love their song and chuckle sounds they make. Dare I say, they taste good too?

I'm glad I don't live in a world like Susan creates. Sounds like it's well put together.

Jai said...

I love quails. I love how they race in a line behind their parents. They are great birds.

Mel Chesley said...

Quails are adorable! I used to sit and watch them when I lived in Arizona. Driving around in a golf cart one day, one thought he was a Road Runner as he zipped along beside me for quite a distance. :D