Monday, December 5, 2011

The Plan BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!

If you've been around awhile, you know I can't say PLAN without a cackle. *cough*  So I was suffering from NaNoLag for a few days there, even though the book wasn't done. (in fact I think I am still suffering from it to a lesser degree) I just couldn't make myself keep going. It was compounded with a sick daughter, the death of the loved one of someone I care about, and just general holiday chaos, but for a few days there, I just couldn't reengage my mojo.

This weekend I managed to do a little on the BOOK end. I took the first and second off, but Saturday did a sprint in the midst of what was legitimately a very busy day, so even one was good, and Sunday managed THREE sprints, thereby finishing my first draft of Medium Wrong except for that tie-up chapter, which I've made some progress on. It has several spots along the way that need holes filled in, though less than former WriMos. It is over 76K now, so may be 90K before DONE DONE, and then I will need to pare it. 70K is really closer to right, but I know how these things go.

I STILL though, need a push to get back on track on the other stuff, as I have a book to finish this month for my Cozy contract. Some of you may not get my panic about it... it isn't due until June 30, but the fact of the matter is my revision method requires some down time. So I thought I'd share my PLAN—BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


Starting today:

Write on Chrysanthemum Campaign (CC) like a WriMo—an hour sprint each evening. An hour in the tub later. Three sprints on weekends. No exceptions. At that rate I should manage 2000 word a day weekdays and 5000 weekend days up to the slowdown point (the ¾ mark). That is 20K a week for the next two, then I will slow to maybe 15K... possibly ten, but it is enough I can finish this month.


January: CC will SIT for a month (except some typing of what was already written). I will revise LEGACY for ABNA. LEGACY is relatively clean, but I have had a few recommendations and need a lot of work on pitch and such.

February: Revise CC on my own. Immerse in ABNA--February is the biggest month for this. Finish typing What Ales Me.

March: Send CC to peers with strict one-month deadline. Revise 'What Ales Me'. Work on promotional plan for AZALEA ASSAULT.

April: Peer recommended revisions for CC. Send What Ales Me to peers.

May: Beta read carefully CC. Execute promo stuff.

JUNE: Azalea Assault release. CC to agent. WRITE YA Armageddon. This is a twist on one I've been planning a long time--the ideas for what it's about are definitely filling in.


So at least there is a path again. I feel some relief about that. I am in a bit of a blog funk, too. Should be better soon, as I have 12 days of Christmas plans. But at the moment, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels just a little.

Today I largely won't be here—I have a funeral to attend. But hopefully that, too, will be getting back on track (the blog visiting, I mean).



And... so we get a little holiday stuff going, my buddy Laura over at the Daily Dodo, along with Lorelei, are hosting a SECRET SANTA event for bloggers. No money involved. Just a little time and creativity. So if you'd like to pass along a gift to a blogger friend for the holidays, go over and check it out!

21 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh Hart! I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Please pass on my deepest sympathies.

I hope your daughter gets better asap!

I like that you have a most NAKED and amazing plan ahead! Well done you. Keep Cackling!!! :-)

Take care
x

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You're amazing with your plan! I should do something like that. Instead, I write right up till deadline and scramble...

Tonja said...

I have to plan my writing much more loosely than that. My muse is easily suffocated.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

LOL I believe you are proof the naked move faster :o)

Best year ever to you.

LynnRush said...

I'm sorry to hear there is a funeral in your plans today. Hang in there. IT's very tough, I've been through that recently. I will be thinking of you today.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Wow, sounds like life is throwing a lot at you right now. So sorry to hear you've lost someone:(. But I'm incredibly impressed and awed by your organizations skills and that plan!

Megan Bostic said...

Sorry for the loss of your friends and your sick daughter. Much on your plate it sounds like.

Good to have a plan. I seriously need one of those. Maybe I could get this rewrite done.

Jan Morrison said...

Love the plan. Love it. But still have questions - when you are revising Legacy for ABNA - what exactly are you doing? And what has happened to Kahlotus?
Sorry for your friend's loss and glad you will be there for them.

Deb and Barbara said...

Down time is critical for creative work and for stressed time. I think it is great you've scheduled it in here in your great PLAN bwahahahaha! Good luck with everything (and definitely plan down time for yourself for after the funeral. These are always tough.)
B

Luanne G. Smith said...

I'm exhausted just reading that. Really, I'm going back to bed. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So sorry you lost someone close, Hart!!!

Alison DeLuca said...

So sorry to hear about the sad loss. Best wishes.

And thanks for letting us know about the Secret Santa blogfast. Too cool.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I think I'll stop complaining about all the stuff I have to do, because it's nothing compared to your list! Wow! :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

How do you get so much energy to do all this stuff? /stares in awe at the naked tart.

Johanna Garth said...

I love your plan! Maybe you should start a side business (in all your spare time) of creating writing plans for writers who have lost their way. Seriously! I bet you would makes oodles of cash!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Whew I feel a bit tired just reading your plan. You are one organized woman, wish I had half that energy! And I love the cover of your Azalea book. Can't wait to get my copy!

Hart Johnson said...

Thank you so much, everyone. It really is a little overwhelming to come in after a day away and see the support. I love you guys.

Jan-Kahlotus is on submission still--4 nos, 4 to hear from, but if those are nos, too, we will add to the list. LEGACY got a really fabulous read from Jenny Milchman last spring (there have been MANY along the way)--but this was feedback on voice (a little too grown up for 13) that I think I should heed.

Johanna-you might be onto something! I LOVE telling people what to do! erm...

C D Meetens said...

Even just reading your plan made me feel extra organised, and not a little bit panicked at what has to be done... and it's not even my plan or things for me to do! Good luck with it though!

Sarah Ahiers said...

i always love how you plan things out by month. It seems so organized

Anonymous said...

You sound scary organized! That's a great place to be.

Krista McLaughlin said...

Sorry about your friend - I know how you feel. I lost a close friend a few weeks ago and it's hard to get back to writing.

But your schedule looks very busy and I'm sure that you can do it! :)