Friday, February 11, 2011

The Art of Misattribution


So today's blog topic is one from my random topic, number generating files. I asked http://www.random.org/integers/ for a number between one and 41, and it came up with #7, which is of course the most powerfully magic number, and so logically corresponds with Misattribution—my SUPERPOWER.



Defining Misattribution: You know those squares at Microsoft don't even believe it's a WORD, which is baffling. Misattribution is the action of intentionally mishearing or misinterpretting, preferably to turn what was said into something sexual in nature.



Historic Examples (and by Historic, I mean... you know... me)



When I Met Stacy

The discussion was on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the remake.

I said, “I liked Gene Wilder's version better. Johnny's Willy was a little to creepy for my yum factor.”

Stacy... proceeded to poke fun at me, because though I innocently MEANT Johnny's portrayal of Willy Wonka, well... you can imagine what SHE saw... (in fact this may have been the awakening of my SUPERPOWER)


Cher Bear, Just Yesterday

Yesterday my friend Cheri Channeled Rita Skeeter for a guest post at Burrowers, Books & Balderdash... She was having weather issues because it snowed two feet in Arkansas (if you can believe that) so she was a little behind and sent me THIS when she sent the post:

You have mail... I fully expect to be sent to the dungeon in chains. ;)

I saw that yesterday morning after I'd already checked my email, so I responded:

Got it! Up in 6 minutes!

No problem, eh? But when I was checking Facebook later in the day... my eyes IGNORED one crucial character *cough *

So I said, “so I just saw my comment and my brain ignored the exclamation point and I wondered who was being obscene and then saw it was me... “


Now you might think it doesn't COUNT if you misattribute your OWN words, but in reality, I think you get double points.



But the BEST thing about Misattribution...

Is people see the word, and they misattribute what it says... Nine times out of ten people see that word and are thoroughly convinced it says.... well what do YOU see?

So there... Misattribution is a skill worth nurturing... see that you all give it a try this weekend...



So Hot It's Almost Misattribution

So my buddy the Beer Wench, Liz, who I interviewed  a while back about her short story being picked up, turned that story into a book deal. The BOOK was partially first posted on her blog and removed, and you all know the nature of serials, yes... each episode is both self contained, and aimed at bringing the reader back for more?

Well as it turns out, this book deal, is poised to be one of the first... get this... you won't be able to believe it... 'pick your own EROTICA'... the reader gets to make decisions and that sends them into their next little fantasy segment! Beer and sex, all YOUR CHOICE!

Read more about it HERE. (there is lots of eye candy, too!)

So there!  I hope you all have a great weekend!

29 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm *always* the last person to catch on when I've accidentally made an innuendo, or when someone else has! Sigh.

Charmaine Clancy said...

Why do I feel like a beer after reading this?

Misha Gerrick said...

Lol I loved this post.

It happens a lot in my sport of choice, but then, fencing lends itself to inuendo and misattribution. If you know what to look for.

:-P

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Pick your own erotica - how wild!

I liked JD's performance, but I'll always think of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. Just takes me back to my childhood.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember Liz! That's good stuff.

Liz said...

rock on peeps! it's gonna be a wild ride! More "alternate scenes" and potential new destinies await My Heroine. Should be fun...keep watching the bed wench blog for updates.
drink craft beer--anything else and the terrorists win!
cheers
Liz

CA Heaven said...

Som hot stuff for the weekend is a nice contrast to the cold snow >:)

Cold As Heaven

Old Kitty said...

Ooo-er missus is all I can say to misattribution! :-) Take care
x

Deb and Barbara said...

Is it weird that I misattributed "Beer Wench" (which is quite a common expression) with "Bear Wench" (which I have never even heard of). What does THAT mean?

Hart Johnson said...

*giggles* Elizabeth-you aren't my only 'innocent' friend...

Charmaine-me too, and it's only 10 am!

Misha-sounds like I need to pay attention to fencing!

Diane-Yeah--I didn't DISLIKE Johnny as Willy, I just didn't find him hot, like I typically do, but I am with you on the childhood piece.

Alex-it IS, isn't it! Sex and beer!

Liz-very excited for you on this project!

CaH-EXACTLY!

Jenny--it's a great word, eh!?

Hart Johnson said...

Barbara-Bear Wench... maybe it is a Cold War slander? *snort*

Sarah Ahiers said...

when i first read that title, i thought it said something else, which is apropos now that i've read the whole post.
Dammit! My work blocks the link regarding the pick your own erotica. I'll have to check it out this weekend

Colene Murphy said...

Ohhh! I needed this laugh!! Thanks for that! Johnny's willy totally made me snort.

Helena said...

Okay, so first I gotta comment on yesterday's poem in your blog. Talk about an epic! Talk about drama! And am I correct in assuming you took for inspiration that American classic "Casey at the Bat"?

Choose your own erotica? Oh brave new world!

Raquel Byrnes said...

Wow, kinda turns the whole "Choose Your Own Adventure" series from my childhood on its ear. I always died in those...wonder what would happen in your friend's?
Edge of Your Seat Romance

M.J. Nicholls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M.J. Nicholls said...

Hahahaha! Six minutes would be a personal best for me. In Yorkshire, "Watery Tart" translates as "What a reet tart," which isn't misattribution, but a funny slur on your reputation, anyway. Stay away from Yorkshire!

Tony Benson said...

I love the idea of interactive 'pick your own erotica' fiction. Hang on, just need to make a few notes.....

Great to meet you, fellow crusader. I hope you have a good crusade, and I look forward to getting to know you.

Abby Minard said...

Hahaha totally saw what you said we might misattribute the word misattribute the word for . Cute post!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Wow, interesting post. I've never heard of that word before so this was a total learning thing for me. Thanks for this!

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

erica and christy said...

Finding (misattributed or not) innuendo is sometimes the only fun way to spend a conversatioin. :)
erica

Margo Berendsen said...

I love hearing about other writer's super powers - misatttibution is a great one! You can have so much fun (intended and unintended) with that one!)

I am a new follower and fellow crusader.

Kim Mullican said...

Hello fellow crusader! I must agree - Gene Wilder was my favorite Willy Wonka...I love Johnny Depp but it didn't help that the last movie I saw him in, he was a singing psychopathic barber slaying victims...creepy.

I must say - I'm very guilty of misattribution several times a week ;)

Cheeseboy said...

Oh, like Choose Your Own Adventure books. I so would have read those in 7th grade!

Talli Roland said...

I love the thought of choose your own erotica! :)

Walter Knight said...

I was going to say that misattribution is the number one cause of writer's block, but then I looked closer. Is there really such a word?

Private said...

Thanks for making me smile, Tart:)

Missed Periods said...

Misattribuation is perfectly natural.

Lisa Potts said...

I love your posts, girlie. I think I heard Mrs. Bill Gates say that misattribution is the new black.

And about that choose your own erotica? How would you ever be able to put the book down?