Friday, November 2, 2012

Rouge by Leigh T. Moore: A Reveal and Review


So today's an exciting day and thanks to ME, YOU get to participate in it!!! I'm groovy that way.

My good buddy and crit partner, or critters, as she calls us Leigh T. Moore, who has had such success with The Truth about Faking has a new book coming out this month (November 11) and TODAY is the day we get to share the cover AND.... I've had the good fortune to read an advanced copy, so I am also going to give you a review!

First up...  The GORGEOUS cover for ROUGE!!!!



Isn't it amazing? It was designed by Jolene Perry and I believe perfectly captures the feel of the book.

From Goodreads:  Trapped in the underground theater world of 1890s New Orleans, Hale Ferrer has only one goal: escape. But not without Teeny, the orphan-girl she rescued from the streets and promised to protect.

Freddie Lovel, Hale's wealthy Parisian suitor, seems to be the easy solution. If only his touch could arouse her interest like Beau's, the penniless stagehand who captures her heart.

Denying her fears, Hale is poised to choose love until an evil lurking in their cabaret-home launches a chain of events that could cost her everything.


My Review:

Leigh's talent is clear in everything she writes. Polished, expert. Likeable characters, well-drawn plot. But I have to admit, though I love all her stuff, this is THE BEST ONE so far. It is historic romance set in steamy New Orleans in the late 19th century.

Hale has grown up in the cabaret hall--a place that carefully balances outward glamor and private sleaze. The girls all need to earn their keep... one way or another... and only through a promise by the manager to her dying mother (and a talent that keeps bringing in the crowds), does Hale feel she's avoided 'the back'.  Hale, good-hearted and not understanding the implications, begged to take in a young street girl several years back, and unfortunately, Teeney has the tragic combination of no talent and great beauty--she will never earn her keep legitimately... Hale feels fully responsible for the girl's well being.

I loved how rich this setting was--the combination of beauty, danger, and a sense of family for all these displaced people who are at the mercy of the people with money. The motive was built in beautifully and believably for Hale to feel so torn between duty and following her heart. The characters were well drawn, the tension and romance sprinkled just right. I really think this is a fabulous book. You should all go order it.

Leigh at Goodreads
Leigh on Facebook
Leigh's Blog

Good luck with your release, Leigh!!!

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations to Leigh! Fantastic cover and a great review. I'll put this on my TBR. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Leigh will be very happy - double bonus today for her!

LTM said...

SQUEE!!! *cough* I mean, squee. :D LOL! Oh, TH, thank you so much for this wonderful review. ROUGE is so special to me, and I hope folks love it. you're the best~ ((hugs)) <3 <3

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I know. Isn't it just gorgeous?!!!! And the premise is awesome. So excited for Leigh.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for gorgeous Leigh!!! And what a most NAKED review!! Yay!! Take care
x

Julie Musil said...

LOVE the cover. LOVE the premise. This sounds awesome! Congratulations, Leigh!

Helena said...

A nineteenth century theater in New Orleans for the setting really grabbed my attention. I'm a real sucker for enticing historical stories, and this one certainly sounds like it's right for me.

Hart Johnson said...

You guys really all ought to read it! It has something for everyone.

Ella said...

Great review
It has a haunting appeal that piques
One s curiosity
Love the cover
Congrats Leigh