Monday, June 6, 2011

Fun and Games Blog Fest


It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

Sorry. I'm incapable of saying 'fun and games' without following with that.

So today is a fun and frivolous blogfest. Alex Cavanaugh is hosting, and wants us to talk about our three favorite games. I played a lot of games as a kid—it was my mom's nefarious plan to get her only offspring to spend time with her. But it was also something I periodically did with my dad or my grandma.

Dad taught me chess when I was seven “because he didn't think my mom was capable of learning it” (wasn't he a prince?) At the time I felt honored. Now I feel a little like my mom should have thunked him in the head. He also taught me cribbage, but THAT one mom played, too, so for me, it stuck a lot longer.

There were a couple 'lake' card games. My grandparents had a lake cabin with a big round table, perfect for large card games. The two I remember were called Up the River, Down the River and Oh, Hell. They were both trick taking games, if I remember right, and Up the River, Down the River involved increasing then decreasing hand sizes (meaning how many cards everybody got, not that we had growing then shrinking gloves or something)

But the ones that have stuck...


Monopoly

Somehow this has become a new years ritual. My kids like to play, but only if there is no option of being off with their friends... I have always loved this game, but as an only child, I didn't get to play much—everyone KNOWS it isn't a two-person game! As a kid, we would leave a card table set up for days and keep coming back to it. I'm currently married to Mr. McStuffypants and he doesn't like to leave stuff out (which also makes me sad on a puzzle front). So when we play, it always ends up a marathon... hours and hours of Monopoly.


Uno

This is one I never played as a kid. I have no idea when it was invented, but it never made it to my house... it is great though, in that it is easy enough for all ages, unpredictable, and a little wacky. Honestly, though, I think what I like best about it now, is it is so quick to get out and put away... low maintenance.


Backgammon

I have UNCANNY Backgammon luck. I think it is a good mix of luck and skill—I know how to not leave my men alone... If I HAVE to, I know which ones have the least to lose. Cribbage is this right mix, too—of thinking and luck, but my card luck doesn't run quite as deep. I really enjoy the game, but I'm not much fun to play with.



Honorary mention: Best Tart Game

This is actually Disco Crisco Twister
Crisco Twister

So how many of you in college greased up your Twister boards so everyone fell all over each other and the game culminated in a large group shower? Just me then?

Our board (meaning mine) was actually covered in margarine... it just seemed a better option than Crisco unless we wanted to end up light and flaky. And MAN we (this time I really do mean we) had fun.


And FYI on BuNoWriMo



Microbrew Mystery
is 32% complete



16029 / 50000 words written

53 comments:

Mel Chesley said...

Ha! Nice... Crisco Twister. XD Backgammon is one of my faves too, but you have the same luck my hubby does. And now my son, cause I taught him how to play this week. Damnit. XD

mooderino said...

I always found the idea of monopoly cool, and the first werounds was fun, but eventually it became a tedious slog and the winner was apparent well before the end.

(can you tell I never won?)

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino

Ted Cross said...

Aw, what's wrong with chess? Yeah, I know, too time consuming to learn. I must be a bad dad, since I hardly play any of these games with my sons, even though I enjoy them okay.

Unknown said...

How could I have forgotten about twister!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I have no idea how to play backgammon! The others I've loved...well, except for *Crisco* Twister. I played the non-Crisco version. :)

Christine Murray said...

I love Monopoly, I think it's my favourite game. I could never have been a property tycoon though, because I tend to only buy the streets I like, rather than thinking strategically.

Dafeenah said...

Everyone seems to love monopoly. It's on everyone's list (but mine lol). Uno was definitely one of my favorite card games. I have no clue about backgammon but sounds like fun.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for NAKED margarine soaked communal showering games of twister!!

:-) Take care
x

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I don't "get" backgammon and wish I did.

Twister is the best, but not to be played over the age of 30 or your body may be twistED and you'll be sorrrrrryeeee.

Ellie Garratt said...

All of them fabulous games, especially Uno. Brings back such fond memories!

Fun & Games Blogfest

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Can't say I ever played the greased version of Twister, but I can try to talk my wife into it!
Thanks for participating in the blogfest.

PK HREZO said...

Crisco twister sounds awesome! Never tried it. lol... leave it to you!
But man oh man the hours I spent playing Monopoly as a kid. All nighters for sure. And Uno .... good grief! I'd get so mad at that stupid Draw Four card. I was a sore loser as a child and I'd toss my cards up in the air when that Draw Four card came around to me. It's still a touchy subject, as you can tell. ;)

Jan Morrison said...

Scrabble, Pick Two, Rummoli, but right now my favourite game is one I'm creating with my grandkids - Spiral Mountain Quest - a hybrid of Risk, Dungeons & Dragons, Sorry, Clue and our own madcap challenges - mental, physical and spiritual. yeehaw!

Anonymous said...

We have monopoly as a common favorite game. I love Uno and Backgammon. Games where we have to get oiled up? Well, I have yet to try that LOL!

Tonja said...

We love Monopoly too. One time my nine year old managed to purchase everything and then destroyed us with hotels. We took a picture of it. He was so happy!

We used to save the board and do a week-long marathon, but the toddler steals the pieces now and thinks the money is for him. We will be back to Monopoly in two, maybe three, years.

Anonymous said...

Backgammon really takes the bacon don’t you think?
I’m rather hamateurish at it. I prefer monopoly.
Thanks for this fun post.

All the best, Boonie

Sarah Ahiers said...

we play a lot of monopoly in my house, and i almost always win.
Also, i wish i knew how to play backgammon.

Nicki Elson said...

Big time nostalgia with all of your game choices! My Grandma was the first to get Uno and boy did we have some crazy loud games at her house.

Greasy Twister...you ARE a little Tarty little minx, aren't you?

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

UNO is a family favorite in all it's forms.
Crisco Twister? That's a new one for me. LOL

Colene Murphy said...

Crisco twister?! Hilarious! Why didn't I ever do that!? *feels gipped*

Unknown said...

That's so funny! I love how you play Twister.

Jeff Beesler said...

For a while I was hopelessly addicted to the online version of Uno. I'm glad to say I've reverted all of my addictions back to writing.

Pat Tillett said...

there were four boys in my family and most monopoly games ended up in a fight...
Uno I played a lot with my own kids, it's a lot of fun.

Ella said...

Crisco Twister so funny! I can see it, what fab memories! UNO is always a family favorite. In college food fights were my game. I could instill horror running through the dorm with cherries globbed and dangling in my hair. It started 4 floors down with a tray of Cherry Cheese Cake, a guy I liked started it.
Lake card games was my summer, too. My parents use to rent a cottage, then other friends would rent and it would be a line up of swimming, boating, horseshoes and card games!
Thanks for the memories~ I want to see a photo of you playing Crisco Twister! :D

Mary Aalgaard said...

I have never played a greased up game of Twister. Funny! Good old Monopoly is getting lots of press today. Play on!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

awesome. Cause Crisco Monopoly is really not as fun!

Donea Lee said...

Crisco twister and group showers? Awesome. :) I went to the wrong college, I guess!!

And Monopoly is always a great game to play with the fam ~

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I didn't discover Uno until I was an adult. I guess we were deprived.

Ciara said...

I've never played greased up Twister. Sounds like a blast. :) I LOVE Backgammon though. One of my favorite games.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about Backgammon. We haven't played it in forever.

RaShelle Workman said...

Hart - Can't say I've ever criscoed my TWISTER before... but it sounds fun.

Golden Eagle said...

I've only played Uno a few times; I could never really get the hang of it. :P

Backgammon is a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Uno is a blast!

And YES! Another backgammon fan!

Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Frankly, your a naughty, naughty Tart... no where did I put that Twister board?
Lx

Carol Kilgore said...

Really fun games. Congrats on your great Microbrew Mystery progress :)

M Pax said...

I love all those games. Great list. :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Wish I had that much fun in college. Crisco Twister's brilliant.
xoRobyn

Michael Di Gesu said...

Monopoly is my first choice too Hart!

I love Uno, but I didn't mention it because I had stronger favorites.

I totally forgot about Backgammon. I love it!

Denise Covey said...

I'm with you on all but Crisco Twister. What on earth is that? Sounds a hoot.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Backgammon! Love it.

Arlee Bird said...

Never did get Backgammon. It was on the back of the checkerboards but we never played.

I'll take your word on Crisco Twister. I never even played regular Twister and these days I don't think I could contort my body in such ways.


Lee
Tossing It Out

RosieC said...

Crisco Twister! Now you're speaking my language :)

We never played games when I was a kid. My parents had no tolerance for it. I'm not sure what I would pick for this. We played Phase 10 a lot in 4th grade, and I remember we called it "Phrase 10" for the longest time until someone pointed it out to us. :)

In my adult life I like playing Canasta (card game) with family, but it takes hours and I can't get people to play it with me very often. And SET! I love SET. *geeking-out*

Congrats on your 32%. I think you need a higher goal than 50k!

M.J. Fifield said...

Uno's on my list too. I love a good marathon game.

Monopoly didn't make my list but I love to play it.

Precy Larkins said...

Uno's fun to play with friends. That crisco twister game sounds fun and slippery! ;)

Unknown said...

I love the idea of Crisco Twister. Sounds like a very naughty idea and one I may have to try with a certain someone in the near future. LOL! Great picks I loved Uno and Backgammon.

K.C. Woolf said...

Slippery Twister ... why didn't I think of that? :-)

baygirl32 said...

crisco twister.. how did I get through university without that?!?!

Deb and Barbara said...

Love all these games (except Twister Crisco is a new one for me!).Sadly, no one in my house much enjoys games, so I have to wait till my sisters come over...
B

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

oh my gosh, you brought back fun memories with Twister and Uno!

Anonymous said...

Great picks! Thanks for sharing them.

Nate Wilson said...

Okay, now I have to play Crisco Twister. Followed by Crisco Backgammon. And maybe Crisco darts (which I suspect would be quite fun, until someone loses an eye).

vic caswell said...

ohmygoodness! greasing up the twister board!!! that's hilarious! never played backgammon at all, but uno is great! my siblings grandparents had mirrors situated around their dining room table so they could cheat at uno.... and probably poker as well... :)

Online Blackjack said...

Fun and Games Blog Fest play a vital role with all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. There were a couple 'lake' card games. My grandparents had a lake cabin with a big round table, perfect for large card games.