Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Burrow Cubed

I’m periodically a geek, and darned proud of it. So here we go with three cases of Burrows… We’ve got my fellow Burrowers, burrowing, on a day famous for a burrower… and there you have it.


The Most Famous Burrower

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow - predicting six more weeks of winter! How he could see his shadow with not a stitch of sunshine is infinitely beyond me, but there you have it. I think in fact, Phil is really having delusions and sees monsters around every turn, because I’ve never had a winter end in Michigan until well into April. I would be darned PLEASED to only have six more weeks—pretty sure though, that he saw something scarier than that darned shadow…

And you know what I never noticed before just now? Phil looks rather like a wombat. I think it’s possible he is an imposter and surely is responsible for global warming (other than what’s caused by all these giant carbon footprints, I mean). And if he is in fact a wombat, no WONDER he’s going back in his burrow! Wombats are used to a nice WARM country. I’d cuddle back into bed too at such a shock to my system!

The Burrow

This lovely group is (a subset:  5/13 or some such thing, of) my writing group, as any readers who’ve been following for a while know. We are four score blondes, brunettes and red-heads between the ages of 16 and 19 ½, who have been working on our writing careers and providing friendship and support for a couple years now. In fact if memory serves… I think it was spring of 2007 when I first officially joined and my four chapters that had taken me six months to write suddenly began to grow by a couple a month.

The Burrow has a couple members who’ve become less active of late, and I miss the camaraderie we most recently enjoyed about NaNoWriMo time, but one has had a medical thing, one’s had a family thing, and one has a bluddy thesis thing and is perhaps neglecting her digressions as well as her burrowing. But we are still a unit… this is my family, and that is how it goes sometimes.

*sends out recuperative back-to-writing mojo*

But what are we doing?

BURROWING!

[altered artwork from andyandyandy.com] Even though we are short of a quorum this month, we’ve still been at our shenanigans. Valentine’s Day falls in February, as any non-ninny knows, so The Burrow’s February feature is about LOVE in its various forms. Now before you dive for your insulin, know that NO Burrower is a sap, with some silly school-girl take on love. More of us are cynical or practical, or… rounded, than to think love is limited to the romantic type with some annoying machismo hero. Erm… is my cynicism showing? *coughs* But before you then run away thinking… "but this is supposed to be a HAPPY occasion…" know that Chary can be pretty spicy *fans self*  (watch for her strawberry drabble!), and while I am sour on that mindless, annoying love, I DO appreciate what I think of as real world love…

So please, pop on over to the Burrow and check out our February Feature. There is a new Drabble for every day this month!

6 comments:

Cruella Collett said...

Yes, digressions are rare these days. And I'm not sure I was meant to walk a straight line - I seem to be prone to putting my foot in it when I don't get my prescripted amount of detours...

Oh, well. At least it warms my heart to see that the Burrow is doing great also without me. The Valentine's feature looks awesome, and I am eternally impressed how you managed to pull it off (I know better than most how difficult this one's been, having inside information and all). So congratulations! :)



Word verification: "undigrat". I can't make up my mind whether this has something to do with my un-digressionary ways or if it simply is a pun on undies...

Hart Johnson said...

No, no straight lines for us... it's a more interesting journey, with lots of nice furry animals if you meander from time to time.

And I don't know that you could say we're doing great without you... we MISS you! It does LOOK good (Jason did awesome) but Natasha, Chary and I wrote 80% of the content.

ViolaNut said...

If I got more than one day off a month, I might do better. Or I might just sleep. Not sure. Maybe I should be the groundhog... I could use a 6-week hibernation right about now... You guys rock muchly!

WV: vurasted - I think an analogy works here... frunk: drunk :: vurasted: wasted

Yeah. That should do it. ;-)

Natasha said...

When I think back, I wonder how we pulled it off! Any sensible person would have decided that three people doing 25 drabbles between them just doesn't work. But whoever accused us of being sensible.

And I am glad we kept the tradition going!

Cruella Collett said...

I shan't pretend it isn't nice to be missed, but I really am very very very impressed. It looks awesome, and the drabbles I've read so far have been great. And it is a good tradition :)

Hart Johnson said...

Leanne, you really DO need more time off... you need time to WRITE!

And a few determined people can accomplish quite a lot, yes? I think I'm even DONE! though I don't have a blog idea for today *scratches head*

undigrat: the feeling of thanklessness that comes when you go too long without digressing.

Vursted: Contraction: Very+wasted

Yup. Pop 'em in our dictionary! (who was writing our dictionary again?)