Monday, October 19, 2015

Most Exhausting Vacation Ever



It started two days early, which should be a good thing, right? I was signed up to take Thursday and Friday off—nice four-day weekend halfway between Labor Day's long weekend and Thanksgiving's four days off...

But see, a week ago Saturday my husband woke up with back pain—pretty bad. Bad enough that on Sunday he went to urgent care. They prescribed something, but he is in recovery and after talking to people about it he decided it was a bad idea. And by Monday he seemed to be improving.

Then Tuesday. 5 AM... he woke up needing to get out of bed and couldn't. I had to help. And then I had to stay home because he couldn't stand on his own, so I called in sick. I found an acupuncturist who could see him, figuring that might be relief without medication. It didn't help much.

And Wednesday was worse. In fact we spent it in the ER. Six hours. They FINALLY figured out a mix of medications to address the problem without triggering addiction stuff—prednisone for the swelling, a muscle relaxant... and slowly it started to help...

He was up and down on his own Thursday (my first day of vacation) but not up to driving... so we went to the massage appointment... Friday the same... and we went to acupuncture... Friday though, he managed to make dinner, so that was something...

Oh. Did I tell you about the leaky faucet? Yes, through ALL of this our tub faucet was leaking hot water badly enough that we had to keep shutting off the water centrally except while in use. He guided my son through fixing it. Which worked for about 8 hours. Then again... another eight... then he managed it... for a day... every day we've had to re-fix the bloody faucet.

All the chores on me. All the shopping on me. All but the one meal on me. I am freaking exhausted.


And did I write? Yes. I wrote a paragraph. In five days. One paragraph. Though I did diagram my cozy mystery for NaNaWriMo, so that was good. At this point I can't wait to get back to work to get some rest *sigh*

Ah well...12 days...

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

That is a real ordeal! You've got to be exhausted. Six hours in the ER is just awful. Hoping things start looking up soon.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'd be upset if I had to spend that long in the ER, especially twice.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

The fact that you wrote at all during those days is great! Hang in there!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Backs can be serious things that really are tough to treat. Hope he feels better soon.

Chrys Fey said...

I feel terrible for your husband. I understand back problems and the pain of not being able to move. I hope his back gets better soon and that bloody faucet gets fixed!

Arlee Bird said...

Now that's the kind of vacation none of us needs. I've had a couple strange bouts with backaches like you've described. Mysterious (to me) and no fun at all. Leaky faucets are not as easy to fix as they used to be (or again at least for me).

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Diana Wilder said...

Oh, Hart! I am so sorry for you and your husband (your son should be proud of himself for helping out with the hot water system, however it worked). I hope things improve immensely.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That sucked! Hope your husband is feeling better now.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hart - your poor hubby - but yes you too ... I hope things are easier now ... and the faucet is fixed. Good luck to one and all .. cheers Hilary

H. R. Sinclair said...

Bleck. Stinky vacation. I do hope hubby feels better. That had to suck big time!

Terra said...

I hope your husband's back heals soon and that you can enjoy your vacation as he heals.

Andrew Leon said...

Was it... bah, the word has slipped my head. Not my mind, my whole head. Maybe I should say "hole" head.
Back pain sucks.
So do leaky faucets.

Helena said...

I'm so sorry your vacation crashed and burned and that your hubby was in bad pain. May everything clear up soon -- bad backs and bad plumbing -- and you can get some rest.

Stephen Tremp said...

I've had a vacation where I need a vacation to recover. But since I never vacation alone, what else should I expect? Well, I still love my family dearly.

Denise Covey said...

Life does throw us some curve balls, doesn't it? I hope your husband is recovering and you also! Some vacation. And NaNo just around the corner!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, that sounds crappy. Hope your husband's back start feeling better soon and that you get some writing in!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

My ex-husband severely injured his back in 1984. Doctors tried to dope him up with pain meds. He went off of them when he wondered if he was still in pain and he was. Finally, after three surgeries, he had a successful surgery. However, he lived with pain until right after the divorce in 1995 when he miraculously healed. (He was only pain free because he went back on pain meds, my kids said.) I know about doing everything on your own when the other person is down. It's exhausting in so many ways.