Friday, March 1, 2013

ReadySetGasm


So you know how I love to PLAN? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *cough*

And you know how today I'm starting a new BOOK? (Actually, I wrote the first page the other night and a few more last night, since it's not officially a WriMo annallat, so it's not cheating, but March Madness starts today so I'm going to TREAT MARCH like it's a WriMo... I'll call it the MadWriMo...) So last night I got to PLAN! BUWAHAHAHAHA! I am calling it Shooter. That name may change, as it is less about the shooter in a school shooting, and more about another character, but the shooting IS central to the plot... I will leave it at that for now.

My Plan *BUWAHAHAHAHAHA* consists of:

Overkill? I plot goal against actual. This is from an old WriMo
* A formatted word doc with that first pages typed in (that stuff I already wrote—almost 800 words)

* A spreadsheet with daily wordcount goals. For this, I adjusted an old one... I plan on more words on the weekend than during the week, and I always front load, since you never know when stuff might come up and break your flow.

* A timeline with the primary events of the story. Now... I did a chapter by chapter a while back, but I've changed my mind since then... I was including more PoVs because it was a big story, but I have nailed an MC who can be at the center of unearthing most of this, so I think I will stick mostly with her. I will probably have scenes here and there from the 'villain'

* Notes. I have that original outliney thing... a character page... a plots note page... the reworked post-outliney page... my NEW timeliney thing (this one not as thorough, I tend to do some detours in a WriMo, so it is better to build in a little flexibility)

I love getting all this stuff ready... it PLEASES ME!


In Other News:

Not here yet (read: will never be here again)
This is also the start of Month 3 on the Eating/Fitness plan. I still haven't managed to add much more exercise in (though remember I walk to and from work, which totals about 4.5 miles a day), but I DID find my 5 pound hand weights—critical, since one of the 6.5 pound ones seems to have disappeared into the ether. And I HAVE used THOSE a couple times... easy to pick up when I watch a little telivision (I'm rewatching all the Game of Thrones before season 3 starts at the end of the month... 8 episodes to go—2 a week fits perfectly with my laundry folding schedule if I fold real slow)

My EATING, I've done much better on. And I think my improved sleep habits have helped, too. I've lost 17 pounds (putting me at where I started 2012--undoing the damage of my miserable year, but also about 10 pounds below the summer before that (I had just briefly lost weight that fall--can you tell this is a topic that obsesses me?)  so far and 8 inches if I add the waist, hip and butt measurements. So that is good... progress... never mind that it will STILL be late fall before I reach goal... I am losing at a good pace and not miserable. Just impatient.

Best of luck to all who are joining us for March Madness!!! GOOOOOOOOO!


11 comments:

Diana Wilder said...

Wow! I'm excited for you - nothing like that first moment when you have a plot to pursue, an idea of where it might take you and a plan of attack that allows you enough slack to 'discover' side stories or details to deepen things. I'll be watching - and envious! (Must finish this one I'm bringing toward the finish line.)

Tonja Drecker said...

Love your *BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA* plan! Looks very professional with those graphs and such. My hubby would like that. Congrats on the weight thing! And have fun *BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA* writing!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Good luck with the new book! And sounds like you've got some great new habits for the new year, too!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I love reading about your processes. I love planning too.

Congrats on all your good news!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep going.
And you are scary prepared.

Mark Means said...

Eating is key and a great start. Best of luck in your fitness goals!

Unknown said...

Sweet Aunt May! I'd love to be so organized in my writing endeavors ... unfortunately, I prescribe more to the Louis CK model of writing: Lots of rumination and build up, then the words fly onto the page/screen all at once, like an explosive bowel movement. (His example, not mine. :)

And don't assume you'll never get back to a certain weight. I was at 200 lbs when I finally decided to do something about it. I never dreamed I'd get back to my high school weight of 150, and didn't really want to. I just didn't want to drop dead, you know?

Anyway, 7 years later--after many miles run, walked, ellipticaled, etc. and many fast food burgers skipped--I hit 145. I'm not Lebron or Adrian Peterson. I'm a normal, life-fatiquied, frumpy writer dude. If I did it, so can you. :-)

Johanna Garth said...

You're plan is sheer awesomeness. I feel like you could make a second career motivating and organizing writer's writing time!

And big congrats on the weight loss. I know its something you've been working on for a long time and I love your healthy approach to it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

17 pounds in two months is really amazing.

Helena said...

You are so organized and smart, no wonder you (and Ciara Knight) are creative writing machines! And all while losing 17 pounds and counting...

But about "Shooter"... Sorry to say this, but it's the name of a Mark Wahlburg movie. Then again, since this is for a YA book, maybe this fact doesn't matter.

Unknown said...

I am SO happy for you and your plans and your "losses"! IT takes determination and chutzpah, and it appears you have both.
~Just Jill