Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Insecure Much?


Hallo fine people, and welcome to first Wednesday and the Insecure Writer's Support Group. This blog is officially a re-first... what do I mean by that? The first second blog within a week in many many moons.

But enough about that. Welcome to the support group and welcome to writing life 2018, which will hopefully be a significant improvement on writing life 2017 or writing life 2016. Because here is the thing. I haven't finished a new book since 2015.

Yeah. If that isn't something to feel insecure about, I'm not sure what is. I have some 20 finished books under my belt, but somehow things unraveled for me in 2015 and I haven't been able to find it again.

Somehow. I actually know how. My worklife threw me a giant turd and I spent the next 18 months trying to find my place again so I wouldn't end up fire. This left me a big pile of emotional goo when I got home and my several attempts to get going again went amiss.

The good news: I have found that spot so my nerves are no longer shot and my creativity has peeked in on me now and then. In November, while I didn't “win” or finish a book, I DID write 43,000 words. Better than an ordinary month, if not WriMo speed.

I also made a deal with a neighbor, though I need to check in with her again, to hold each other accountable in the new year.

But BEST... as I slept in yesterday (my last day off of 12 days) a good plot unfolded. When I got up I wrote a timeline and thought through some characters and actually started writing.

My intention is to put in at least an hour five days a week. I may have some more intense periods, but that feels sustainable to me. I'm not worrying at this point about publishing and how it fits with my other stuff, as I haven't had much luck selling my other stuff. It is just time to remind myself I love to write and that if I stick to it, I can finish.

What about the rest of you? How are you feeling on writing in the new year?

And please, go check in on some other insecure writers!

20 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

If I had 20 finished novels under my belt, I'd probably be feeling way more zen in this new year than I currently am. :)

43,000 words in a month is a fantastic total. Hope your creativity sticks with you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you are ina stable place now and have your writing mojo back. I've not fared any better than you in the past couple years on the writing front.

Jan Morrison said...

You know I believe in you Tartlette and I'm excited to see you have a new idea spooling. Can't wait to hear more.

Jennifer Lane said...

Happy New Year, Hart!

I've also had work throw me a giant turd and it took me years to recover from the PTSD twitches. Glad the muse is cooperating again. Your word count in November is quite impressive! You got this.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

That was an excellent amount of words in November - be proud! And focusing on the writing right now, not so much the publishing, is much more within your control.

Nick Wilford said...

Glad that the muse is showing her face a little bit again. I know how much work and other life issues can throw us off course. If you stick with that schedule, some great work will amount in no time and I'm sure NaNo was a boost too.

Unknown said...

43,000 words in one month is nothing to sneeze at, my friend. Good for you. Also, it's great to hear that your anxiety levels are down and that your creativity is on the rise. Five hours a week of writing sounds awesome. I wish you the best of luck achieving that goal. Happy writing, and happy 2018. May it bring you great things.

cleemckenzie said...

Let's hope that out of that "emotional goo" comes some splendid stories. Here's to a fabulous 2018.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

One hour of writing what you love might just be enough!

Chrys Fey said...

20 finished books? That is awesome. And 43,000 words is an amazing count. Here's to writing in 2018!

Andrew Leon said...

I got your feels on the not finishing things.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the creative juices are flowing again. But seriously, 43,000 words in one month is nothing to sniff at. You're obviously doing something right! Best to you in 2018.

Toi Thomas said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. So glad you found your place at your job and are back on track with your writing. I too am focusing more on writing and less on publishing. Best of luck with your goals this year.

Helena said...

The fact that you're writing again is very good news! But I'm so sorry about the (now resolved) turdish job situation. I'm mostly feeling exhausted these days, although emotionally things are okay for me. And in a couple of weird creative bursts I suddenly figured out the full plot for my sci fi novel. So maybe I'll finish it this year... (famous last words)

dolorah said...

So glad you are getting your writing mojo back. My muse took a leave of absence for about 3 years. I'm feeling inspired again. Here's hoping we both have a more productive 2018 :)

Botanist said...

If you can find an hour a day, you can get a lot done in a year. Good luck!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hart - I'm so pleased you're feeling easier with life - now just enjoy your new revived creativity and have a happy positive 2018 - cheers Hilary

Crystal Collier said...

43K is epic. I'm so glad you're getting back to a good place! Nothing stinks quite as bad as when life is completely out of balance. I think we have seasons when writing is easier. I'm hoping this year proves to be one of the best seasons for you.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

YOU are a good writer. I am not going to tell you to continue to write, because you are a writing machine and I KNOW you must write. :) I had a hard time wanting to go back to work after my beloved Christmas break 14 days counting weekends. We'll have Spring break in March/April (last/first week)so I have to look forward, too.

CA Heaven said...

I just got back to writing after a 6 month break, or lack of motivation. We'll see what this year will bring >:)

Cold As Heaven