Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Second Time This Week!


Hallo fine peoples! And welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group!

Is everybody holding up on this back to school stuff? Three out of four cities I've lived in have been college towns and I solidly hold to liking those towns better when the majority of the students are absent. Traffic chaos, cluttered sidewalks. How is a girl to read while walking with all these people about?

Okay, and to the question of the month.... What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why?

Far be it for me to be traditional, but honestly, I've tried both. And I am NOT a great self promoter (which I know you need for both, BUT, for self publishing you need to cover a lot more bases yourself). The book placement is HUGE. Getting it into book stores. There is also the editing process. Collaborating with a publisher is helpful. After my brief run (a trilogy) at self publishing I have determined I am just not cut out for it. I AM however, debating smaller publishers over the two tiered agent process. Maybe it's just because my luck with agents has been rather grim. Though they DO know the publishers and who might want a particular book... So not fully decided. I have 3 books I've thought were ready for a couple years, but the agent process breaks me down every time... I do a round or two and lose heart.

So enough about me... now go visit some OTHER Insecure Writers!

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You still have time and options. I know I couldn't do all the promotion stuff.

Jan Morrison said...

I'm with you kid! Nothing happening anywhere. For the next while I'm sticking to poetry. The long game is getting hard. Glad you're back in the blogging saddle. Now I'm home I might join you.

Toi Thomas said...

Happy IWSG Day!

I've heard good things about small presses. It's even something I've considered and I love self-publishing. In any case, keep at it. I'm sure you'll find the right path for you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Getting into bookstores is difficult even for small presses. DLP does better with libraries. And they don't return books.

Karen Lynn said...

The thing that keeps me going with submissions is the idea they can't possibly ignore me any harder than they already are. Good luck!

Crystal Collier said...

I've decided contests are the way to go. You can skip the cold querying and jump straight to agents whose heads you've already turned. Also, it seems that many people do things the opposite way and land an agent AFTER they have an interested publisher. I know that doesn't make much sense, but if you're looking at the long term, it probably does.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Hart - it's good to see you around. Good luck with whichever process you decide to go with ... just keep going - cheers Hilary

Tamara Narayan said...

I know what you mean. Querying is such a long, grueling process and that's just the beginning. I can't imagine the pressure of being "on submission" (but I'd sure like to find out someday!)

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Querying sucks, but most of the time the responses have nothing to do with you. Agents read hundreds of queries a day, their full attention never goes to every one. And many time they're looking for something specific, so fair enough if your book doesn't fit their exact mold. Keep trying.

IWSG September

Nick Wilford said...

There is always self-promotion involved even with a big publisher. Can't escape it! I need to get better at that too.

Don't give up on agents. Sometimes it's a case of getting the right book to the right person on the right day. I tried agents on my first book but I now realise it was premature. It was nowhere near my best offering. I haven't ruled anything out and it's nice to have different possibilities open.

dolorah said...

The promotional stuff daunts me also. And the agent rejections.

Chrys Fey said...

I like it better where I live when it's back-to-school season, too. The summer here is full of students...just another reason why I stay in during the summer. That and it's too hot. lol

I've always wanted an agent, but lately I'm not so sure now...especially since I realized that many agents are selling books to small presses, where you can submit to without an agent.

Botanist said...

I think the promotion aspect bites you even with trad pubs. I hate the thought of it - I just can't bring myself to sell myself - but I've learned never to pass up the opportunity to give a talk on some writing topic, or a book reading. I feel better when I'm giving something to a group of people than simply asking them to buy my book.

Mel Chesley said...

I have had to learn a LOT about self promotion. I tell you what, it's a full time freaking job! Someday, I would like to try traditional publishing and see just how far I can go. It'll be an interesting journey for sure. Oh, and HI!!!!!!!

Helena said...

Hart, you've been plenty good enough to be published by trad publishers, so please hang in there and get published again. It's a grimly nerve-killing process, but your books are worth it. I'll send good thoughts your way and hope that helps.