Wednesday, October 4, 2017

First Wednesday Once Again

And still no rhythm...

Oh, my friends, what to do.

Oh, right... proper intro. Welcome to the Insecure Writer's Support Group and our meeting first Wednesday of every month!

I did manage to get started on a timeline... it is a story I've meant to write for a very long time but had not felt up to it. My family story... or rather my grandfather's. It is a sad tale, riddled with tragedies, but it is also one for which I want to shed light. There is a villain who needs exposing. So I am putting together the timeline of what I know and overlaying a timeline of national, international and local history, along with what I can about personalities. So that's not nothing.

And now for this month's question...

Have you ever slipped any of your personal information into your characters, either by accident or on purpose?

Rocky Point on Lake Chatcolet
Hmmm...  I guess all of them have a bit... I am not good at making it all up, so there are scraps of personality in there. I've also included a physical trait now and then. Cam and Annie in my cozy series both have the uncolor hair I have (that shade between blonde, brown and red that actually has no name)--they have bonded over the fact--it is how they became friends. Kenny and Amanda are tall like I am. Sometimes I include a relationship that I have, but when I do this, these are the shortcuts--the details that the story is NOT about, but provide a sort of grounding. OH!  Also Appearing takes place at a lake cabin exactly where my parents' lake cabin was... There is that... So I guess I do. But hopefully not too heavily.

How about all of you?

17 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

Love the storyline. And I think it's impossible to not put bits of us in our characters. Afterall, we're always told: write what you know. Unless we're writing about a serial killer or other criminal.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope you do put your grandfather's story to paper.
Isn't that color strawberry blond or something?

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Sounds intense! Good for you for wanting to give life to the story and for getting the timeline done.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

With my books, I've always said Lori was who I was striving to be while Sarah was closer to the real me.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Good luck with the new story!

Honestly, as long as it's well-concealed, I don't really see anything wrong with slipping in personal things into our writing. (This may be because I do it a good deal. :) )

Christine Rains said...

I think we all slip a little of ourselves into our characters whether we realize it or not. :) Good luck with your story.

Andrew Leon said...

It doesn't matter how heavily. Generally speaking, your readers don't know you, so they don't know what comes from you. If it makes the story better, use it!

Misha Gerrick said...

Sounds like you have a mammoth task ahead of you. Good luck with it!

Nick Wilford said...

Adding in details like that can give a story an extra layer of authenticity, I think. Your grandfather's story sounds very intriguing. Good luck with it!

Jay Noel said...

I think many authors add some real life into their stories subconsciously. It's tough not to!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

That sounds like quite a project and an interesting story. I’ve never yet written anything that’s entirely fictional. I like to tell stories and maybe I just haven’t run out of the ones that I’ve been a part of.

Trisha said...

The one time I tried to write a non-fiction work (travel memoir), it didn't go far. As fascinating as my world trip with my dad at the age of 17 was, for some reason i have an easier time writing fiction!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

You are a brave one following this non-fiction endeavor. All the best and knock them dead!

Diane Burton said...

Good luck with your story based on your family history. I insert pieces of myself into my characters. My female PI is tall (much taller than me) and a bit clumsy (definitely me). Another character is afraid of heights much more than I am. As I said, bits & pieces.

Helena said...

I'm sure that parts of me and definitely parts of people I know slip into my writing, but I always try to make the character real and separate from me.

Your grandfather's story sounds important, and villains should always be exposed. I wish you very well with its telling.

Unknown said...

Hi there! In my current WIP my female protag has pink hair. I was inspired by my daughter's pink hair at the time I came up with the story idea. My daughter no longer has pink hair, but my protag, Amy, was born like that and it's the apocalypse so she can't change it. It does get her a lot of unwanted attention.
Thanks for sharing, you'll find your rhythm soon, I'm sure.
Ann

Patsy said...

Well done for starting your timeline. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part, so I hope you're managing to add a little more to it.