Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Mind Those Teeth!!!


I bet this is the only blog you see about teeth today, but I have an excuse.

So I just got a deep cleaning. For those of you unaware, this is what happens when you neglect your every six month check-ups and fall back on flossing. You end up needing then to dig in there and do a little cleaning UNDER the gumline.

My mouth hurts.

So don't do that. Floss at least 3 or 4 times a week. Go to the dentist every six months. It may not be your favorite activity, but it is better than the other thing...


And it's got me thinking... Teeth can be a really striking part of a person's appearance. I remember falling for a guy named Wendell in college because he had the same wonky teeth as David Bowie. He also had the two tone eye thing, but both were blue with brown specs, rather that one of each eye, but never mind. The mouth... that the crooked could appeal to me so much because it reminded me of Bowie...

Some people really love straight, white teeth, and don't we all want them, but that filed eye teeth thing movie stars do? Not for me. Gimme natural edges. I also prefer bigger teeth to smaller teeth, but it's not a deal breaker.

But OTHER than that straight, white teeth thing... how often are teeth mentioned in fiction? I mean grody teeth are shorthand for meth-heads, so there is a genre or two that get into that domain...

There is a Zadie Smith novel actually called white teeth... about a heroine with NO front teeth at the start... I remember liking the book but it's been ages, so I don't remember much about it, though I know white teeth were something associated with class and self confidence.

So how do YOU feel about teeth? Do you include them in your descriptions? What are your favorite tooth mentions in books? Unusual teeth on characters in movies or TV?

10 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

You bring up a good point, Hart. I don't recall teeth being mentioned in a story unless a character has a missing tooth or a gold cap on a tooth. You read about someone having a lovely smile but rarely are the teeth mentioned in the description. Hope your mouth is feeling better.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't think I've ever mentioned teeth in my books and I rarely see it mentioned in others.
Always floss! I floss twice a day.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your post is very timely with all the stuff in the news last week about how there's no proof flossing really does anything. Not sure I believe it so I'll keep on flossing and visiting the dentist twice a year.

Andrew Leon said...

Did you see that flossing has been partially, at least, debunked?

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I recently went to the dentist, too, and the cleaning took longer than usual with more scraping. Ugh.

I use a lot of "tooth" references in my dark fiction - fangs, biting, tearing, etc. Does that count? :)

Tamara Narayan said...

"Smile" is a great YA graphic novel about a girl and her teeth (after the front two are knocked out in an accident. I highly recommend it.

I don't know if I've commented on my characters' teeth. Good question.

Yolanda Renée said...

I did that once, and only once. You're right, ouch! Now it's every 6 months religiously! I still struggle with the flossing, but a few times a month has to be better than none. lol The best thing I did for myself was buy the electric brush! Miracle worker!
But you're right don't recall mentioning teeth, unless, as other's said they were missing. :)

Arlee Bird said...

I can't recall ever writing about teeth, but I often notice them when I'm watching a film. I've been pretty bad about tooth care, but I guess I've been pretty lucky overall in retaining my teeth. I've got some major teeth work coming up soon and not looking forward to it at all. Hate going to the dentist.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Helena said...

Except for Dracula and Les Miserables, the only novel I can think of that refers to teeth is Gone with the Wind--Rhett Butler's are big and shiny and kind of like a predatory big cat's.

As for my teeth--what a pain! Had braces twice, I floss every night, but I still get plaque. My dentist said it has something to do with the chemicals in my mouth. Damn.

Crystal Collier said...

Actually, I like teeth as a show of something sinister. Maybe that sounds crazy, but put very white teeth in a dark room with a grin and you'll get the picture.